Sign in with
Your question

Asus a8r-mvp troubleshooting?help plz

Last response: in Overclocking
January 7, 2006 10:53:17 PM

ok i just bought brand new products for my computer.
300 gb barracuda hdd
ati x1800 xt 512mb
asus a8r-mvp mobo
amd x2 3800 cpu
1gb ram

ok i hooked everything up and i was getting ready to power up. put plug in outlet and pushed power button. for one millisecond all of the lights flash, like the leds on my fans and all. and then nothing happens when i push it again untill i take out power cable wait till the mobo standby light shuts off and put back in power cable and push the power button again, then same thing happens. the problem isnt the cpu i double checked. its not the graphix card, and im pretty sure its not the hdd. i cant find out what the freaking problem is. i talked to my bro-in-law about it ( works with computers as a carrer) and we coudnt figure out the problem. and the asus support site is down. i need help plz thx
January 9, 2006 7:06:24 PM

Just a gues but did you check your power supply .
I have the same mobo and when hooked two X850s it fried the power supply your might have a over voltage switch or something like that in the supply
Good Luck
ps if you game online you may find poor perfomance its just the network card in the m/b I changed the drivers it helped i found a link from asus forums to get that driver
here is the link http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverSearchResults.do
try the 8.46.3.4 driver
January 9, 2006 7:29:46 PM

ya ive got a 600 watt psu and where is this link for the update for the network card?
Related resources
January 9, 2006 8:03:01 PM

Have you tried this procedure?

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/FAQ-Rev-02-26-0...

Check to make sure nothing is shorting the motherboard out from underneath. Unplug everything just plug in the power connectors and use a jumper to turn the system on by touching the jumper to the PWR ON header pins.

Try with and without having the PC speaker plugged in, do you get any beepcodes with the speaker?

Semper Fi carry on

PS Do you have a digital multimeter?
January 9, 2006 9:15:54 PM

i found this in that link.
Q. My new system doesn't work; the fans turn on 3 seconds and then turn off, or
Q2. My new system won’t respond at all, won’t post?

A. Most likely cause of this situation is the motherboard being grounded by a misplaced mounting post. Check to make sure all the post line up with all the holes in the motherboard, and remove any posts that don't.
what does it mean that the mobo is grounded by misplaced mounting post? what are the posts? are thy the holes you screw into the motherboard to the mobo tray. this is exactly what is happening to my computer.

ps- what is a digital multimeter, and no i do not get any beeps with the speakers
January 9, 2006 9:37:55 PM

Quote:
A multimeter is an electronic measuring instrument that combines several functions in one unit. The most basic instruments include an ammeter, voltmeter, and ohmmeter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_multimeter

http://images.google.com/images?q=digital+multi-meter&h...

Check to make sure none of the brass motherboard standoffs are shorting the motherboard out. Unplug everything but the power, turn the system on with a jump and see what happens.

Make sure the CPU and HSF (heatsink and fan) are seated correctly.
January 9, 2006 9:47:32 PM

January 9, 2006 10:27:51 PM

hey i think your right!!!!! i took the mobo out of the case and psu and it started up perfectly. i put it back in the case screwed in some screws and tried starting it and nothing!!!!! so something is shorting out its the screws or something. i have 3 brass standoffs im using and the rest im using the screws right into the tray. should i send you a pic of the screw arrangements? i want this working!
January 9, 2006 10:33:43 PM

Please do post whatever pix you may have.

Thanks.

Semper Fi carry on
January 9, 2006 10:45:14 PM

ok the fans spin and led light up for about 11 seconds before they shut off. i unscrewed everything but it turns on for a longer time then with the screws screwed in.

January 9, 2006 10:49:57 PM

Checking out the pix.

Please stand by.

Semper Fi carry on
January 9, 2006 10:56:52 PM

i do have a cable underneath the heat sick and fan between the hs and the cpu. its the cooldrive 4 heat sensor for the cpu. should i take that out?
January 9, 2006 11:03:44 PM

That motherboard has 9 holes and requires 9 standoffs.

I marked all the holes.

Make sure there are no standoffs anywhere but underneath those marked holes.

Also make sure the motherboard is installed correctly so the standoffs are not shorting out any components under the motherboard.

If the motherboard in not correctly aligned that could be causing all kinds of problems.

If you could take a picture of the case with just the standoffs that would be great.

Also check to make sure none of the front panel connectors are plugged in backwards.

Some motherboards will not boot up correctly if certain connectors are plugged in backwards or are otherwise hooked up incorrectly.

Semper Fi carry on.
January 9, 2006 11:06:58 PM

well i dont have screws in every hole because the mobo tray is at a slant so i use the brass standoffs for the last 3 vertical holes to level them out
January 9, 2006 11:08:48 PM

Yes please do for right now. Try to eliminate / remove everything that could be causing a problem regardless of what it is.

Also check to see if any components on the motherboard are loose, broken or appear damaged. Also check to see if any capacitors are buldging or leaking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
January 9, 2006 11:12:40 PM

ok here are the pics
January 9, 2006 11:38:43 PM

Slanted how???

Is the motherboard tray bent out of shape or something?

That could be causing all kinds of issues.... the motherboard should be resting completely flat on the 9 standoffs.

If there is something in the way please remove it.

You do not have to use all 9 screws to secure the motherboard however it is recommended you use all 9 standoffs as long as they are not shorting anything out. If you do not use all 9 standoffs the board may sag while you're trying to plug cables in or install more RAM, etc. which could cause damage to the board.

Semper Fi carry on
January 9, 2006 11:43:15 PM

are you sure your supposed to use brass standoffs? i also have plastic ones. brass is a conductor of electricity and you dont want the metal to touch your mobo so why not use the plastic standoffs.
January 9, 2006 11:59:52 PM

You need standoffs 0-8 installed for a total of 9.

You cannot balance the motherboard on only 3 standoffs without shorting it out.
January 10, 2006 12:02:13 AM

i used the plastic standoffs and the same thing is happening and the board isnt touching any metal!!! but it still stays on for only about 12 seconds
January 10, 2006 12:05:34 AM

Virtually ALL cases use brass standoffs now. In the days of 286, 386 and 486 computers stadoffs were plastic.

Standoffs are now brass so that the brass standoffs provide grounding to the motherboard.

If you look at the holes closely you will see special "grounding" pads around the holes on both the top and bottom of the board. Those grounding pads are there to help better ground the motherboard through the brass standoffs.
January 10, 2006 12:09:21 AM

Have you tried resetting the BIOS / CMOS?

There is a BIOS / CMOS reset jumper on the board usually near the 3.3V Lithium battery.

Is your heatsink seated / mounted correctly?

If your CPU is overheating the motherboard will normally shut itself down to prevent the CPU from exploding.
January 10, 2006 12:10:06 AM

the same thing is happening even with the plastic standoffs installed. im pretty mad about now. i cant believe this isnt working!. ill take the plastic ones out and try the brass again but i doubt itll help :( 
January 10, 2006 12:16:17 AM

Have you tried removing all but one memory stick?

Tried all the different memory slots?

Reset the CMOS?

Try plugging JUST the PC speaker in and listen closely for any beep codes.

If the motherboard is detecting a problem during boot it should normally give you some beep codes to indicate the error.
January 10, 2006 12:21:09 AM

What kind of power supply do you have?
January 10, 2006 12:45:40 AM

600 watt psu 24 pin+4 pin connection.
im calling it a night.till tomorrow!
January 10, 2006 1:26:32 AM

Quote:
i took the mobo out of the case and psu and it started up perfectly. i put it back in the case screwed in some screws and tried starting it and nothing!!!!!

You definitaly have a shorting problem which is 100% end user specific, and mobo installation 101 needs to be completed.

I have same board and graphic card btw.

Take your time and read manuals on motherboard and case installation. Then check and double check each and every part of hardware installation before powering up.
After hardware installed, use at least twice as much care during OS and software installation... Good luck. :wink:
January 10, 2006 6:57:54 PM

what im confused with is why use the brass standoffs? they are conductrs of electricity and cant they short out the mobo?
January 10, 2006 7:13:40 PM

ok ive made some progress. i stuck the paper washers between the screws and the mobo and now i got 7 beeps form the speakers. 2 fast continous ones then 5 cotinuous ones. PROGRESS YAY :) 
January 10, 2006 7:59:47 PM

i have donez it!!!!!! finally! the only prob now is that the coolermaster cooldrive 4 will not stop f********* beeping. but thatll be easy to fix. yay thank you so much!
January 10, 2006 8:12:13 PM

are you useing a 24 pin power connector or twenty pin
January 10, 2006 8:55:29 PM

24+4 pin connector. its working now but the cm cooldrive 4 is acting up. thats the only prob.it says the cpu is off, but the heat sensor is connected to it.
!