Lotus Notes CLient and Terminal Services ????

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Greetings all,

SCOPE:
Using Win2k3 Server as terminal Server
I want to install lotus notes client 6.5 on it so users can access via
thinclient

Special Procedures or step by steps?? Anyone? I run into notes.ini errors..
Thanks..
Keep in mind I will need multiple users using this as well

thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

It works as I did many times with all Notes from R4 to 6.5. I do not
remember exactly for Notes 6.X but there is a switch like
=p:\windows\notes.ini that tells notes to use the INI on the P drive (that
should be the user home directory and is therefore unique).

--
Cláudio Rodrigues

Microsoft MVP
Windows Technologies - Terminal Services
http://www.terminal-services.net
"P l a n z" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Greetings all,
>
> SCOPE:
> Using Win2k3 Server as terminal Server
> I want to install lotus notes client 6.5 on it so users can access via
> thinclient
>
> Special Procedures or step by steps?? Anyone? I run into notes.ini
errors..
> Thanks..
> Keep in mind I will need multiple users using this as well
>
> thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

After you have installed the lotus notes client on the Terminal
Server (in "install" mode!), you will need to copy the notes.ini file
from C:\Windows to \notes\data in each users home directory. Then you
have to modify the shortcut to start the lotus notes client into
something like this:

"C:\path_to_lotus\notes.exe =H:\notes\data\notes.ini"

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"P l a n z" <none@none.com> wrote in

> Greetings all,
>
> SCOPE:
> Using Win2k3 Server as terminal Server
> I want to install lotus notes client 6.5 on it so users can
> access via thinclient
>
> Special Procedures or step by steps?? Anyone? I run into
> notes.ini errors.. Thanks..
> Keep in mind I will need multiple users using this as well
>
> thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I tried your suggestions and I get the following error when launching notes
on the client

The NOTES.INI file cannot be found on search patch (PATH): D:\program
files\lotus\notes\notes.ini

I installed lotus notes 6.5 clien ton win2k3 term server in install mode.
copied the notes.ini file from C:\windows and put it in the users home dir.

Any other suggestions please?

"P l a n z" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Greetings all,
>
> SCOPE:
> Using Win2k3 Server as terminal Server
> I want to install lotus notes client 6.5 on it so users can access via
> thinclient
>
> Special Procedures or step by steps?? Anyone? I run into notes.ini
errors..
> Thanks..
> Keep in mind I will need multiple users using this as well
>
> thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Try modifying your shortcut like so:

Target: "<exe-path>\notes.exe" =notes.ini
Working Directory: "<ini-path>"

The working directory should point to wherever your notes.ini file is
located. We use "%homedrive%%homepath%\settings\notes\data"--you should use
whatever works best for your environment. If you need to use a different
working directory to accommodate some other functionality, then I would
suggest modifying the App Paths entry for notes.exe like so:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\notes.exe]
@="<exe-path>\notes.exe"
"Path"="<ini-path>"

If you copy the above to a .reg file, don't forget to escape the backslashes
in the values (e.g. "<exe-path>\notes.exe" becomes "<exe-path>\\notes.exe").

Make "Path" a REG_EXPAND_SZ value if you intend to use environment variables
as part of the path; otherwise, a REG_SZ value will suffice. This works just
like the PATH environment variable, so you can include multiple paths
separated by semicolons.

There are many different ways to automate the user-specific
post-installation configuration of the Notes client, but this probably isn't
the best forum for that discussion. . . .

Trev

> I tried your suggestions and I get the following error when launching
notes
> on the client
>
> The NOTES.INI file cannot be found on search patch (PATH): D:\program
> files\lotus\notes\notes.ini
>

> I installed lotus notes 6.5 clien ton win2k3 term server in install mode.
> copied the notes.ini file from C:\windows and put it in the users home
dir.

> Any other suggestions please?
>

> "P l a n z" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > SCOPE:
> > Using Win2k3 Server as terminal Server
> > I want to install lotus notes client 6.5 on it so users can access via
> > thinclient
> >
> > Special Procedures or step by steps?? Anyone? I run into notes.ini
> errors..
> > Thanks..
> > Keep in mind I will need multiple users using this as well
> >
> > thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Also does anything else get copied to the users home dir?
"P l a n z" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Greetings all,
>
> SCOPE:
> Using Win2k3 Server as terminal Server
> I want to install lotus notes client 6.5 on it so users can access via
> thinclient
>
> Special Procedures or step by steps?? Anyone? I run into notes.ini
errors..
> Thanks..
> Keep in mind I will need multiple users using this as well
>
> thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Also my notes.ini looks like this:

[notes]
KitType=
=
InstallType=

"P l a n z" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Greetings all,
>
> SCOPE:
> Using Win2k3 Server as terminal Server
> I want to install lotus notes client 6.5 on it so users can access via
> thinclient
>
> Special Procedures or step by steps?? Anyone? I run into notes.ini
errors..
> Thanks..
> Keep in mind I will need multiple users using this as well
>
> thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

What else needs to be copied to the home users dir?
just the notes.ini ?
this is where I am getting confused some say copy notes/data folder and
notes.ini and some say just the notes.ini.
Also my notes.ini containes nothing in it.. besides this:
[notes]
KitType=
=
InstallType=

"Trevor Scroggins" <trevor.scroggins@homeqGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
> Try modifying your shortcut like so:
>
> Target: "<exe-path>\notes.exe" =notes.ini
> Working Directory: "<ini-path>"
>
> The working directory should point to wherever your notes.ini file is
> located. We use "%homedrive%%homepath%\settings\notes\data"--you should
use
> whatever works best for your environment. If you need to use a different
> working directory to accommodate some other functionality, then I would
> suggest modifying the App Paths entry for notes.exe like so:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
> Paths\notes.exe]
> @="<exe-path>\notes.exe"
> "Path"="<ini-path>"
>
> If you copy the above to a .reg file, don't forget to escape the
backslashes
> in the values (e.g. "<exe-path>\notes.exe" becomes
"<exe-path>\\notes.exe").

> Make "Path" a REG_EXPAND_SZ value if you intend to use environment
variables
> as part of the path; otherwise, a REG_SZ value will suffice. This works
just
> like the PATH environment variable, so you can include multiple paths
> separated by semicolons.
>
> There are many different ways to automate the user-specific
> post-installation configuration of the Notes client, but this probably
isn't
> the best forum for that discussion. . . .
>
> Trev
>
> "P l a n z" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > I tried your suggestions and I get the following error when launching
> notes
> > on the client
> >
> > The NOTES.INI file cannot be found on search patch (PATH): D:\program
> > files\lotus\notes\notes.ini
> >

> > I installed lotus notes 6.5 clien ton win2k3 term server in install
mode.
> > copied the notes.ini file from C:\windows and put it in the users home
> dir.
> >

> > Any other suggestions please?
> >

> > "P l a n z" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > > Greetings all,
> > >
> > > SCOPE:
> > > Using Win2k3 Server as terminal Server
> > > I want to install lotus notes client 6.5 on it so users can access via
> > > thinclient
> > >
> > > Special Procedures or step by steps?? Anyone? I run into notes.ini
> > errors..
> > > Thanks..
> > > Keep in mind I will need multiple users using this as well
> > >
> > > thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

It has to do with which version of the client you are installing. The older
versions of Notes used to provide Server side install, then a client side
install. It is not so easy with Notes 6.0.x. You need to install the base on
the server. and tell it to put the client files in the user's home
directory. By default, notes.ini is in "%PROGRAMFILES%\Lotus\Notes" (or
whereever you put it). When you launch the client, it will look in that
directory for notes.ini, then look in "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32". Niether of
these is a good thing in the TS environment.You need the client to ask you
where the client code is during it's install.

If the user has WINDIR pointing into the home directory, you can place
notes.ini there. Sorry for no exact details....It has been a while and once
I figured it out, I put it in an MSI transform so I wouldn't hit that brick
wall again.....

--

gt
Server Based Computing Evangelist