xp64 deleted "mounteddevices" key in registry

kaibraine

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
I have a real bad problem. I recently cloned a new harddrive, the old one was a 60gb ide and the new one a 200gb sata. I used Norton ghost to copy the drives over to the new partitions (i was dual booting xp pro and xp pro x64). I cloned the original c: drive which was the old xp pro to partition 1 on the new drive and made the drive active and restored the mbr. I then cloned the f: drive which contained x64 to partition 2 on the new drive, I didnt allocate any drive letters. Anyway, the new xp pro on partition 1 loaded up fine, but when I tried to load up x64 on partition 2 it got as far as the blue "welcome" screen but wouldnt open the login box. So after some detective work I figured that it must be a drive letter allocation problem. I found some advice relating to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/mounteddevices key which allocates drive letters to the drives, and disk cloning. the advice is here http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm
It told me to delete the values in this key before cloning so I did this but silly me doesn't back up the registry first then goes and deletes the key instead of the values. Now I am left with two partitions on two drives. Each with x64 on them and unable to boot into them (they still freeze on the welcome screen when the are looking for the wrong drives) I tried the win98 fdisk fix but it never worked. I am assuming because it isnt the system or boot partitions the x64 is on. Anyway is there any way I can recover this OS now? I have thought if i could restore the "mounteddevices" key somehow it may work but I have no idea how this may work. Any Gurus out there with any advice?

kaibraine

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
I worked this out myself. I had partitioned my 200gb harddrive to 2 partitions of 60gb each for the op systems and had 80gb unpartitioned space. XP64 had previously been allocated drive f: on the PATA drive. I took the remaining 80gb and made two partitions. One of 10gb that i'll use for extracting large temporary files, this is partition 3 and gets allocated drive letter E: by the system. The remaining 70gb I made partition 4 and I cloned the XP64 system to it. As I hoped it was allocated drive letter f: and after editing the boot.ini to reflect the new location of XP64 I was able to log in! Also the registry key I deleted was rewritten by the system as I hoped would have happened before so no troubles there. Now I got My new SATA working with my PATA as a backup, YAY!!

:lol: