Is an upgrade worth it?

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
I am looking at upgrading my current system. My games look fabulous, but I can tell (especially in WOW), that my CPU may be bottlenecking my graphics card. My question is, is it worth ditching my AGP card and going PCI-x, or could I get some more use out of it? Money doesnt really concern me for the most part, but if I could get at least another year out of my card before HAVING to upgrade, I may just do that. Here is my current system:

AMD Mobile 2500+ @ 2.5g
1g Kingston Hyper-x pc3200
BFG 6800GT OC agp
Asus A7N8X Deluxe

I was thinking of purchasing a 3500+ and a 7800gt on an asus mobo, would I notice a difference just purchasing a new mobo and CPU but staying AGP, or would it be more wothwhile to to purchase a PCI-x mobo and card? If I stayed on a new AGP board and kept my current graphics card, I could use the extra money to go with 2g's of kingston ram. Any opinions would be greatly valued as I can't make up my mind right now. :)

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
IMHO it would be worthwhile to go ahead and upgrade to another mobo with PCI-e graphics. The 7800gt has quite a performance leap on the 6800gt. I think it would be this option that would give you the most performance.

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Could also balance the upgrade:

Buy the asrock motherboard with both an agp and pcie slot, then upgrade your card at a later date.

IMHO though yes you will see huge gains with the 7800gt and you will be able to get a good price for the 6800 on ebay. Bite the bullet sell the old stuff and upgrade to complete pci-e