Sign in with
Your question

Opty 170 OC 3.2!!

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2006 6:39:40 AM

Hey if I didn't see it with my own eyes then I wouldn't have beleaved it.
A friend of mine OC an opty 170 to 3.25 using a vapochill vapor cooling solution @ idle it was 0c load was 10c for 2hours stright... 8O

his setup

DFI nf4 SLI-DR mobo
2gig G-skill ddr 550 @ 2.9v 2.5-4-4-8 think the bus was @ 9x290mhz..( I'll verify )
opty 170
2x evga 7800gtx
pc power and cooling 850w psu ( yea the first monster )

man these proc's are awsome!!!

so yes they can reach the 3.0 and better if you know what your doing!!! :twisted:

More about : opty 170

January 8, 2006 8:14:30 AM

Quote:
Hey if I didn't see it with my own eyes then I wouldn't have beleaved it.
A friend of mine OC an opty 170 to 3.25 using a vapochill vapor cooling solution @ idle it was 0c load was 10c for 2hours stright... 8O

his setup

DFI nf4 SLI-DR mobo
2gig G-skill ddr 550 @ 2.9v 2.5-4-4-8 think the bus was @ 9x290mhz..( I'll verify )
opty 170
2x evga 7800gtx
pc power and cooling 850w psu ( yea the first monster )

man these proc's are awsome!!!

so yes they can reach the 3.0 and better if you know what your doing!!! :twisted:

WOW. Are you serious. You should put a little streaming video of it on here. That would be nice. So what is vapor chilling? I'm nub so dont know too much. Does it cost a lot of money to use vapor chill? I plan on getting a Opty 170 but OC is later down the line. I hear good things about them, but I just read that OPty's have more problems with compatiblity with MOBO's. I just started a thread regarding that. So hopefully it's not true or I might have to go with x2 4400. :twisted:
January 8, 2006 2:09:45 PM

I've read 3.0 gigs with a Venice 3000+ with stock cooling running stable. But the guy was too chicken to let it run a 60 degrees.. See here. The motherboard was an Asrock 939dual sata2.

So there is nothing there especially coming from an Opteron. Tell him to go over 3.5 with his opteron and that would be something to to talk about ..
Related resources
January 8, 2006 5:14:59 PM

I just put it out there, I thought it was impossible to even reach that myself. I'm fairly a numb when it comes to Oc'ing. My bro is and expert, is an IT or something for the federal Gov, a GS 16 i think, man makes mad cash but has next to no life, though rarely does he come to the LAN parties, but he gets here about once a month and loves to show off :twisted:

Now has far has that Vapochill thing...ouch $$$.$$ to rich for my blood 8O

http://www.frozencpu.com/cas-193.html
but it do the job nicely probably the best cooling solution out there to do that 8)
January 8, 2006 9:33:44 PM

Ok, first answer to your question, VapoChill is a brand/product from, as joker said. There are many products provided by frozencpu, but vapochill in particular costs around $1000.

To give you an example of how powerfull these systems are, I know someone who has a P4 EE 3.42 GHz Overclocked to around 5.9 GHz. The only reason he hasnt gone higher, is he has been unable to figure out how to break the 6 GHz barrier. On a full load, his CPU maintains a temp of -5 degrees celsius (between -5 and -25 degrees celsius idle).
January 9, 2006 1:25:55 AM

If the vapochill system my bro has does cooling that good then maybe his temp senors are off??? But in any sort that being true he could OC it way beyond then!!
I'll give him call to see whats up!

Dam% 5.9 8O 8O 8O
January 9, 2006 3:46:33 AM

Quote:
Ok, first answer to your question, VapoChill is a brand/product from, as joker said. There are many products provided by frozencpu, but vapochill in particular costs around $1000.

To give you an example of how powerfull these systems are, I know someone who has a P4 EE 3.42 GHz Overclocked to around 5.9 GHz. The only reason he hasnt gone higher, is he has been unable to figure out how to break the 6 GHz barrier. On a full load, his CPU maintains a temp of -5 degrees celsius (between -5 and -25 degrees celsius idle).

Are you F'en serious? 5.9? I would have to see it to beleive it. I didn't think it was possible right now. So, probably a stupid question, but here goes anyways, is there a big difference in performance? Oh dam that rich fool lol. :twisted:
January 9, 2006 5:13:43 PM

Quote:
Are you F'en serious? 5.9?

yes, I am dead serious!

Quote:
If the vapochill system my bro has does cooling that good then maybe his temp senors are off??? But in any sort that being true he could OC it way beyond then!! I'll give him call to see whats up!

He could probably push it to 3.5 maybe even 4 GHz. That is, assuming he wants to take the risk (note: I am not responsible for any damages resulting in ANYONE trying this! Unless you know what you are doing to the MAX, this may well be suzyside :twisted: !)

Yes, there is a large performance difference tvfreak, especially in multitasking!

Also, little tidbit of info for everyone out there:
The Intel P4 series has potential to achieve much higher clock speeds than stock speeds are set at. The only reason(s) that they are not clocked higher (at stock speeds) is because of A.) corporate market mumbo-jumbo, and the main/#1 reason is [ :lol:  drumroll please :lol:  ]: because when set to higher speeds, you can FRY AN EGG ON THEM (again, not responsible for anything you may attempt or succeed at, including food poisoning :wink: , loss of life, limb, hardware, software, or anything else!)
January 9, 2006 7:57:11 PM

Quote:
Are you F'en serious? 5.9?

yes, I am dead serious!

Quote:
If the vapochill system my bro has does cooling that good then maybe his temp senors are off??? But in any sort that being true he could OC it way beyond then!! I'll give him call to see whats up!

He could probably push it to 3.5 maybe even 4 GHz. That is, assuming he wants to take the risk (note: I am not responsible for any damages resulting in ANYONE trying this! Unless you know what you are doing to the MAX, this may well be suzyside :twisted: !)

Yes, there is a large performance difference tvfreak, especially in multitasking!

Also, little tidbit of info for everyone out there:
The Intel P4 series has potential to achieve much higher clock speeds than stock speeds are set at. The only reason(s) that they are not clocked higher (at stock speeds) is because of A.) corporate market mumbo-jumbo, and the main/#1 reason is [ :lol:  drumroll please :lol:  ]: because when set to higher speeds, you can FRY AN EGG ON THEM (again, not responsible for anything you may attempt or succeed at, including food poisoning :wink: , loss of life, limb, hardware, software, or anything else!)
How about trying to OC a amd chip as high as you can take it. That would be pretty tight to do. :twisted:
January 10, 2006 5:41:31 PM

5.9 8O

How much did this system cost him total?
January 10, 2006 10:09:54 PM

I'm not sure how much it cost him (a little scared to ask) but I do know that he spends outrageous amounts of money on his 'rig. I guess when you've been working for 10+ years with the job he has (make $200,000+ per year), and you live off about $50,000 per year and save the rest, ya... (btw, he's an engineer; not sure what his wife does, just know she makes big bucks too). I think it would be a safe to say he spent at LEAST 7 or 8 G's ($7000-$8000) on this one system.

As for pushing an amd to the max, i dont have the $cash$ to blow on finding out their breaking poing. All I know is that he blew (chip literally shattered [busted his VapoChill system, shrapnel in the ram, f***ed motherboard, vid card, etc...; he was NOT happy]) an AMD Athlon FX-57 OC'd to a little over 4GHz. Maybe he just set voltage or vcore too high, or maybe it was a bad chip, but I'm not about to find out :p  .

:twisted: (Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything anyone does to their poor CPU's or any other part of their system!) :twisted:

(oh, forgot to mention that he gave his system that the chip shattered in an "apropriate funeral" by encasing it in two rolls of duct tape to secure it and using the suspension magnet at a local junk yard to hoist it up to 150 feet and drop it into the CAR CRUSHER! Needless to say, it survived the fall with dents and dings [dont know about the machine's guts/insides], but after it went through the crusher, there wasn't much left of it. :twisted: :roll: :twisted: )
January 10, 2006 11:29:09 PM

if you go to the logs of CPU-Z you'll see some P4 based rigs over 7GHZ

AMDs in the 5+ range

Hide
January 11, 2006 12:08:13 AM

Quote:
if you go to the logs of CPU-Z you'll see some P4 based rigs over 7GHZ

AMDs in the 5+ range

Hide

I was at this site I beleive it was vaporchill website. And they had some kind of advertising about a p4 chip oc to 6.12GHz. I wonder why AMD can't match that? Weak if you ask me lol. :twisted:
January 11, 2006 2:06:43 AM

amd cant reach the cock speeds of seriou ly overclocked p4's due to a diffrent arcitecture. however it dosent need to reach such high clock speeds to perform as well/better :p 
January 11, 2006 6:47:33 PM

Quote:
amd cant reach the **** speeds of seriou ly overclocked p4's due to a diffrent arcitecture. however it dosent need to reach such high clock speeds to perform as well/better :p 

I was always wondering about that. I noticed Intels speeds were always faster and AMD slower. But I hear that it doesn't matter because there still about the same. How can this bee? I know there made differently but in what way? Can you break it down for a nub? :twisted:
January 11, 2006 8:04:09 PM

UPDATE:

He did it! Through a voltage mod he got his cpu up to a stable 6.6GHz! With a little tweaking he hopes to reach to 6.7 or 6.8 soon, if not higher.
January 11, 2006 8:39:10 PM

What about a link?
January 12, 2006 12:21:22 AM

Even if he doesnt want to produce a link.

A screenie of Prime95 stable and CPUz would be nice to see.

Another note: Getting a 3000+ to 3.0ghz stable on the stock cooler?
Sorry, something I have to see to believe. My 3200+ did 267x9 on the stock cooler and was idle around 38C load 52. So I'm just a little skeptical.
I'm not saying it isnt possible, but very very very rare.
!