Application continually hangs

Blueberry

Distinguished
May 8, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

We have a Windows 2003 Terminal Services application running on a new Dell
server with 4GB of RAM and twin Zeon processors. Users access this over a
WAN, the slowest connection of which is 256K. The application itself is a
Delphi EXE at about 7MB, opening around 120 database files with around 130
indexes. There is a 100 user Advantage database from Extended Systems, NT
service running which appears to operate well. The SQL Native utility in
the database operates at spectacular speed when we
need to access the database for alterations etc.

Unfortunately we have many incidences of clients hanging and having to be
reset. The application never hangs when running on a standalone machine or
a LAN. All clients are using Windows 2000 Professional, and access the
server via a greater hospital network cluster.

Any advice would be most welcome, as we are a loss to understand the nature
of the problem.

Peter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Hiya Blueberry,

Well, I cant say for sure that this will solve you
problem, but I've supported a similiar issue, on a
smaller network (27 computers). -This hang up's were non-
localized, and varied in time frames.. What I discovered
is that about 1/5 of the staff was not logging off of TS
properly.-- Rather then clicking start/shutdown/log off -
they were click X -upper right hand corner. -- One of the
IS guys would always take a look at the server before
calling me in - and he was making a habit of opening the
TS manager, and would sometimes kill off any open
connections that were not active.. -- This hid the
problem from me pretty well.. -- Either way, the symptoms
were the same.. Maybe this will point you in the right
direction.

Get IT Done

Hej Peter

I expirence the same thing on Terminal Server 2003 running a Delphi 7
application. The hanging happens every other time the users print to their
local printers. The application has not been installed in "install mode". Is
this important ? The files has been manually copied to the install
directory. The registry is not used.

Has the problem been solved since you posted the original message?

\Peter N.