• yes you i and it was suspect

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • no i havent ive been lucky

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

jocksteeluk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
hello folks, im just wondering has anyone else had any hardware break just after its gurantee expires?

I had a 12x lg dvdrw which i used literally no more than 15 times (writing and reading combined) in the first year of purchase then the hour after the gurantee expired it refused to function full stop. All the cables were fine, the drive was powered as the draw would open and close and it showed up in windows so im thinking it was suspect, i wont be buying an LG drive for a very long while.

Does anyone know if this happends often with certain brands or items or have i just been unlucky this time?

blackdog2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
talk about a ticking time bomb.
i bought a pc with a three year warranty and the maxtor hdd seems to be failing 4 years on. it started asting up about nine months but is still going.albeit in ata-33!!!

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I have an LG dvdrw been burning since I got it, its been about a year. I only use it for burning or reading scrached disk. I can say they don't last long if using for a everday disk reader i go through 1 cdrom ever year nomatter what brand I buy. My writers usually last 2 to 3 years or more.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I used to swear Western Digital put a timer in their replacement drives. If your original failed under warranty, the new warranty lasts either the original warranty period or 90 days, whichever is longer. Every drive I've had replaced just before the warranty expired lasted around 92 days before it failed.