New Folder in My Documents

mia

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002

When I try to create a new folder in my documents it doesn't immediately
appear and I need to Refresh in order to see it. Is this normal for Windows
XP or is there a way to fix this so that it pops up right after I create it?

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:13:06 -0700, Mia wrote:

> When I try to create a new folder in my documents it doesn't immediately
> appear and I need to Refresh in order to see it. Is this normal for Windows
> XP or is there a way to fix this so that it pops up right after I create it?

After creating the new folder, where are you looking to see it? Try looking
at the very end of the folder/file list. New items are placed in this
location. Handy, at times - especially if you're adding or updating many
new items and trying to keep track of which files and folders you've
already addressed. The behavior can be annoying if you're not expecting it
or don't need it for the current task at hand.

The new items will readjust in the list based on your normal sort order the
next time you refresh or open Explorer. Or you could force a sort by using
any of the various sort methods (button on toolbar, menu command, context
commands, clicking on header bars if using Details view). Usually there is
no need to select a different sort order, reselecting your preferred
setting right away is often all that is needed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

mia

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002

Hey Sharon,

Unfortunately, this is not the answer to my problem. I'm having this
problem in folders that have only a couple items in them, therefore I don't
have the problem of not being able to see all of the contents at once. Any
other advice?

Thanks

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:59:02 -0700, Mia wrote:

> Hey Sharon,
>
> Unfortunately, this is not the answer to my problem. I'm having this
> problem in folders that have only a couple items in them, therefore I don't
> have the problem of not being able to see all of the contents at once. Any
> other advice?
>
> Thanks

Ouch. In that case, it could possibly be a video driver problem or a
limitation in your display adapter configuration. Some things to try:

System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings> Visual Effects: Select
"Adjust for best performance." OK your way back to the desktop. If this
helps, and you would like to add some effects back in - use the Custom
section and add one or two things at a time and then test folder
creation/appearance again.

If your display adapter borrows system RAM for video RAM, check
documentation for the adapter to see if you can up the amount of RAM it is
using.

Adjust refresh rate for the monitor:

Check for an updated display driver at the manufacturer's website. Check at
the computer manufacturer site first if the card was preinstalled. Check
the site of manufacture of the display adapter if none are available or if
the display adapter was added you.

One or all of those changes might help. Try one, then test by creating a
new folder before trying another.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User