What do you guys think of the nvidia egeforce 7800 gt 256mb

TannerBenson

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
hey just seeing what you guys think of the nvidia egeforce 7800gt 256mb video card its a little less expensive then the 7800 gtx is there that big of a deffrence

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
The difference = 4 Pipelines and 1 vertex shader.

I personally own an eVGA 7800GT, I am very impressed with the card.
Overclocked to 488/1.13 (stock solution) from 445/1070.
IMHO, one of the better, if not best price to preformance cards on the market, and the difference between it and the GTX(256mg), although present, is not huge on either benchmarks or real world gaming preformance.

Trust me, you would be very happy purchasing that card.
If not, you could always pick up an X1800XL, they have very serious
overclocking potential. Both in the same general price range.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I dont??
I would link my newegg Invoice...but nah.

Had my benchies on their...I'll post a different link.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/SLI-ftopict170693.html

I posted you a pick of my score, since I couldnt physically do the card at the time. You saw that I outpreformed the man who posted above me.
He had a GTX too...Ya really cant achieve those preformance levels with my GF2 bud.

Dont worry, I'll get you a screenie or two.
BTW: Not only did you have absolutely nothing beneficial to say, but you were proven wrong...here on out, I wont post about you, you dont post about me. Its a very simple solution.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Cant waite
coffee.gif

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Anywho.

Tanner, you can see for yourself the preformance levels of that paticular
card. They can be had on newegg for $299, while the X1800 is roughly $30-60 more. Enjoy...

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
It's sad when people post on forums, that they have a certain piece of hardware....but they actually dont. It kind of says something about them as a person(and a poster)

You really suck, you know that?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Sir, I provided you with vaild information.

Those are pics from FEAR...if you cant tell.
Like I said, I was able to outpreform the man who posted above me in that thread, he had a GTX. So your saying I dont have a 7800GT?
You are really lacking in common sense, then again...look at your posts.

You realize I'm right, so you cant come up with anything else.
Most intelligent people (which your not) would have drawn the conclusion I have that card...but now I'm going to go and run 3dmark 03 for you, and post that pick, just to prove how truely ignorant and clueless you are.

Once again: Sorry about the personal attacks, I realize this is mucking up the thread.

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
First of all Genetic - just shut up. Raven has no reason to lie about having a 7800GT when all he would get for it is bragging rights. Raven even posted F.E.A.R benchmarks for you and you still didn't believe him. What do you want him to do? Physically open his computer up and take a picture of the video card? You probably wouldn't even believe that pic.

But back to this poor guys question. The 7800GTX is obviously the better video card in terms of gaming. But unless your one who is crazy about getting the highest possible frame rates, save yourself the extra $200 and get the GT. Use the extra cash you save to get yourself more RAM or something.

If you don't believe me, look at the THG's own benchmarks for F.E.A.R
here.

The difference between the two cards is 12 frames per second. But when the game is already running at over 80 frames per second, there is no way you will be able to tell the difference.

Sorry if you are getting caught in the middle of a shout match here, but I hope my post will help you.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
@ Pomp
Your opinion is very helpful, and your link is good backup.
I'm more cocerned about this mans purchase.

I must say, if you have the $$$ to spare, yes, get the GTX by all means.

@ GW: no link bud, but to make you feel better, I dont have photoshop, and
I suck at editing images...so you should feel pretty confident this is legit.

BTW...having the picture right above your "no you dont" --totally intentional.

no.jpg

I realize the pic isnt the best...but o well.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The GT is the best card you can buy for the money right now. NewEgg has em for around $300. The eVGA is a good buy right now at 299 with Quake 4 included and no rebate to screw with. NOTE not all 7800 cards are equal. The ASUS is clocked slower, has a crummy warranty and is more expensive. I'd tell you how much I like my XFX 7800 GT but I'd hate for someone to claim I didn't own one.

evga (factory overclocked):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130256

MSI for only 269.99 after rebate (not overclocked):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127190

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
When I bought my 7800 GTX there was no GT... however, if I were buying now I'd definitely go the GT route due to the substantial price difference... yes, I paid $599 for mine (ouch!)

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
NO your over. Dont you see how you jump points?

You lost on the fact that I do have a 7800GT...so your moving onto something else to make you look good (not working) when you know full well I dont feel like wasting the energy to prove you wrong again. So, try to man up (unlikely) and take it as it comes. Just quit bitching.

Side note: Just hit level 50...w00t!!

pauldh

Illustrious
I don't know your past history with GW on this, but why in the world don't you just provide an orb link? Posting pics like that makes no sense to me. It taks a few seconds, it's free, and is the best proof of any 3dmark score (or in this case, your system specs). Honestly, orb links are the only 3dmark scores that are valid; not to mention by far the most beneficial for comparison sake.

It's not that I don't believe you, but that's just the way it is since many before have made false bungilomark claims and even posted photoshopped screen captures. Anyway, even if we all could care less about our benchmark scores, isn't an orb link a simple way of of proving your point?

PS, my gaming rig orb link is in my sig, but it's out of date. Have upgraded the cpu, memory, and sound card since that time. It's just an easy way to show system specs without typing out the entire claimed system components. If anyone doubted I now have an A64 4000+, 2GB RAm, an Audigy 2, or that my 6800U's mem is stable over 1.2GHz, I'd just provide a simple orb link of a complete 3dmark run, proving the point; simple solution IMO.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I bought an evga 7800GT from NewEgg for $310 just before xmas as an upgrade from a 6600GT, my DOOM3 timedemo went from 53 to 83 fps.
If $300 is too much, the 6800GS OC’s to the point where you end up with GT speeds at only $200. Both are good deals.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
i beat GTX`s with my GT.

actually i think i have one of the fastest gt`s here, make sure u go for a already OC 7800gt like the XFX Extreme 7800gt, there better in overall OC but i suppose its luck in what you actually can OC to like i can max out at 530core.