XP System Tray Network Icon in 7?

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
This may sound like a dumb question but, as a long time XP support tech guy, I really miss the system tray network connection icon that use to be in XP. This little icon was actually very informative when troubleshooting network connectivity problems because it actual showed a true representation of send and receive signals. The little icon that looked liked two monitors, the lower screen would light up when sending and the upper screen would light up when receiving. The new icons that appear in Vista and 7 are just animations that don't show anything connected with what is actually going on. In XP, if I were experiencing a connection problem I could look at the icon and quickly tell if the problem was on local machine or with the server. Why Microsoft would replace such a useful icon with a dumb animation is a step backwards.

My question is whether or not there is a way to get this icon back in Vista and 7?

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Hum.. Not even a comment in all this time. I am I the only one who knew about this?