raging_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
I used to stay up to date with computer hardware, and I was also very good at fixing computers, but over the past year I just have not stayed up to date with anything computer related.

Well anyways I have had the same computer for over 3years and I am interested in building a new gaming computer. I want a couple of 10,000 rpm western digital harddrives, aswell as 2 300or400gb harddrives.

I have a budget of $3000 i can spend on the new computer.

I have had nothing but problems with ASUS motherboards, I even had one smoke on me.

I would appreciate it if you guys can list some computer parts for me.

thanks

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Oh my, the Asus fanboys will not like you. For a motherboard, I'd look at Gigabyte, MSI, Epox, and perhaps Abit, altho I've had my share of difficulty with them. If you want perhaps the most rock solid and stable board, get a Fujitsu-Siemens, altho they are a bit hard to find. For memory, any of the popular name brands will do fine. For premium memory, I'm partial to PNY Verto Gamer Memory, Wintec AMPX, and OCZ Performance or Platinum. I've noticed that Tom's Forumz are heavily inhabited with Corsair fanboys; not there is anything wrong with that as their memory is really good stuff, it's just not the only memory out there that performs.

Quiksilver-1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
What is the main use you want to use it for? Gaming? Animation? Movie Etc.

Does the 3 Grand inslude speakers, mouse, keyboard, monitor, or are you going to salvage those things?

superduperdude

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I've used a variety of mainboards in the past. So far, Asus and Abit are my favorites. Never had problems with them, not to say there aren't problems with every manufacturer. DFI is a great board for the hardcore gamer, something to consider.

Patriot RAM has treated me really well considering their cost. I think Corsair is great, but overpriced. Geil, OCZ and Kingston have performed well in the past for me too. Right now I'm using 2GB of Patriot on my Asus board, and it's rock solid.

For gaming, you'll obviously need a good video card. Since you have so much money to spend, go for a 7800GT or GTX. SLI to me is a waste of money, but that's just my opinion. Others will praise it and flame me on it. But I'd stick to a single card solution.

Good luck with the build.