Sign in with
Your question

Need help setting up SATA RAID 1 on A8N5X

Last response: in Motherboards
January 8, 2006 1:43:51 PM

I need a bit of help setting up a RAID 1 array on a new A8N5X motherboard. I'm most of the way through the process and think that the problem may be fairly simple. This is the first time that I've set up a RAID array so you can assume I'm making the mistakes of a rank amateur.

Hard drives and configuration

--WD 60 GB PATA (not part of the RAID, used for booting to Windows XP Professional)
--Two WD 320 GB SATA drives for the array. They are OEM and have not yet been formatted.

What I've already done.

--Set up the BIOS for a RAID 1 array using the two 320 GB SATA drives
--Set up the RAID in the NVIDIA RAID utility (accessed by pressing F10 at the appropriate time during boot
--Installed the RAID drivers for XP from a floppy during installation of the OS (Pressed F6 when prompted to by the installation procedure and followed the on screen instructions)
--Successfully installed XP on the 60 GB PATA drive
--During boot to XP the POST shows the RAID is there and indicates that it is "healthy"

The problem is that when I get into XP and look for the RAID it doesn't show up as an available disk. I can only see my C: drive, the 60 GB PATA.

I think the problem may be that during my installation of Windows XP the two 320 GB SATA drives were not formatted. Normally, when I load XP onto a system and I have unformatted drives, I am prompted to format them. During this installation, I was only prompted to format the 60 GB PATA drive.

If the problem is that my SATA drives are not formatted, how can I format them at this point (since I can't even see them when I'm in XP)?

If that is not the problem, what did I do wrong during the installation of the RAID or what do I still need to do?
January 8, 2006 2:18:50 PM

If you right click on "my computer" then manage, then disk management, do you see the array there unpartitionned and unformatted?
January 8, 2006 3:18:17 PM

It indicates that the drive is "Unallocated."
Related resources
January 8, 2006 3:20:15 PM

Then right click on the array,and allocate it
January 8, 2006 3:24:42 PM

I'll give it a try. I didn't realize that I would need to go into "Manage" to complete the set up process. I'll let you know how this goes.

Thanks!
January 8, 2006 5:37:44 PM

It worked. The RAID array is now formatted and visible. Sorry for having such a simple question, but I expected the drive to show up when I opened My Computer and to then be able to format it from there.
!