amd x2 3800+ problem?

me1234

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
my sys is an amd x2 3800+, msi k8n sli platinum, 1gb ddr400 corsair xms c2pt[2x512], leadtek gf7800 gt, enermax power supply with 535w, audigy4 pro, 2 wd harddrives serial ata 200gb and 250gb, one dvd writer lg and one cd-writer teac, leadtek tv2000expert tv tuner.
i use bitcomet to download from torent sites, and sometimes when im downloading or upl 2mb/s or something the system acts as if i ran a single core none ht processor [i mean the mouse sticks, the music has interruptions] just as if i was running a i dont know an athlon xp for eg.
if i pause the download the computer acts normal, if i resume it does this again, if i restart sys an resume download it works fine. what's the problem bitcomet uses about 10-20% of one core and about 100mb memory. can u guys help me with this. and also the same problem with dc++ [odc] sometimes i download with 1mb and i cant do anything else, if i restart i can download with 7-8mb and no problem, i can even play games, could it be the harddrive, would it be better if i made a raid config[they are the same only difference is the size] and the partinions are 20gb c: and 180 d: and the 250gb is the last partition e:

me1234

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
no, i use mcaffe internet security, personal firewall 6.1 and viruscan 9, but anyway i get this problem with or without the firewall activated so that's not it

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
when using bittorent press crtl alt delete go to the process tab and then right click on the bittorent process and go to set affinity. with this you can choose which core you want bittorent to run on.

me1234

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
i did this [affinity] it doesn't change anything it acts the same, it think its the hdds is this possible

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Its certainly possible that it could be a hd or hd's, but if you're using a raid setup, then it probably came with software that is good for noticing when there's an error with one of the hd's and it will report that error to you. If you don't have any problems loading other programs up, if it boots up in to Win XP normally, if it plays most non-online games normally...i'd say it's not the hd. If all it ever does is lag a bit, i'd say it's not the hd (but that isn't always the case).

First...
I'd check to see if there are any odd programs running in the background...spyware, viruses etc...and dbl check them against an online resource guide and get rid of the bad stuff through msconfig and/or a spyware remover and virus remover;

Then
Chk to see if you have the latest driver from AMD for the X2. Many issues are fixed by using the latest driver from AMD with some of the X2's.

Then
I'd check in to the Microsoft patch for the X2. You have to call Microsoft and explain your case to them to get it.
Alternately you could just disable the power saving feature of the cpu in the bios. (which is something i would probably do regardless...at least for testing purposes)

Else
If possible try swapping out different parts of your equipment...leaving the hd's and mobo for last since those are really the two most difficult things to test. (or try taking out equipment...take away CD-ROM/DVD-rom, sound card if you have one [yes i realize it has onboard sb], and disable your onboard stuff in the bios, or as much as you can).

All of the above after the first line assumes you know for sure it's a hardware issue and not a problem with software or xp. I can't remember if you said you OC or not...if you're oc'ing you should have put it back to stock settings before begining this...Also, rather then using stock memory settings you could lower (which would be increasing the timings (2->3 or 2.5->3 ... and changing your 1T to 2T just to be sure it isn't the memory or the memory controller), or lowering the fsb speed by changing the dividers to make the ram more compliant with the memory controller. Also, if you loaded nf4 firewall initially, that has caused all sorts of people problems including myself...some people had to completely uninstall/reinstall windows aftewards. There is also a nf4 driver that sometimes causes issues...i can't remember which one it was though. Might have been the ide nf4 driver, but don't quote me on that.