Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

paper feed damage to Canon i865

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 3:10:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I seem to have read nothing but glowing reports of the Canon i865 on
the internet and in newsgroups, but I am disappointed with the way my
i865 keeps misfeeding paper. It often happens that the paper is drawn
partway into the printer, then ejected, then drawn back in so
violently that the paper creases and gets caught in the machine. The
machine stops and a message warning of the need to clear a paper jam
comes up, I pull out the offending sheet and the machine goes on its
merry way. Annoying, but liveable with.

However, much worse is that sometimes the machine's innards chew up
the paper and the printer does not stop, nor does any warning message
come up, yet horrendous noises issue forth. Today this type of jam has
led to damage to the printer to the point where a message says it
needs a service call - yet I've only had it a month (bought from
Amazon in uk for the good price of £108 inc p&p). I had managed to
extract the paper from inside the printer, but it was a bit of a
wrench and when I resumed printing there were streaks down one side of
the paper when printing colour. I was trying to finish a job of
printing multiple sets of illustrated poems for someone. Now the
printer has packed in completely, and will only print the text and not
the illustration of pages of poetry with paintings.

I have to confess I haven't been using Canon paper. Because the poems
were for distribution I wanted a decent weight paper and was using
100gsm weight own brand from Rymans. Surely the printer should be able
to cope with this. The specification is that it can paper of up to 105
gsm, my paper was within this limit. The specifications warn; "Do not
use paper heavier than this (except for supported Canon-brand media),
as it could jam in the printer."

Anyone else had problems with paper feed? Does it seem I've damaged
the printhead pulling out the chewed up paper? Could it be the
rollers? How much is it likely to cost to repair, is it even worth it?
I now find that Amazon uk doesn't stock the i865, and prices
elsewhere are substantially higher. Apart from the paper feed problem,
I've been most happy with the i865.

Susie
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 12:26:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"susie faulkner" <calliandra722@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:8b921966.0411031210.2ae36660@posting.google.com...
>I seem to have read nothing but glowing reports of the Canon i865 on
> the internet and in newsgroups, but I am disappointed with the way my
> i865 keeps misfeeding paper. It often happens that the paper is drawn
> partway into the printer, then ejected, then drawn back in so
> violently that the paper creases and gets caught in the machine. The
> machine stops and a message warning of the need to clear a paper jam
> comes up, I pull out the offending sheet and the machine goes on its
> merry way. Annoying, but liveable with.
>
> However, much worse is that sometimes the machine's innards chew up
> the paper and the printer does not stop, nor does any warning message
> come up, yet horrendous noises issue forth. Today this type of jam has
> led to damage to the printer to the point where a message says it
> needs a service call - yet I've only had it a month (bought from
> Amazon in uk for the good price of £108 inc p&p). I had managed to
> extract the paper from inside the printer, but it was a bit of a
> wrench and when I resumed printing there were streaks down one side of
> the paper when printing colour. I was trying to finish a job of
> printing multiple sets of illustrated poems for someone. Now the
> printer has packed in completely, and will only print the text and not
> the illustration of pages of poetry with paintings.
>
> I have to confess I haven't been using Canon paper. Because the poems
> were for distribution I wanted a decent weight paper and was using
> 100gsm weight own brand from Rymans. Surely the printer should be able
> to cope with this. The specification is that it can paper of up to 105
> gsm, my paper was within this limit. The specifications warn; "Do not
> use paper heavier than this (except for supported Canon-brand media),
> as it could jam in the printer."
>
> Anyone else had problems with paper feed? Does it seem I've damaged
> the printhead pulling out the chewed up paper? Could it be the
> rollers? How much is it likely to cost to repair, is it even worth it?
> I now find that Amazon uk doesn't stock the i865, and prices
> elsewhere are substantially higher. Apart from the paper feed problem,
> I've been most happy with the i865.
>

If only a month old why not just call canon tech support and get it taken
care of under warranty.
Obviously no way of know the cause without physically examining, but could
be it was flawed from the factory or damaged being tossed about in shipping
to the retailer or your home.
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 6:27:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

calliandra722@yahoo.co.uk (susie faulkner) wrote in
news:8b921966.0411031210.2ae36660@posting.google.com:

> I seem to have read nothing but glowing reports of the Canon i865 on
> the internet and in newsgroups, but I am disappointed with the way my
> i865 keeps misfeeding paper. It often happens that the paper is drawn
> partway into the printer, then ejected, then drawn back in so
> violently that the paper creases and gets caught in the machine. The
> machine stops and a message warning of the need to clear a paper jam
> comes up, I pull out the offending sheet and the machine goes on its
> merry way. Annoying, but liveable with.
>
> However, much worse is that sometimes the machine's innards chew up
> the paper and the printer does not stop, nor does any warning message
> come up, yet horrendous noises issue forth. Today this type of jam has
> led to damage to the printer to the point where a message says it
> needs a service call - yet I've only had it a month (bought from
> Amazon in uk for the good price of £108 inc p&p). I had managed to
> extract the paper from inside the printer, but it was a bit of a
> wrench and when I resumed printing there were streaks down one side of
> the paper when printing colour. I was trying to finish a job of
> printing multiple sets of illustrated poems for someone. Now the
> printer has packed in completely, and will only print the text and not
> the illustration of pages of poetry with paintings.
>
> I have to confess I haven't been using Canon paper. Because the poems
> were for distribution I wanted a decent weight paper and was using
> 100gsm weight own brand from Rymans. Surely the printer should be able
> to cope with this. The specification is that it can paper of up to 105
> gsm, my paper was within this limit. The specifications warn; "Do not
> use paper heavier than this (except for supported Canon-brand media),
> as it could jam in the printer."
>
> Anyone else had problems with paper feed? Does it seem I've damaged
> the printhead pulling out the chewed up paper? Could it be the
> rollers? How much is it likely to cost to repair, is it even worth it?
> I now find that Amazon uk doesn't stock the i865, and prices
> elsewhere are substantially higher. Apart from the paper feed problem,
> I've been most happy with the i865.
>
> Susie
>

Yes, I developed much the same problem with my Canadian version of the
i865, the i860. These models should be about the same, the only difference
is that mine can't print CDs. Mine too misfeeds every so
often, pulling the paper in crooked, then feeding it back and forth
until it finds the correct print position. Sometimes it even fully jams
needing my assistance to pull out the paper, some times tearing it. Once in
a while while starting the feed it clicks very loudly, something most
abnormal, and by the sound of it, not particularly good for the printer's
health. I just printed 120 sheets and it jammed 4 times and hiccupped -
sent the paper back and forth maybe 30 times. Something is obviously wrong
with the design of these feed system (it does this with any kind of paper -
cheap, good, excellent, matte, and glossy, so it's not the paper, nor the
thickness. I only bought it in July of this year and haven't used it all
that much. If it gets any worse I will call Canon Canada. But for the
moment I will live with it, unless they promise to send me the newer design
ip4000 in exchange. Hmmm... maybe I should just wait a few months until
they run out of my current, the model i860 and be forced to give me an
ip4000. ;-)

-John Hanson
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 5:26:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <8b921966.0411031210.2ae36660@posting.google.com>,
calliandra722@yahoo.co.uk says...
> I seem to have read nothing but glowing reports of the Canon i865 on
> the internet and in newsgroups, but I am disappointed with the way my
> i865 keeps misfeeding paper. It often happens that the paper is drawn
> partway into the printer, then ejected, then drawn back in so
> violently that the paper creases and gets caught in the machine. The
> machine stops and a message warning of the need to clear a paper jam
> comes up, I pull out the offending sheet and the machine goes on its
> merry way. Annoying, but liveable with.
>
> Anyone else had problems with paper feed? Does it seem I've damaged
> the printhead pulling out the chewed up paper? Could it be the
> rollers? How much is it likely to cost to repair, is it even worth it?
> I now find that Amazon uk doesn't stock the i865, and prices
> elsewhere are substantially higher. Apart from the paper feed problem,
> I've been most happy with the i865.
>
> Susie
>

I've had a Canon i860 (the USA and Canadian equivalent) for around 4
months. So far, I have not had any misfeeds. Canon's feed system
intentionally draws the paper in, and then back and forth, to ensure the
paper is aligned properly.

This was my first Canon purchase after having had HP LaserJet's and
inkjet DeskJet's for years, and a few Epsons for my kids. I recently
purchased a Canon MP730 AIO which (I believe) uses the same print engine
as the i860 (or i850). I've not had any paper feeding problems with the
MP730 as yet.

I would certainly contact Canon UK and ask for a possible replacement.

Don
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 11:29:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Don Allen wrote:
> In article <8b921966.0411031210.2ae36660@posting.google.com>,
> calliandra722@yahoo.co.uk says...
>
>>I seem to have read nothing but glowing reports of the Canon i865 on
>>the internet and in newsgroups, but I am disappointed with the way my
>>i865 keeps misfeeding paper. It often happens that the paper is drawn
>>partway into the printer, then ejected, then drawn back in so
>>violently that the paper creases and gets caught in the machine. The
>>machine stops and a message warning of the need to clear a paper jam
>>comes up, I pull out the offending sheet and the machine goes on its
>>merry way. Annoying, but liveable with.
>>
>>Anyone else had problems with paper feed? Does it seem I've damaged
>>the printhead pulling out the chewed up paper? Could it be the
>>rollers? How much is it likely to cost to repair, is it even worth it?
>> I now find that Amazon uk doesn't stock the i865, and prices
>>elsewhere are substantially higher. Apart from the paper feed problem,
>>I've been most happy with the i865.
>>
>>Susie
>>
>
>
> I've had a Canon i860 (the USA and Canadian equivalent) for around 4
> months. So far, I have not had any misfeeds. Canon's feed system
> intentionally draws the paper in, and then back and forth, to ensure the
> paper is aligned properly.
>

"Back and forth" ONLY if it occasionally makes a rare feed error. I
stress, back and forth feeds are NOT a normal part of the regular
operation as it can take 20 seconds (time consuming), slowing down the
printing process. It's supposed to pull the paper in and print in one
continuous operation. Any more than 2 misfeeds per 20 feeds should be
construed as a feed problem. Jams and strange feed noises are a sure bet
you have one. And if you can't leave the printer's side while it's
printing... well, do I really need to say any more?

-Taliesyn
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 6:10:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Don Allen <w9cw@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bf3f7f9639b854c9896a5@netnews.insightbb.com>...
>
> I've had a Canon i860 (the USA and Canadian equivalent) for around 4
> months. So far, I have not had any misfeeds. Canon's feed system
> intentionally draws the paper in, and then back and forth, to ensure the
> paper is aligned properly.
>
> This was my first Canon purchase after having had HP LaserJet's and
> inkjet DeskJet's for years, and a few Epsons for my kids. I recently
> purchased a Canon MP730 AIO which (I believe) uses the same print engine
> as the i860 (or i850). I've not had any paper feeding problems with the
> MP730 as yet.
>
> I would certainly contact Canon UK and ask for a possible replacement.
>
> Don


Thanks for this and for the other feedback to my question. After I'd
assumed the printer was irreversibly messed up and would need a repair
or even replacing, I put it away. Then I decided to give it just one
more go, and found it seemed to have completely recovered. No more
messages about needing a service, no more lines down the side of
colour printing. So I managed to finish the poetry & pics printing job
I was in the middle of. I think from now on I'm gonna play safe and
stick to Canon printing media - even though I see Canon hi-res paper
(I suppose the nearest Canon equiv of the Ryman 100gsm I had been
using for this particular job) sells for £15.70 per 200 sheets via my
usual internet supplier. Ouch.

Susie
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 6:19:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <2v03cfF2fhk6dU1@uni-berlin.de>, taliesyn4@netscape.net
says...
> Don Allen wrote:
> > In article <8b921966.0411031210.2ae36660@posting.google.com>,
> > calliandra722@yahoo.co.uk says...
> >
> >>I seem to have read nothing but glowing reports of the Canon i865 on
> >>the internet and in newsgroups, but I am disappointed with the way my
> >>i865 keeps misfeeding paper. It often happens that the paper is drawn
> >>partway into the printer, then ejected, then drawn back in so
> >>violently that the paper creases and gets caught in the machine. The
> >>machine stops and a message warning of the need to clear a paper jam
> >>comes up, I pull out the offending sheet and the machine goes on its
> >>merry way. Annoying, but liveable with.
> >>
> >>Anyone else had problems with paper feed? Does it seem I've damaged
> >>the printhead pulling out the chewed up paper? Could it be the
> >>rollers? How much is it likely to cost to repair, is it even worth it?
> >> I now find that Amazon uk doesn't stock the i865, and prices
> >>elsewhere are substantially higher. Apart from the paper feed problem,
> >>I've been most happy with the i865.
> >>
> >>Susie
> >>
> >
> >
> > I've had a Canon i860 (the USA and Canadian equivalent) for around 4
> > months. So far, I have not had any misfeeds. Canon's feed system
> > intentionally draws the paper in, and then back and forth, to ensure the
> > paper is aligned properly.
> >
>
> "Back and forth" ONLY if it occasionally makes a rare feed error. I
> stress, back and forth feeds are NOT a normal part of the regular
> operation as it can take 20 seconds (time consuming), slowing down the
> printing process. It's supposed to pull the paper in and print in one
> continuous operation. Any more than 2 misfeeds per 20 feeds should be
> construed as a feed problem. Jams and strange feed noises are a sure bet
> you have one. And if you can't leave the printer's side while it's
> printing... well, do I really need to say any more?
>
> -Taliesyn
>

It only does this once prior to printing, and typically within 2
seconds. Printing is complete for a text page within a few seconds
later. I have never had a paper jam, and generally am not even in the
same room where the printer is located. So, yes, I am not at the
printer's side, so to speak.

I've had good luck with the HP's I've owned, such as the 930-series
DeskJets. As I stated, the i860 is the first Canon I've ever purchased,
and so far, so good. Check back with me in a year! Everyone has their
own opinions on what inkjet is best. Personally, I prefer lasers to any
inkjet, as I'm not into photo printing on a regular basis.

Don
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 11:39:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Don Allen wrote:
> In article <2v03cfF2fhk6dU1@uni-berlin.de>, taliesyn4@netscape.net
> says...
>
>>Don Allen wrote:
>>
>>>In article <8b921966.0411031210.2ae36660@posting.google.com>,
>>>calliandra722@yahoo.co.uk says...
>>>
>>>
>>>>I seem to have read nothing but glowing reports of the Canon i865 on
>>>>the internet and in newsgroups, but I am disappointed with the way my
>>>>i865 keeps misfeeding paper. It often happens that the paper is drawn
>>>>partway into the printer, then ejected, then drawn back in so
>>>>violently that the paper creases and gets caught in the machine. The
>>>>machine stops and a message warning of the need to clear a paper jam
>>>>comes up, I pull out the offending sheet and the machine goes on its
>>>>merry way. Annoying, but liveable with.
>>>>
>>>>Anyone else had problems with paper feed? Does it seem I've damaged
>>>>the printhead pulling out the chewed up paper? Could it be the
>>>>rollers? How much is it likely to cost to repair, is it even worth it?
>>>>I now find that Amazon uk doesn't stock the i865, and prices
>>>>elsewhere are substantially higher. Apart from the paper feed problem,
>>>>I've been most happy with the i865.
>>>>
>>>>Susie
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>I've had a Canon i860 (the USA and Canadian equivalent) for around 4
>>>months. So far, I have not had any misfeeds. Canon's feed system
>>>intentionally draws the paper in, and then back and forth, to ensure the
>>>paper is aligned properly.
>>>
>>
>>"Back and forth" ONLY if it occasionally makes a rare feed error. I
>>stress, back and forth feeds are NOT a normal part of the regular
>>operation as it can take 20 seconds (time consuming), slowing down the
>>printing process. It's supposed to pull the paper in and print in one
>>continuous operation. Any more than 2 misfeeds per 20 feeds should be
>>construed as a feed problem. Jams and strange feed noises are a sure bet
>>you have one. And if you can't leave the printer's side while it's
>>printing... well, do I really need to say any more?
>>
>>-Taliesyn
>>
>
>
> It only does this once prior to printing, and typically within 2
> seconds. Printing is complete for a text page within a few seconds
> later. I have never had a paper jam, and generally am not even in the
> same room where the printer is located. So, yes, I am not at the
> printer's side, so to speak.
>

2 seconds?... Then we're talking about two different "back and forths".
Mine will misfeed sometimes - it sends the paper almost out of the
printer, in the front, and then back in, right up the feeder, several
times. This takes 20 seconds or so, not 2. I'm not too pleased with
this. ;-)

-Taliesyn
!