The Idaho Triangle!

crash

Take off Spokane, WA, head east for Mullen Pass VOR 117.8 on radial 090. I
have locked up totally three times in a row at 42 nm out! First two times I
had ActiveSky going, so thought maybe a quirky update was zapping me, so
third time just had default user weather, sameo sameo.. Always in windowed
mode, NOT switching between full screen, or really doing anything but
enjoying the knock out scenery. Sound keeps going, but video is full TILT!
Can bring up task manager to kill it, but thats it.... Once even powered
down, back up, tried the other way, and took off Billings, MT {my original
itinerary in reverse), Missoula, MT touch and go, passed Mullen Pass, doing
nothing to offend anybody, and locked up at 15 nm going west on the 270
radial.... *&^%$#@ weird, or what?? Anyone else want to try this???
Cheers'n Beerz.. ([__])
Don

GREGORY

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:36:48 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Take off Spokane, WA, head east for Mullen Pass VOR 117.8 on radial 090. I
>have locked up totally three times in a row at 42 nm out! First two times I
>had ActiveSky going, so thought maybe a quirky update was zapping me, so
>third time just had default user weather, sameo sameo.. Always in windowed
>mode, NOT switching between full screen, or really doing anything but
>enjoying the knock out scenery. Sound keeps going, but video is full TILT!
>Can bring up task manager to kill it, but thats it.... Once even powered
>down, back up, tried the other way, and took off Billings, MT {my original
>itinerary in reverse), Missoula, MT touch and go, passed Mullen Pass, doing
>nothing to offend anybody, and locked up at 15 nm going west on the 270
>radial.... *&^%$#@ weird, or what?? Anyone else want to try this???
>Cheers'n Beerz.. ([__])
> Don

Don.. I can take a stab at it. First off.. can you pinpoint Mullen
Pass a bit closer 'cause I'd like to check it out. Then see if it
locks on the boundary of one of your mesh files.. and also see if
multiple mesh are defined for the same area. Twice before the Sim
was crashing directly on a mesh edge Longitude.

Another possibility is.. if you have Meyer terrain textures.. they
could be crashing the Sim. Several places around the world with the
Meyer bitmaps.. the Sim crashed. Textures that are un-mipped or
possibly have incorrect coding may cause this to happen. Not sure
why.. just reporting the symptoms. Restoring default bmps fixed it.

crash

Gregory wrote:
> Don.. I can take a stab at it. First off.. can you pinpoint Mullen
> Pass a bit closer 'cause I'd like to check it out. Then see if it
> locks on the boundary of one of your mesh files.. and also see if
> multiple mesh are defined for the same area. Twice before the Sim
> was crashing directly on a mesh edge Longitude.

I misspelled Mullan, it's in Idaho almost to the MT border east and little
south of Spokane, about half way to Missoula, MT. Mullan Pass is the VOR
117.8. The "Idaho Triangle" is west of Mullan.

> Another possibility is.. if you have Meyer terrain textures.. they
> could be crashing the Sim. Several places around the world with the
> Meyer bitmaps.. the Sim crashed. Textures that are un-mipped or
> possibly have incorrect coding may cause this to happen. Not sure
> why.. just reporting the symptoms. Restoring default bmps fixed it.

No Meyer terrain. I have MegaScenery Pacific Northwest, but that's west of
Spokane, so shouldn't be a factor.. I know I've flown a lot up north around
Sandpoint, ID and never had a problem. If you haven't seen the theme park
by the runway in Silverwood (Athol, ID) it's worth the trip!!

GREGORY

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:43:45 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory wrote:
>> Don.. I can take a stab at it. First off.. can you pinpoint Mullen
>> Pass a bit closer 'cause I'd like to check it out. Then see if it
>> locks on the boundary of one of your mesh files.. and also see if
>> multiple mesh are defined for the same area. Twice before the Sim
>> was crashing directly on a mesh edge Longitude.
>
>I misspelled Mullan, it's in Idaho almost to the MT border east and little
>south of Spokane, about half way to Missoula, MT. Mullan Pass is the VOR
>117.8. The "Idaho Triangle" is west of Mullan.

Ok great.. and let's add more to this item real quick. The first crash
incident was heading WEST at London, Kentucky crossing W84 Long
heading for Nashville. The other time was heading EAST at Pittsburgh
PA crossing W80. It was something like having 38m mesh on top of 70m
mesh. There were troubles coming down the western Canadian coast and
also over Portland at FL300+ ALTs. Haven't resolved those yet.

>> Another possibility is.. if you have Meyer terrain textures.. they
>> could be crashing the Sim. Several places around the world with the
>> Meyer bitmaps.. the Sim crashed. Textures that are un-mipped or
>> possibly have incorrect coding may cause this to happen. Not sure
>> why.. just reporting the symptoms. Restoring default bmps fixed it.
>
>No Meyer terrain. I have MegaScenery Pacific Northwest, but that's west of
>Spokane, so shouldn't be a factor.. I know I've flown a lot up north around
>Sandpoint, ID and never had a problem. If you haven't seen the theme park
>by the runway in Silverwood (Athol, ID) it's worth the trip!!

one time a recruiter called with a job opening in Coeur D'Alene.. so
in reply I emailed some screen caps of the lake region. Didn't get
even an interview. :(

-G

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> Gregory wrote:
>> Don.. I can take a stab at it. First off.. can yov pinpoint Mvllen
>> Pass a bit closer 'cavse I'd like to check it ovt. Then see if it
>> locks on the bovndary of one of yovr mesh files.. and also see if
>> mvltiple mesh are defined for the same area. Twice before the Sim
>> was crashing directly on a mesh edge Longitvde.
>
> I misspelled Mvllan, it's in Idaho almost to the MT border east and little
> sovth of Spokane, abovt half way to Missovla, MT. Mvllan Pass is the VOR
> 117.8. The "Idaho Triangle" is west of Mvllan.
>
>> Another possibility is.. if yov have Meyer terrain textvres.. they
>> covld be crashing the Sim. Several places arovnd the world with the
>> Meyer bitmaps.. the Sim crashed. Textvres that are vn-mipped or
>> possibly have incorrect coding may cavse this to happen. Not svre
>> why.. jvst reporting the symptoms. Restoring defavlt bmps fixed it.
>
> No Meyer terrain. I have MegaScenery Pacific Northwest, bvt that's west
> of Spokane, so shovldn't be a factor.. I know I've flown a lot vp north
> arovnd Sandpoint, ID and never had a problem. If yov haven't seen the
> theme park by the rvnway in Silverwood (Athol, ID) it's worth the trip!!

I am from WA state (vntil '99) ... honeymooned in Sandpoint ... been to
Sivlerwood twice ... best of friends live in (near) Newport (he works at the
dam). I look forward to seeing that...is that in the defavlt scenery?

Mr. Steve of Union Hills - KDVT

Propwash

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

It's kind of ironic you guys mentioned Silverwood. Here I am reading
your posts while wearing my 'I survived the Corkscrew" T-Shirt. I made
my first visit to Silverwood last summer. Geez, I think I'm getting
too old to be riding them darn things!! [:0))

Propwash

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:36:48 -0600, CRaSH wrote:

> Take off Spokane, WA, head east for Mullen Pass VOR 117.8 on radial 090. I
> have locked up totally three times in a row at 42 nm out! First two times I
> had ActiveSky going, so thought maybe a quirky update was zapping me, so
> third time just had default user weather, sameo sameo.. Always in windowed
> mode, NOT switching between full screen, or really doing anything but
> enjoying the knock out scenery. Sound keeps going, but video is full TILT!
> Can bring up task manager to kill it, but thats it.... Once even powered
> down, back up, tried the other way, and took off Billings, MT {my original
> itinerary in reverse), Missoula, MT touch and go, passed Mullen Pass, doing
> nothing to offend anybody, and locked up at 15 nm going west on the 270
> radial.... *&^%$#@ weird, or what?? Anyone else want to try this???
> Cheers'n Beerz.. ([__])
> Don

There's a similar situation between Aalborg, Denmark and Landvetter, Sweden
that was discussed a while back.
I hope that makes ya feel better. ;-)

--

Marcel
(When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the

crash

Marcel Kuijper wrote:
> I hope that makes ya feel better. ;-)

Not particularly Studmuffin, but misery does love company! d:->))

GREGORY

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:43:26 -0600, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Marcel Kuijper wrote:
>> I hope that makes ya feel better. ;-)
>
>Not particularly Studmuffin, but misery does love company! d:->))

ok {chuckle} funny reply.. checked out Mullen Pass and it went
`no problem'.. except I-90 was badly placed through Outlook Pass.
Someday all the Interstates and rivers will be fixed and correct?

Let's think logically here. Are your flights all within a `set' of
mesh areas.. or are you transitioning into another author's region?
Maybe it's best to stay within the mesh construct. In other words..
define a mesh-set big enough so that you'd never cross it's boundary
on any given flight. Exception is for instance 38m with 19m canyon/
mountains by the same provider.

Likely there's a few terrain experts reading this.. the statements
above are merely hypothesis. Comments of course are good.

-G

crash

Gregory wrote:
> Let's think logically here. Are your flights all within a `set' of
> mesh areas.. or are you transitioning into another author's region?

No other mesh involved besides the default and FSG for EVERYWHERE. I tried
doing it at treetop altitude - sameo sameo. Then I went from Spokane,
skirted up north of Couer D' Alene, down to Mullan Pass on the 120 radial,
everything fine, made a turn after passing the VOR, came back on west
heading radial 270, got about 20 miles west, and sameo sameo - hit the
feared Idaho Triangle!!! Everything today with all weather cleared. Guess
I'll refuel and try the southern approach...... d:->))

crash

CRaSH wrote:
> all weather cleared. Guess I'll refuel and try the southern
> approach...... d:->))

Southern approach was looking good coming in on the 050 Mullan Pass radial,
so about 25 mi out I headed north, directly into the jaws of death! Sur
nuff, got maybe ten miles south of Kellogg and Shoshone Co airpot on I-90,
and TILT! Tried to start a flight at Shoshone Co. and it won't even load
it - stops about 52% into loading textures, so it looks like I got a nasty
file for that block. Just have to remember to avoid the area......... Oh
well!!
Thanks for trying Gregory.....
At least it kept me out of the bars, alleys, and play grounds for
awhile...... d:->))

Duplicated your flight with the Cessna 182S Skylane this evening. Set time
to Sunday, March 27 at noon. Flew inbound on the 090 radial for Mullen Pass
at 6000 ft in both full screen and windowed modes, and did not encounter any
problems. Using FSGenesis scenery for the whole USA as well as American
Data Roads, Railroads & Streams. I also have some special Spokane scenery
installed, which I downloaded from Sur Claro and/or Avsim. I also have
Pacific Northwest Megascenery installed, but do not think it covers that far
east. Just for info, my FS Navigator indicates scenery NV9NAMVV0.BGL for
the Mullen Pass area, not sure this is relevant.

Jim Kaye

> Take off Spokane, WA, head east for Mullen Pass VOR 117.8 on radial 090.
> I have locked up totally three times in a row at 42 nm out! First two
> times I had ActiveSky going, so thought maybe a quirky update was zapping
> me, so third time just had default user weather, sameo sameo.. Always in
> windowed mode, NOT switching between full screen, or really doing anything
> but enjoying the knock out scenery. Sound keeps going, but video is full
> TILT! Can bring up task manager to kill it, but thats it.... Once even
> powered down, back up, tried the other way, and took off Billings, MT {my
> original itinerary in reverse), Missoula, MT touch and go, passed Mullen
> Pass, doing nothing to offend anybody, and locked up at 15 nm going west
> on the 270 radial.... *&^%$#@ weird, or what?? Anyone else want to try
> this???
> Cheers'n Beerz.. ([__])
> Don

Hi Varmit,

LOL!

Good questions - both of them! :)

Regards,
John Ward

> "CRaSH"
> Anyone else want to try this???
>
> Now why would I want to lock up my computer? :)
>

> Vermin

Hi Crash,

Why not try again in a couple of days - "they" might have used some
sneaky sort of way to block the area off while "they" had a private Easter
ho-down?? :))

Regards,
John Ward
> CRaSH wrote:
> > all weather cleared. Guess I'll refuel and try the southern
> > approach...... d:->))
>
> Southern approach was looking good coming in on the 050 Mullan Pass
radial,
> so about 25 mi out I headed north, directly into the jaws of death! Sur
> nuff, got maybe ten miles south of Kellogg and Shoshone Co airpot on I-90,
> and TILT! Tried to start a flight at Shoshone Co. and it won't even load
> it - stops about 52% into loading textures, so it looks like I got a nasty
> file for that block. Just have to remember to avoid the area......... Oh
> well!!
> Thanks for trying Gregory.....
> At least it kept me out of the bars, alleys, and play grounds for
> awhile...... d:->))

crash

James H. Kaye wrote:
> Just for info, my FS Navigator indicates scenery NV9NAMVV0.BGL for
> the Mullen Pass area, not sure this is relevant.

Thanks Jim, may be just the info I need, since it appears I have a corrupt
file for the area just west of Mullan Pass, around Kellogg. By any chance
could you start a flight at Kellogg, Shoshone Co airport and see if it shows
the same file? I can fly around the VOR from other directions OK, it's just
west that I hit that brick wall in the sky. Now I just have to figure out
how to extract it from the CD - remember reading how many moons ago, but
it's history now... Oh weelll, anymore, yesterday is ancient history...
d:->))

Set up a flight from Kellogg, Shoshone Co airport. The scenery file
indicated by FS Navigator is different - this one is
....\scenery\Namw\Scenery\AP917150.BGL. Looked at it with Windows Explorer,
and this file is 77 KB in size, dated 5/30/2003. The file at Mullen Pass is
NV9AMW0.BGL (not NV9AMVV0.BGL as given earlier), and is 97 KB in size dated
5/21/2003.

Replacing the possibly corrupt file sounds like the next thing to try. If
you have any problem extracting the file, let me know.

Jim Kaye

> [...]

you have any problem extracting the file, let me know.

Jim Kaye

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> James H. Kaye wrote:
>> Just for info, my FS Navigator indicates scenery NV9NAMVV0.BGL for
>> the Mullen Pass area, not sure this is relevant.
>
> Thanks Jim, may be just the info I need, since it appears I have a corrupt
> file for the area just west of Mullan Pass, around Kellogg. By any chance
> could you start a flight at Kellogg, Shoshone Co airport and see if it
> shows the same file? I can fly around the VOR from other directions OK,
> it's just west that I hit that brick wall in the sky. Now I just have to
> figure out how to extract it from the CD - remember reading how many moons
> ago, but it's history now... Oh weelll, anymore, yesterday is ancient

crash

James H. Kaye wrote:
> Set up a flight from Kellogg, Shoshone Co airport. The scenery file
> indicated by FS Navigator is different - this one is
> ...\scenery\Namw\Scenery\AP917150.BGL. Looked at it with Windows
> Explorer, and this file is 77 KB in size, dated 5/30/2003. The file
> at Mullen Pass is NV9AMW0.BGL (not NV9AMVV0.BGL as given earlier),
> and is 97 KB in size dated 5/21/2003.
>
> Replacing the possibly corrupt file sounds like the next thing to
> try. If you have any problem extracting the file, let me know.

Hi Jim,
Well, I tinkered with the idea of using 'expand' to access that file, but
it'd been AGES since I messed around at the DOS level (or what passes for
DOS these days) and while just trying to list some of the files on CD4,
which is where I'm assuming it's located, I couldn't remember how to stop
the list scrolling long enough to read anything. Was about to dig out a
book, then said "Damn, this is a waste of time, just don't fly over
Kellogg!"... So put the CD's back in the tin can, freshened up the
Manhattan (two cheeres, stirred not shaken), and flew
Spokane/Wenatchee/Tacoma to relax...
Curious now though, are there different BGL files for different altitudes to
help compensate for distance/detail, or would everything in the area around
Shoshone airport be included in a single file, and then how about the
airport(s) details? I'm basically ignorant how everything is *really* tied
together, just knowing the funamental structure...

crash

CRaSH wrote:
I'm basically ignorant how
> everything is *really* tied together, just knowing the funamental
> structure...

Saw my "fundamental" typo later, but after reading it a couple of times
decided it's actually quite accurate!! d:->))

Both of these files are on FS2004 CD3. Using WinZip, select MSGAME8.CAB.
Look for Path - Scenery\Namw\Scenery and under that path for the two files
Ap917150.bgl and Nv9namw0.bgl. Extract them to a temporary location, such
as C:\Temp. Then replace the files you currently have (the path is
FS9\Scenery\Namw\Scenery) with these and see if the problem is resolved.

To my knowledge, there are no separate files for a given location but at
different altitudes.

Let me know if this works. I feel very unsatisfied if something in flight
simulator should work, and works for everyone else but me.

Jim Kaye

James H. Kaye wrote:

> Let me know if this works. I feel very unsatisfied if something in
> flight simulator should work, and works for everyone else but me.

No joy - got within 32nm west of Mullans Pass VOR, still west of Shoshone
airport, and hit the same brick wall - froze in space!

Still haven't figured out how to pause the file list when using the /d
switch in Expand. Carl suggested /p, which works fine from dir, but expand
doesn't like it at all. Ctrl + C stops it, but doesn't pause. How does one
find the file to extract in the first place? I got it, but if you hadn't
told me where to look, I'd never have found it without just going to every
directory and giving it a go... Oh well, it was fun playing around with
command line prompts again... Thanks!

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message news:EOT2e.7622$Dz4.6617@okepread01...
> James H. Kaye wrote:
>> Set up a flight from Kellogg, Shoshone Co airport. The scenery file
>> indicated by FS Navigator is different - this one is
>> ...\scenery\Namw\Scenery\AP917150.BGL. Looked at it with Windows
>> Explorer, and this file is 77 KB in size, dated 5/30/2003. The file
>> at Mullen Pass is NV9AMW0.BGL (not NV9AMVV0.BGL as given earlier),
>> and is 97 KB in size dated 5/21/2003.
>>
>> Replacing the possibly corrupt file sounds like the next thing to
>> try. If you have any problem extracting the file, let me know.
>>

> Hi Jim,
> Well, I tinkered with the idea of using 'expand' to access that file, but
> it'd been AGES since I messed around at the DOS level (or what passes for
> DOS these days) and while just trying to list some of the files on CD4,
> which is where I'm assuming it's located, I couldn't remember how to stop
> the list scrolling long enough to read anything. Was about to dig out a
> book, then said "Damn, this is a waste of time, just don't fly over
> Kellogg!"... So put the CD's back in the tin can, freshened up the
> Manhattan (two cheeres, stirred not shaken), and flew
> Spokane/Wenatchee/Tacoma to relax...
> Curious now though, are there different BGL files for different altitudes to
> help compensate for distance/detail, or would everything in the area around
> Shoshone airport be included in a single file, and then how about the
> airport(s) details? I'm basically ignorant how everything is *really* tied
> together, just knowing the funamental structure...

dir /p for pause.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.