IPAQ 2210 and SD cards

September 7, 2004 12:01:10 AM

Hi All,

Fairly new to PPC's but so far all is good except for one fact. A bought a
Sandisk 256MB SD card with the IPAQ but it does not appear to recognise the
SD card. When ever I try to save anything to the card the only option
provided is the main memory.

Any ideas

TIA
Peter

More about : ipaq 2210 cards

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 12:01:11 AM

It is formatted?
Do you have a card reader? If so, can you read/write on the card with
it?

Try a soft reset with the card in your IPQA (Should not be needed, but
who knows ...)

Do you have PocketMechanics? With it you can check more stuff.

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:01:10 +1000, "Peter Gleadall"
<pgleadall@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Fairly new to PPC's but so far all is good except for one fact. A bought a
>Sandisk 256MB SD card with the IPAQ but it does not appear to recognise the
>SD card. When ever I try to save anything to the card the only option
>provided is the main memory.
>
>Any ideas
>
>TIA
>Peter

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 12:01:11 AM

"Peter Gleadall" <pgleadall@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Fairly new to PPC's but so far all is good except for one fact. A bought
> Sandisk 256MB SD card with the IPAQ but it does not appear to recognise
the
> SD card. When ever I try to save anything to the card the only option
> provided is the main memory.
>
> Any ideas
>
> TIA
> Peter

Pete

I have 1/2 dozen 256 Meg Sandisk cards and they all work in 4 different
2215s in my office.
Get a card reader ( there like 10-12 dollars) and test it or borrow a know
good SD card and see if your 2215 SD socket is OK.
There have been occasions where the SD socket was not stable.
September 7, 2004 12:01:12 AM

Check through the newsgroup archives, not all cards are recognised by every
machine. If the card doesn't work in yours get an exchange from your
supplier- preferably to a different make. Don't mess too much with a new
card- it may stop you getting an exchange if they notice.

"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> It is formatted?
> Do you have a card reader? If so, can you read/write on the card with
> it?
>
> Try a soft reset with the card in your IPQA (Should not be needed, but
> who knows ...)
>
> Do you have PocketMechanics? With it you can check more stuff.
>
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:01:10 +1000, "Peter Gleadall"
> <pgleadall@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Fairly new to PPC's but so far all is good except for one fact. A bought
> >Sandisk 256MB SD card with the IPAQ but it does not appear to recognise
the
> >SD card. When ever I try to save anything to the card the only option
> >provided is the main memory.
> >
> >Any ideas
> >
> >TIA
> >Peter

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 12:01:13 AM

SanDisk should not be any problem ...

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:17:47 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>Check through the newsgroup archives, not all cards are recognised by every
>machine. If the card doesn't work in yours get an exchange from your
>supplier- preferably to a different make. Don't mess too much with a new
>card- it may stop you getting an exchange if they notice.
>

>"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
>> It is formatted?
>> Do you have a card reader? If so, can you read/write on the card with
>> it?
>>
>> Try a soft reset with the card in your IPQA (Should not be needed, but
>> who knows ...)
>>
>> Do you have PocketMechanics? With it you can check more stuff.
>>
>> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:01:10 +1000, "Peter Gleadall"
>> <pgleadall@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi All,
>> >
>> >Fairly new to PPC's but so far all is good except for one fact. A bought
>> >Sandisk 256MB SD card with the IPAQ but it does not appear to recognise
>the
>> >SD card. When ever I try to save anything to the card the only option
>> >provided is the main memory.
>> >
>> >Any ideas
>> >
>> >TIA
>> >Peter

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 12:01:13 AM

Normally a Sandisk card should be no problem: I use a sandisk SD card
constantly in my 2210 and it never gave me any problem whatsoever.

You propably had the bad luck of getting a bad card. Such happens, and it
is not nice. But normally you should be able to exchange it for a new card,
since you should have had some warranty....

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 12:01:14 AM

'Should not' be a problem in what sense?

working? - the card isn't working for him.
exchange?- in which case this isn't the first case of 'not working'

> SanDisk should not be any problem ...
>
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:17:47 +0100, "AlanS"
> <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Check through the newsgroup archives, not all cards are recognised by
every
> >machine. If the card doesn't work in yours get an exchange from your
> >supplier- preferably to a different make. Don't mess too much with a new
> >card- it may stop you getting an exchange if they notice.
> >

> >"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> >> It is formatted?
> >> Do you have a card reader? If so, can you read/write on the card with
> >> it?
> >>
> >> Try a soft reset with the card in your IPQA (Should not be needed, but
> >> who knows ...)
> >>
> >> Do you have PocketMechanics? With it you can check more stuff.

> >the

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 12:01:14 AM

The card worked in other devices, including the same model pda. This is not
new, this has been posted in other pda groups over the last 6 or so years
that I am aware of.

"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Normally a Sandisk card should be no problem: I use a sandisk SD card
> constantly in my 2210 and it never gave me any problem whatsoever.
>
> You propably had the bad luck of getting a bad card. Such happens, and it
> is not nice. But normally you should be able to exchange it for a new
card,
> since you should have had some warranty....
>

> --
> SoftSpot
> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> "Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
> (just remove the spamstatement
> and one underscore
> to respond personally,
> but please keep it friendly,
> I'm only human too)

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 12:01:15 AM

'Under normal conditions' the Sandisk card should work. It can be that
the card is broken (I wonder why I asked if he had a card reader ...)

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:30:26 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>'Should not' be a problem in what sense?
>
>working? - the card isn't working for him.
>exchange?- in which case this isn't the first case of 'not working'
>

>"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
>> SanDisk should not be any problem ...
>>
>> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:17:47 +0100, "AlanS"
>> <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >Check through the newsgroup archives, not all cards are recognised by
>every
>> >machine. If the card doesn't work in yours get an exchange from your
>> >supplier- preferably to a different make. Don't mess too much with a new
>> >card- it may stop you getting an exchange if they notice.
>> >

>> >"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message

>bought
>recognise
>> >the

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 12:01:16 AM

There are occasional cards that don't work with some individual devices. Not
only has this been posted in newsgroups I have experienced it with one
memory card. It wouldn't work in my pda, but did in my digital camera, mp3
player and card reader. The same card also worked in a backup pda I had-
same type too.

> 'Under normal conditions' the Sandisk card should work. It can be that
> the card is broken (I wonder why I asked if he had a card reader ...)
>
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:30:26 +0100, "AlanS"
> <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >'Should not' be a problem in what sense?
> >
> >working? - the card isn't working for him.
> >exchange?- in which case this isn't the first case of 'not working'
> >

> >"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> >> SanDisk should not be any problem ...

> >every

> >bought
> >recognise

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 1:54:05 AM

I tested a theory. I copied all the data from my "SanDisk Extreme 512 Mb"
card (107 Mb of data) to my hard drive using a card reader. Then I
formatted my card to FAT32 (it was originally formatted to FAT16) and copied
all the data back. Not only could my IPAQ 2215 still read the card, but the
107 Mb of data now only took up 95Mb.

I was thinking that the 2215 couldn't read FAT32, but it does. Still, you
might try the same thing, but format your card to FAT16 instead of FAT32
(the default in Window XP's file explorer).

"FRG" <xxxx@usb.net> wrote in message

| "Peter Gleadall" <pgleadall@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
| > Hi All,
| >
| > Fairly new to PPC's but so far all is good except for one fact. A
bought
| > Sandisk 256MB SD card with the IPAQ but it does not appear to recognise
| the
| > SD card. When ever I try to save anything to the card the only option
| > provided is the main memory.
| >
| > Any ideas
| >
| > TIA
| > Peter
| >

| Pete
|
| I have 1/2 dozen 256 Meg Sandisk cards and they all work in 4 different
| 2215s in my office.
| Get a card reader ( there like 10-12 dollars) and test it or borrow a know
| good SD card and see if your 2215 SD socket is OK.
| There have been occasions where the SD socket was not stable.

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:38:24 AM

I have a similar problem. I bought my IPAQ a year ago with the Sandisk
256MB SD card and it worked fine. Just a few months ago, the card crashed
and I lost all my data. I formatted the card and put some files on it
through a card reader, but my IPAQ does not seem to recognize it. I did a
soft reset and it still doesn't work. I inserted a friend's card that was
recognized by his IPAQ, but mine would not read it.

"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> 'Under normal conditions' the Sandisk card should work. It can be that
> the card is broken (I wonder why I asked if he had a card reader ...)
>
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:30:26 +0100, "AlanS"
> <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>'Should not' be a problem in what sense?
>>
>>working? - the card isn't working for him.
>>exchange?- in which case this isn't the first case of 'not working'
>>

>>"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
>>> SanDisk should not be any problem ...

>>every

>>bought
>>recognise

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:38:25 AM

Hmm ... I have a problem with my SD which cannot write on the card
reader, while it works perfectly in my IPAQ ... I don't even know the
brand of my SD :p

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:38:24 +0900, "Tom Molina"
<molina@m06.itscom.net> wrote:

>I have a similar problem. I bought my IPAQ a year ago with the Sandisk
>256MB SD card and it worked fine. Just a few months ago, the card crashed
>and I lost all my data. I formatted the card and put some files on it
>through a card reader, but my IPAQ does not seem to recognize it. I did a
>soft reset and it still doesn't work. I inserted a friend's card that was
>recognized by his IPAQ, but mine would not read it.
>

>"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
>> 'Under normal conditions' the Sandisk card should work. It can be that
>> the card is broken (I wonder why I asked if he had a card reader ...)
>>
>> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:30:26 +0100, "AlanS"
>> <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>'Should not' be a problem in what sense?
>>>
>>>working? - the card isn't working for him.
>>>exchange?- in which case this isn't the first case of 'not working'
>>>

>>>"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message

>>>every

>>>bought
>>>recognise

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:38:25 AM

Try the sellotape trick.

Putting a layer of it *carefully* on the back of the card increases contact
pressure and usually sorts this.

"Tom Molina" <molina@m06.itscom.net> wrote in message
> I have a similar problem. I bought my IPAQ a year ago with the Sandisk
> 256MB SD card and it worked fine. Just a few months ago, the card
crashed
> and I lost all my data. I formatted the card and put some files on it
> through a card reader, but my IPAQ does not seem to recognize it. I did a
> soft reset and it still doesn't work. I inserted a friend's card that was
> recognized by his IPAQ, but mine would not read it.
>

> "Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> > 'Under normal conditions' the Sandisk card should work. It can be that
> > the card is broken (I wonder why I asked if he had a card reader ...)
> >
> > On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:30:26 +0100, "AlanS"
> > <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>'Should not' be a problem in what sense?
> >>
> >>working? - the card isn't working for him.
> >>exchange?- in which case this isn't the first case of 'not working'
> >>

> >>"Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message

> >>every

> >>bought
> >>recognise

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:38:26 AM

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:59:36 +0200, Bright Light
<Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote:

>Hmm ... I have a problem with my SD which cannot write on the card
>reader, while it works perfectly in my IPAQ ... I don't even know the
>brand of my SD :p

I have exactly the same problem with my FujiFilm (Toshiba) 512Mb card.

Works perfectly within my h4150 and can read from it fine on my reader
but get various errors when trying to save anything to it using the
reader.

Dale Walker: dale@sorted.org
London Techno Events: london@sorted.org, london.sorted.org
Saiko: saiko@sorted.org, saiko.sorted.org
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 5:42:48 PM

Tried that and no luck

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> Try the sellotape trick.
>
> Putting a layer of it *carefully* on the back of the card increases
contact
> pressure and usually sorts this.
>

> "Tom Molina" <molina@m06.itscom.net> wrote in message
> > I have a similar problem. I bought my IPAQ a year ago with the Sandisk
> > 256MB SD card and it worked fine. Just a few months ago, the card
> crashed
> > and I lost all my data. I formatted the card and put some files on it
> > through a card reader, but my IPAQ does not seem to recognize it. I did
> > soft reset and it still doesn't work. I inserted a friend's card that
was
> > recognized by his IPAQ, but mine would not read it.
> >

> > "Bright Light" <Bright.NOSPAM.light@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> > > 'Under normal conditions' the Sandisk card should work. It can be that
> > > the card is broken (I wonder why I asked if he had a card reader ...)

> with

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 5:45:50 PM

I think this might be the problem. I will head in to see the company I
purchased it from today and get a replacement card and see how we go.

Thanks all for your assistance

Peter

"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Normally a Sandisk card should be no problem: I use a sandisk SD card
> constantly in my 2210 and it never gave me any problem whatsoever.
>
> You propably had the bad luck of getting a bad card. Such happens, and it
> is not nice. But normally you should be able to exchange it for a new
card,
> since you should have had some warranty....
>

> --
> SoftSpot
> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> "Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
> (just remove the spamstatement
> and one underscore
> to respond personally,
> but please keep it friendly,
> I'm only human too)

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 4:52:38 AM

Hi All,

Got this checked out today. Tried 2 other SD cards (one Sandisk and
another) and neither worked in my IPAQ. Tried all 3 SD cards in another
IPAQ and all worked so it appears to be my SD card reader which is at fault.

Rgds

Peter
"Peter Gleadall" <pgleadall@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Fairly new to PPC's but so far all is good except for one fact. A bought
> Sandisk 256MB SD card with the IPAQ but it does not appear to recognise
the
> SD card. When ever I try to save anything to the card the only option
> provided is the main memory.
>
> Any ideas
>
> TIA
> Peter

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 4:52:39 AM

I haven't seen any previous posts so I could be going over old ground, but I
believe that there is an SD i/o update available on the HP site. I haven't
d/l'd it as my 2210 came with the latest version.

Might be worth a look?

Glenn

"Peter Gleadall" <pgleadall@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:o 5S6mynlEHA.2020@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
>
> Got this checked out today. Tried 2 other SD cards (one Sandisk and
> another) and neither worked in my IPAQ. Tried all 3 SD cards in another
> IPAQ and all worked so it appears to be my SD card reader which is at
> fault.
>
> Rgds
>
> Peter
> "Peter Gleadall" <pgleadall@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Fairly new to PPC's but so far all is good except for one fact. A bought
>> Sandisk 256MB SD card with the IPAQ but it does not appear to recognise
> the
>> SD card. When ever I try to save anything to the card the only option
>> provided is the main memory.
>>
>> Any ideas
>>
>> TIA
>> Peter

---
September 10, 2004 3:56:43 PM

Thanks Glenn,

Will have a look tomorrow as I'm about to rush out to work but it might be
the answer