invisableflames

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
A few days ago i was reading all the overclocking tips and decided i need to push a little more out of my processor. i have a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core. i am useing a Asus A8N-E motherboard. i was using the genclock overclock utility to slowly bring the machines clock up. i get get the speed then increase by 1 and kept repeating. i had a multi of 10, 1.4v and when i hit 217MHz i got a BSOD and it restarted. now i was very confused i wasnt expecting it to do that untill like 230MHz or so, becuase i have had it clocked at 2.2GHz with the Asus Overclock utility. well when the system came back up it was only running at 1.664GHz with a 10 mult and 166.4MHz HTT. so i brought it up to 2GHz with the clockgen and it went down agian BSOD. i reset all BIOS setting to default with a few things like floppy drive disaled and onboard sound turned off and no matter what i do it boots with a 1.664GHz speed. i can slowly raise it but it will BSOD and die around the 2GHz mark. WTF happened. how come i could have it clocked at 2.2 a while ago and now i cant even get the stated 2GHz out of it?

any ideas?

Ampz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
There are some factors involved there. When you use clockgen you should always put your ram on a lower divider. If you have ddr400 ram set it for 333 this way when you raise the FSB you are not going to exceed the rams stock speed (you can do ram later) also the htt multi needs to be lowered in order not to make you unstable. If your normally 200fsb x5 htt = 1000htt and u raise fsb to 220 that would make the htt 1100 which most likely wont be stable. Always keep the htt at or below 1000 it wont hurt performance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're having problems because you don't know the right way to do things. My first inclination would be that your busses are being overclocked with your CPU using Windows overclocking utilities. IN fact, I've had the problem quite frequently and only use such utilities for SMALL adjustments.

You really have to learn how to adjust your settings manually in BIOS. And no, I didn't say using Asus's overclocking utility, I said MANUALLY.

Should have no problem booting at 220x10 using 1.45v. In fact, you'll probably have no problems going to 240x10 at 1.55v either. BIOS is your friend!

invisableflames

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
when i adjust settings in the bios the computer stays at 2.0. i turn the ram clock to 333 and adjust the cpu to 220 with 10X and the computer will boot at 2015. that is with the core at 1.45. when i adjust it to 240 the computer freses as soon as bios starts to pass control over to windows.

kakashi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
A few days ago i was reading all the overclocking tips and decided i need to push a little more out of my processor. i have a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core. i am useing a Asus A8N-E motherboard. i was using the genclock overclock utility to slowly bring the machines clock up. i get get the speed then increase by 1 and kept repeating. i had a multi of 10, 1.4v and when i hit 217MHz i got a BSOD and it restarted. now i was very confused i wasnt expecting it to do that untill like 230MHz or so, becuase i have had it clocked at 2.2GHz with the Asus Overclock utility. well when the system came back up it was only running at 1.664GHz with a 10 mult and 166.4MHz HTT. so i brought it up to 2GHz with the clockgen and it went down agian BSOD. i reset all BIOS setting to default with a few things like floppy drive disaled and onboard sound turned off and no matter what i do it boots with a 1.664GHz speed. i can slowly raise it but it will BSOD and die around the 2GHz mark. WTF happened. how come i could have it clocked at 2.2 a while ago and now i cant even get the stated 2GHz out of it?

any ideas?

Maybe this might help you out;
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2548

NeoSpear

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
My 3200+ Venice is at a nice stable 2.7Ghz which runs a few marks above the FX55 clawhammer in PCmark04 cpu tests.

I raised the fsb to 270 lowered the HTT to 4 and put the CPU voltage as high as my MSI Diamond allowed which is like 1.55-1.59volts or summit. My memory was put down to stop it being overclocked.

Cooler i am using is the Zalman 7700Cu which runs my cpu at a nice temp of 40C under load @ 2.7Ghz. Can reach 45 sometimes.

700Mhz is a nice overclock for mere air cooling :D

Comas

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Yes well, then again there are also clockgen designed for nforce 4 which is what his board is. If you have picked that then I don't think that is the problem.

Have you tried changin your HTT multiplier in bios?
I have had problem with that, but if you can change your HTT multiplier then try that.

invisableflames

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
The problem has gone away now. The comouter boots up fine (2.0 GHz) but the memory says it is only DDR 333 when before it was 400. i think the reason it was crashing was i didnt adjust anything i would boot the machine and then use clockgen to adjust the setting and it would go down after 2.17 GHz. i have set the HTT Mult to 4x and left the mem at 333 and i can get the system to 2.4 easily. i ran Prime 95 for 2 hours and didnt get any errors. the CPU temp was around 45 degrees i didnt know if that was hot or not. normally it runs at 32 degrees with a minimal load. thanks for the help guys.

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
You're suffering from a case of shitty RAM, my friend. That 333Mhz setting doesn't directly affect the speed of your RAM, but rather divides your CPU frequency a number of times (based on what multiplier your CPU is set at, I believe) to get your RAM frequency. I'd be willing to bet that your RAM can't handle the frequencies that you've unknowingly set it at.

Check my post here for a better description of the RAM divider settings on that motherboard.