Canon ink cartridge cross contamination

Hi,

Can the group suggest why my Canon i850 has a problem
with the colour cartridges becoming contaminated with
another cartridges' ink ?

This seems to happen gradually when the printer is off,
most noticeable on the yellow where the other ink ( looks black )
can be seen creeping up the sponge from the print head.

Thanks,

Chris
21 answers Last reply
More about canon cartridge cross contamination

    Kris wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can the group suggest why my Canon i850 has a problem
    > with the colour cartridges becoming contaminated with
    > another cartridges' ink ?
    >
    > This seems to happen gradually when the printer is off,
    > most noticeable on the yellow where the other ink ( looks black )
    > can be seen creeping up the sponge from the print head.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris

    Opsss...

    Exactly same happened to my in my i550. Result was new printer...

    But, to explain...here started with magenta. But if i ran nozzle clean or
    two, or printer 3-5 pages, further printing was quite OK - until next day...
    Then i carry it to service, where they cleaned pump, head etc... but they
    said head is gone...
    Did you by any chance refill? And how old is your printer? Serviceman told
    me it happens because of using refill inks and in this case head barriers
    slooooowly corrode and damage is here...

    SleeperMan wrote:

    >But, to explain...here started with magenta. But if i ran nozzle clean or
    >two, or printer 3-5 pages, further printing was quite OK - until next day...
    >Then i carry it to service, where they cleaned pump, head etc... but they
    >said head is gone...
    >Did you by any chance refill? And how old is your printer? Serviceman told
    >me it happens because of using refill inks and in this case head barriers
    >slooooowly corrode and damage is here...

    I have my doubts about the corrosion factor. The inks are water soluble
    and I find it hard to believe that they could corrode the printheads.

    And what if you didn't use refill inks, just genuine Canon ink tanks?

    "Kris" <chris.howland@ukgateway.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can the group suggest why my Canon i850 has a problem
    > with the colour cartridges becoming contaminated with
    > another cartridges' ink ?
    >
    > This seems to happen gradually when the printer is off,
    > most noticeable on the yellow where the other ink ( looks black )
    > can be seen creeping up the sponge from the print head.

    There are a few possible causes...

    Something prevented the head from completing the park cycle (obstruction or
    power loss during this operation). This would leave the head parked slightly
    out of position over the purge area where there is a small filter/pad that
    is contaminated with waste ink. This can allow the head to 'wick' a
    different color and contaminate the tank. This is often a one time thing and
    replacing the tank is all that is needed.

    If you replace the tank and within a few jobs see the same contamination,
    then problems with the printer or printhead requiring service may be
    indicated.

    If in warranty I would recommend contacting Canon for your nearest service
    center. They can quickly determine the exact cause and correct it. You also
    do not risk wasting a new tank to verify if it was one time head park issue.

    "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:ecOdnWwlRrnyxxTcRVn-iQ@golden.net...
    > SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    >>But, to explain...here started with magenta. But if i ran nozzle clean or
    >>two, or printer 3-5 pages, further printing was quite OK - until next
    >>day...
    >>Then i carry it to service, where they cleaned pump, head etc... but they
    >>said head is gone...
    >>Did you by any chance refill? And how old is your printer? Serviceman told
    >>me it happens because of using refill inks and in this case head barriers
    >>slooooowly corrode and damage is here...
    >
    > I have my doubts about the corrosion factor. The inks are water soluble
    > and I find it hard to believe that they could corrode the printheads.

    First All inks are not made alike (especially when it comes to third party).
    Just like other products there are high and low quality manufacture. Also,
    if you check your facts first you will see that while they may be water
    soluble (to some extent) they also contain diethylene glycol and isopropyl
    alchohol (both solvents) and can certainly be corrosive! Especially if the
    ink formula is using too high a concentrate and when you are talking the
    material and complexity of a printhead mask area.

    Check the following

    http://www1.dupont.com/NASApp/dupontglobal/corp/products/prodDetail.jsp?nodeID=2528

    Notice the frequent use of the word 'solvent'!

    In article Kris says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can the group suggest why my Canon i850 has a problem
    > with the colour cartridges becoming contaminated with
    > another cartridges' ink ?
    >
    > This seems to happen gradually when the printer is off,
    > most noticeable on the yellow where the other ink ( looks black )
    > can be seen creeping up the sponge from the print head.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris

    Is the pad where the printhead parks saturated?

    "colinco" <colincomma@yawhoo.com> wrote in message
    > In article Kris says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can the group suggest why my Canon i850 has a problem
    >> with the colour cartridges becoming contaminated with
    >> another cartridges' ink ?
    >>
    >> This seems to happen gradually when the printer is off,
    >> most noticeable on the yellow where the other ink ( looks black )
    >> can be seen creeping up the sponge from the print head.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>

    > Is the pad where the printhead parks saturated?

    As it should be.

    Bill wrote:
    > SleeperMan wrote:
    >
    >> But, to explain...here started with magenta. But if i ran nozzle
    >> clean or two, or printer 3-5 pages, further printing was quite OK -
    >> until next day... Then i carry it to service, where they cleaned
    >> pump, head etc... but they said head is gone...
    >> Did you by any chance refill? And how old is your printer?
    >> Serviceman told me it happens because of using refill inks and in
    >> this case head barriers slooooowly corrode and damage is here...
    >
    > I have my doubts about the corrosion factor. The inks are water
    > soluble and I find it hard to believe that they could corrode the
    > printheads.
    >
    > And what if you didn't use refill inks, just genuine Canon ink tanks?

    I'll see this time! Now i decided to use only original carts on my ip4000
    and i'll see after a year or two.

    PC Medic wrote:
    > "Kris" <chris.howland@ukgateway.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can the group suggest why my Canon i850 has a problem
    >> with the colour cartridges becoming contaminated with
    >> another cartridges' ink ?
    >>
    >> This seems to happen gradually when the printer is off,
    >> most noticeable on the yellow where the other ink ( looks black )
    >> can be seen creeping up the sponge from the print head.
    >>

    > There are a few possible causes...
    >
    > Something prevented the head from completing the park cycle
    > (obstruction or power loss during this operation). This would leave
    > the head parked slightly out of position over the purge area where
    > there is a small filter/pad that is contaminated with waste ink. This
    > can allow the head to 'wick' a different color and contaminate the
    > tank. This is often a one time thing and replacing the tank is all
    > that is needed.
    > If you replace the tank and within a few jobs see the same
    > contamination, then problems with the printer or printhead requiring
    > service may be indicated.
    >
    > If in warranty I would recommend contacting Canon for your nearest
    > service center. They can quickly determine the exact cause and
    > correct it. You also do not risk wasting a new tank to verify if it
    > was one time head park issue.

    Yeap, like me...i bought COMPLETE set of new carts to have the same
    situation...luckily, i can use black one in ip4000, but, i guess i'll use
    bci3e ones, too after originals will be out. Too much money wasted if i
    don't. And by taking it to service---i just wasted money by doing this...

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

    <snipped>

    > I'll see this time! Now i decided to use only original carts on my ip4000
    > and i'll see after a year or two.

    Using only genuine Canon ink tanks is certainly one way to go, but I have a
    different opinion on the matter. A new set of five Canon tanks for the
    iP4000 will be $50 to $60 plus s&h and/or sales tax. If you do four
    complete replacements in a year that will be a cost of between $200 and
    $240. If you do much photo printing, this amount of ink usage would probably
    be on the low side. However if you refill with quality ink how much will
    that same amount of printing cost? My most recent purchase of ink was for
    8oz bottles of each of the five colors for less than $50 which included s&h.
    The total cost was less than the cost of a single set of cartridges. That
    much ink will translate into about 40 refills per color at a net cost of
    about 25¢ per tank or $1.25 for all five tanks. The first refill recoups the
    purchase cost of the entire amount of refill ink. Subsequent refills have a
    net savings of at least $50. Two or three refills and you've just saved
    enough to buy another printer (which will also come with a new set of OEM
    tanks). Considering I've refilled about once a week over the past couple of
    years I've saved the purchase price of a bunch of new printers. I'd never
    have been able to print that much if using OEM cartridges. I don't doubt
    that inferior inks can damage a print head. However, there are a number of
    quality third party inks and using their inks shouldn't damage the print
    head any more than using OEM.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    ---
    AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

    Ron Cohen wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >
    > <snipped>
    >
    >> I'll see this time! Now i decided to use only original carts on my
    >> ip4000 and i'll see after a year or two.
    >
    > Using only genuine Canon ink tanks is certainly one way to go, but I
    > have a different opinion on the matter. A new set of five Canon tanks
    > for the iP4000 will be $50 to $60 plus s&h and/or sales tax. If you
    > do four complete replacements in a year that will be a cost of
    > between $200 and $240. If you do much photo printing, this amount of
    > ink usage would probably be on the low side. However if you refill
    > with quality ink how much will that same amount of printing cost? My
    > most recent purchase of ink was for 8oz bottles of each of the five
    > colors for less than $50 which included s&h. The total cost was less
    > than the cost of a single set of cartridges. That much ink will
    > translate into about 40 refills per color at a net cost of about 25¢
    > per tank or $1.25 for all five tanks. The first refill recoups the
    > purchase cost of the entire amount of refill ink. Subsequent refills
    > have a net savings of at least $50. Two or three refills and you've
    > just saved enough to buy another printer (which will also come with a
    > new set of OEM tanks). Considering I've refilled about once a week
    > over the past couple of years I've saved the purchase price of a
    > bunch of new printers. I'd never have been able to print that much if
    > using OEM cartridges. I don't doubt that inferior inks can damage a
    > print head. However, there are a number of quality third party inks
    > and using their inks shouldn't damage the print head any more than
    > using OEM.

    You're right about that. I guess i'll have to think a bit...
    But, at least, i must find a new supplier for ink. (Europe)

    Wish I could help you on that one. If you were in the US I'd strongly
    recommend Sensient-Formulabs ink from www.alotofthings.com, but being in
    Europe that poses a problem. I believe that ink is available over there, but
    I'm not familiar with any suppliers.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    Ron Cohen wrote:
    > Wish I could help you on that one. If you were in the US I'd strongly
    > recommend Sensient-Formulabs ink from www.alotofthings.com, but being
    > in Europe that poses a problem. I believe that ink is available over
    > there, but I'm not familiar with any suppliers.

    Thanks anyway. I'll try to dig up with something.

    > Ron Cohen wrote:
    >> Wish I could help you on that one. If you were in the US I'd strongly
    >> recommend Sensient-Formulabs ink from www.alotofthings.com, but being
    >> in Europe that poses a problem. I believe that ink is available over
    >> there, but I'm not familiar with any suppliers.
    >

    > Thanks anyway. I'll try to dig up with something.

    Jet tec are the leading independants here. They make specific cartridges or
    re fill kits. I buy my ink from www.choicestationery.com
    it is something like £2.75 for a brand new 3rd party cartridge. NO clogs so
    far. Colour profile is same but not as heavily saturated colour. Which is
    a good thing as my 300d on standard settings is just a little too saturated
    and contrasty.

    Mr Jessop wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> Ron Cohen wrote:
    >>> Wish I could help you on that one. If you were in the US I'd
    >>> strongly recommend Sensient-Formulabs ink from
    >>> www.alotofthings.com, but being in Europe that poses a problem. I
    >>> believe that ink is available over there, but I'm not familiar with
    >>> any suppliers.
    >>

    >> Thanks anyway. I'll try to dig up with something.
    >
    > Jet tec are the leading independants here. They make specific
    > cartridges or re fill kits. I buy my ink from
    > www.choicestationery.com it is something like £2.75 for a brand new 3rd
    > party cartridge. NO
    > clogs so far. Colour profile is same but not as heavily saturated
    > colour. Which is a good thing as my 300d on standard settings is
    > just a little too saturated and contrasty.

    I'll take a look. Thanks!

    The most obvious reason for this in the older Canon printers is that the
    suction hoses connecting the pumps to the nozzle docking area has
    degraded over time (made of rubber) and has cracked/split and has now
    lost suction.

    As a result, the pads under the nozzles can't suction the ink properly
    away from the heads, and cross contamination of ink colors can occur,
    even to the point where one ink cartridge starts to become discolored
    due to the cross-mixing of inks.

    This has been seen and documented in the Canon S450 printers, and can
    occur in any Canon printer which has hoses connecting the pumps to the
    nozzle pads.

    ---

    The fix, which works in almost all cases, is to replace these tubes (if
    cracked -- if NOT, then it's another problem) with new ones. You can
    either ask Canon for them, or find any hobby store and replace them with
    any flexible, liquid tubing (eg. from a lab, there's lots of clear,
    flexible tubes that one can cut to length and use). DO make sure that
    they're just a touch smaller than the ends you'll fit them over to
    ensure a very tight fit that is vaccum tight - here, you may need to use
    fine needle nose pliers to push the new tubing over both connecting ends
    on the printer. take you're time and patience and you'll be fine.

    Here, we've simply replaced the tubing with standard, clear, lab-grade
    flexible tubing found in most labs, and the printers work perfectly fine
    after that.

    Do note that you will have to replace all contaminated cartridges, and
    that some cross contamination may still exist until you've run a few
    hundred pages through to clear everything out.

    ---

    A very, very bad design flaw in these Canons -- can't believe they'd use
    such cheap, rubber tubing that would naturally degrade in a few
    months/years rather than higher quality tubing.

    I had made a request to Canon as to the cause of the problem. Their
    first reply telling me to inspect the tank seating, printhead seating,
    and a do a few deep cleaning cycles - all of which I have done numerous
    times. If my problem still continued it likely was the printhead and I
    was given a number to the parts department.

    Below is my reply to Canon on what I found when I took the printer
    apart:

    ---------------------------------

    What I'd really like to know is how does the cross
    contamination occur? I've had the yellow tank contaminated three times
    now. In all cases I thoroughly rinsed all ink from the print head (I
    even removed the two screws holding the print head to the plastic
    carrier and rinsed the rubber washer between the printhead and the
    carrier). After doing this the printhead printed fine with fresh ink
    tanks. I don't see how any cross contamination can occur in the
    printhead - each color ink has a separate path to the print head.

    I've now disassembled the printer - with particular attention to the ink
    waste area. Printers are second to VCRs in the wonder of their
    mechanical design! I read one post on a newsgroup saying the hoses on
    the ink pump get brittle - mine were just fine - soft and supple. The
    pump appeared to work when I manually turned it - ink came out the tubes
    on the bottom side. Possibly the small rubber trays that raise up and
    sealed against the bottom of the printhead are not making their seal - I
    would have expected to find a pool of ink in the trays if that was the
    case - there was none. I re-assembled the printer with new tanks and
    its currently printing correctly.

    But... as before, if I let it set for a few hours, the yellow will print
    green. I'm sure if I let it set for days, the cyan would be leeched up
    into the yellow tank as it has done three times already. I did run the
    printer with the cover off and watched the printhead park. It appears
    the rubber trays are raised to seal the printhead when not in use. This
    is the only time there is an direct path between the cyan and yellow
    tanks. When the printer sits for a long period, can the inks possibly
    slowly drain from the tanks into the rubber trays sealing the bottom of
    the print head - filling the tray - and seeping back up into the other
    color tanks?

    Obviously with the thousands of the i850s/i860s Canon has sold, I know
    I'm not the only one to experience this.

    Can Canon offer an explanation? What specifically can cause this? I
    don't see how a new printhead can correct this - if so, what failed in
    the printhead? There just isn't much there to fail. I'd hate to spend
    $52 on a new printhead when I can buy an ip3000 for $80.

    ------------------------

    Of couse I haven't told them I have been using generic ink tanks - that
    too easy of an out for them. (I've gone through one set of generics
    before my problems started) If my theory on ink pooling in the trays
    when the printhead is parked is correct, a thinner ink might be to
    blame.

    Interestingly enough - I contacted the generic ink manufacturer
    (abcink.com) and explained the problem - they apologized for my having
    problems with their product and offered me a credit on my order...

    "Michael Brown" <mtb@sgi.com> wrote in message
    >I had made a request to Canon as to the cause of the problem. Their
    > first reply telling me to inspect the tank seating, printhead seating,
    > and a do a few deep cleaning cycles - all of which I have done numerous
    > times. If my problem still continued it likely was the printhead and I
    > was given a number to the parts department.
    >
    > Below is my reply to Canon on what I found when I took the printer
    > apart:
    >
    > ---------------------------------
    >
    > What I'd really like to know is how does the cross
    > contamination occur? I've had the yellow tank contaminated three times
    > now. In all cases I thoroughly rinsed all ink from the print head (I
    > even removed the two screws holding the print head to the plastic
    > carrier and rinsed the rubber washer between the printhead and the
    > carrier). After doing this the printhead printed fine with fresh ink
    > tanks. I don't see how any cross contamination can occur in the
    > printhead - each color ink has a separate path to the print head.
    >
    > I've now disassembled the printer - with particular attention to the ink
    > waste area. Printers are second to VCRs in the wonder of their
    > mechanical design! I read one post on a newsgroup saying the hoses on
    > the ink pump get brittle - mine were just fine - soft and supple. The
    > pump appeared to work when I manually turned it - ink came out the tubes
    > on the bottom side. Possibly the small rubber trays that raise up and
    > sealed against the bottom of the printhead are not making their seal - I
    > would have expected to find a pool of ink in the trays if that was the
    > case - there was none. I re-assembled the printer with new tanks and
    > its currently printing correctly.
    >
    > But... as before, if I let it set for a few hours, the yellow will print
    > green. I'm sure if I let it set for days, the cyan would be leeched up
    > into the yellow tank as it has done three times already. I did run the
    > printer with the cover off and watched the printhead park. It appears
    > the rubber trays are raised to seal the printhead when not in use. This
    > is the only time there is an direct path between the cyan and yellow
    > tanks. When the printer sits for a long period, can the inks possibly
    > slowly drain from the tanks into the rubber trays sealing the bottom of
    > the print head - filling the tray - and seeping back up into the other
    > color tanks?
    >
    > Obviously with the thousands of the i850s/i860s Canon has sold, I know
    > I'm not the only one to experience this.
    >
    > Can Canon offer an explanation? What specifically can cause this? I
    > don't see how a new printhead can correct this - if so, what failed in
    > the printhead? There just isn't much there to fail. I'd hate to spend
    > $52 on a new printhead when I can buy an ip3000 for $80.
    >
    > ------------------------

    While it would be great if they could, they can not possible answer such a
    question accurately via phone or email.
    having worked on more of these and other printers of similar design more
    times than I can count, the most that can be offered without a visit to a
    service center is 'possible' causes, which I and others have already
    mentioned here in the newsgroup.

    There are actually fine adjustments (and tools for doing so) in the areas
    you disassambled. Could be that one of these is out of spec, could be a bad
    printhead, could be bad ink or tanks. Often third party inks will refill
    salvaged tanks and in doing so disturb the precision purge/weep hole at the
    top of the tank. This can in fact cause the ink to excessively build up in
    the waste/purge vavle area near the home position. So yes you therory there
    is also possible.

    At this point you have 3 options I can see.
    1) Replace the printhead and hope that is the cause (most likely by the
    way).
    2) take it to an authorized service facility where they have the specs and
    tools to properly diagnose and fix.
    3) take advantage of the Canon loyalty program where you get a discount and
    free next day shipping on a replacement printer (I have used this myself).

    > Of couse I haven't told them I have been using generic ink tanks - that
    > too easy of an out for them. (I've gone through one set of generics
    > before my problems started) If my theory on ink pooling in the trays
    > when the printhead is parked is correct, a thinner ink might be to
    > blame.

    Possible, or an ink with to rich an ethanol or glycol content may have
    caused premature drying/shrinking of the 'O'-Rings in the printhead allowing
    the inks to mix.

    > Interestingly enough - I contacted the generic ink manufacturer
    > (abcink.com) and explained the problem - they apologized for my having
    > problems with their product and offered me a credit on my order...

    More than most will do and one reason they can sell so cheap. They have no
    liability should the printer fail as it is usually more costly to prove
    their ink was the cause than to just replace the printer and they know that.

    Hi guys;

    I'm not sure the problem is the printer head but I guess it is. If
    this is the problem would my i850 just go dead on me. No power at
    all. I had just finished refilling my cartridges and when I came back
    it went on and few seconds later just died.

    Anything I can check. The ink cartridges are parked on the right side
    and I have no access to them.

    Help

    Rema

    rena wrote:

    >I'm not sure the problem is the printer head but I guess it is. If
    >this is the problem would my i850 just go dead on me. No power at
    >all. I had just finished refilling my cartridges and when I came back
    >it went on and few seconds later just died.

    I don't think that's normal. When my printhead died, it still tried to
    print but couldn't, and I could turn the printer on/off.

    >Anything I can check. The ink cartridges are parked on the right side
    >and I have no access to them.

    Power supply?

    "rena" <podenco@sympatico-dot-ca.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi guys;
    >
    > I'm not sure the problem is the printer head but I guess it is. If
    > this is the problem would my i850 just go dead on me. No power at
    > all. I had just finished refilling my cartridges and when I came back
    > it went on and few seconds later just died.
    >
    > Anything I can check. The ink cartridges are parked on the right side
    > and I have no access to them.

    Not likely the printhead cause this, but if you have not yet done so,
    disconnect the power cord for 30 minutes and then plug back in to known
    working outlet. If still no power then power supply or NCU has most likely
    failed.

    >Obviously with the thousands of the i850s/i860s Canon has sold, I know
    >I'm not the only one to experience this.

    I also experienced cross-contamination in my i560 however mine was
    magenta into the yellow cartridge. I was using 3rd-party cartridges
    too. A printhead replacement fixed the problem and I've continued to
    use the same replacement inks. We'll just have to wait and see if the
    contamination issue reappears.

Printers Canon Peripherals