No firewall or av: performance up?

Hi,

I am thinking of dedicating an extra pc to FS9 multiplayer simming over the
internet. In order to get best performance, I am thinking of NOT installing
a firewall or antivirus program, unlike my current pc. Would I even notice
the difference in performance and would it be worth the trouble to run the
risk of getting infected by some virus?

TIA!
11 answers Last reply
More about firewall performance

    Don't connect to the internet without a firewall. A hardware firewall may be your best solution if you want more
    performance. You aren't going to see much. Maybe 1/2 or 1 full FPS at most.
    If you decide to not run AV while flying don't forget to turn it back on anytime you go surfing. If you've set your AV
    up to not scan your FS folders you aren't going to notice any perf gain.

    Not worth the risk IMO, but I hate rebuilding machines.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> schreef in bericht
    > Don't connect to the internet without a firewall. A hardware firewall may
    be your best solution if you want more
    > performance. You aren't going to see much. Maybe 1/2 or 1 full FPS at
    most.
    > If you decide to not run AV while flying don't forget to turn it back on
    anytime you go surfing. If you've set your AV
    > up to not scan your FS folders you aren't going to notice any perf gain.
    >
    > Not worth the risk IMO, but I hate rebuilding machines.
    >
    > --
    > ...Carl Frisk
    > Anger is a brief madness.
    > - Horace, 20 B.C.
    > http://www.carlfrisk.com

    Thanks for putting my problem in the right perspective. If I gain 1 FPS,
    perhaps it wouldn't be worth the risk indeed. On the other hand, I've now
    started the research on this subject, it cost me time already, then why not
    complete the entire project...lol....
    Thanks Carl!

    Both of you thanks for the input.
    I already have a router, for the homenetwork's connection to the internet.
    Which means I actually have 2 firewalls...lol... I could turn of the
    software firewall on my machine, that is, if I can trust my neighbours...

    HEnk wrote:
    > Both of you thanks for the input.
    > I already have a router, for the homenetwork's connection to the internet.
    > Which means I actually have 2 firewalls...lol... I could turn of the
    > software firewall on my machine, that is, if I can trust my neighbours...

    Be careful! A router is not the same as a firewall. Although a router
    blocks all traffic from the Internet (unless allowed and forwarded to a
    specific computer behind the router), it doesn't prevent
    worms/virusses/mass-mailers etc from inside your network to access the
    Internet.

    Since your system runs solely FS there's little risk of getting infected
    (unless you install add-ons obtained with online-sharing-software).
    Don't forget other systems on your network could infect your FS-system,
    so run AV software on them!

    Cheers!

    Actually most routers that I've used include a hardware firewall. Though your precaution is an excellent point to
    check.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Sjaakie" <sjaakie@_SPAMSTOP_bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:42496496$0$139$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
    > HEnk wrote:
    >> Both of you thanks for the input.
    >> I already have a router, for the homenetwork's connection to the internet.
    >> Which means I actually have 2 firewalls...lol... I could turn of the
    >> software firewall on my machine, that is, if I can trust my neighbours...
    >
    > Be careful! A router is not the same as a firewall. Although a router blocks all traffic from the Internet (unless
    > allowed and forwarded to a specific computer behind the router), it doesn't prevent worms/virusses/mass-mailers etc
    > from inside your network to access the Internet.
    >
    > Since your system runs solely FS there's little risk of getting infected (unless you install add-ons obtained with
    > online-sharing-software).
    > Don't forget other systems on your network could infect your FS-system, so run AV software on them!
    >
    > Cheers!

    Well someone will correct me if they disagree, but routers are normally
    natural firewalls. As if setup correctly and when your IP address is
    under attack, they can indeed attack the routers ports, but can't get to
    the your computer(s) ports. Since the router will not send them to the
    computer(s). Thus nothing happens.

    I run a 2Wire Home Portal 1000HG which is an ADSL modem, a wireless
    router, and a hardware firewall all in one. Seems to be really securely
    stable to me. While this isn't totally fool proof, anybody worried can
    check out this website:

    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    Then click on Proceed. The run all of the basic tests. If you pass with
    a Stealth rating, a hacker will not even find anything using your IP
    address. And this means unless your visit a malicious website or
    something, There isn't anything a hacker can really do anyway. As to
    them, you are totally invisible.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:55:17 -0800

    I agree with you that it is a reasonable solution. The discrepancy is most likely due to the fact that the security
    guys are trying to lock down corporations with 100's even 1000's of users. In which case they are correct. For home
    use though unless you have a really big family living with you Zone Alarm is fine except for the CPU resources needed.
    You are pretty safe with the alternatives you discussed. I mean it just doesn't make sense to go out and buy a $30,000
    hardware firewall to protect your PC that is used for web surfing, etc.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message news:1c68q5sqmh5eu.dlg@uni-berlin.de...

    Looks like a good home solution to me!

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:55:17 -0800

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 03:41:09 GMT, BillW50 wrote:
    > https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    That's a very good site for testing. I use a LinkSys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL
    Router, and it is VERY secure:

    Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
    One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE!
    Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered
    with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect
    to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR
    computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which
    represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine
    configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and
    intrusion.

    Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
    All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This
    is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to
    vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY
    SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking
    protocol over the Internet.

Performance Firewalls Video Games