Best Ipaq for a salesman

September 6, 2004 1:57:11 PM

I'm in the market for an Ipaq. I've been a palm user for about 6 years
but I'm thinking about making the change. Here's what I'm looking for:

Bluetooth for Gps
needs to fit in pocket without being bulky
Wireless internet option
at least 32mb of storage

I'm very concerned about migrating my datebook and addresses from the
Palm Desktop software into Outlook which I understand can be quite a
hassle. I'm trying to keep my purchase under $200 since I have
butterfingers and end up replacing my palms frequently. I'm looking at
the Ipaq 1945 mostly because of it's size. I know it has bluetooth as
well but it doesn't take sleeves. My question is: will the bluetooth
gps work well with my 1945 or will I be better off going with a model
that accepts sleeves?

More about : ipaq salesman

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 10:15:33 PM

I've been using an iPaq 2210 (or 2215 if you like) for a good few months now
and absolutely love it. 64MB mem as standard, Compact Flash and SD card
slots so you can use CF or SD solutions for additional storage / wi-fi and
built in bluetooth. Mine cost me £215 a little while back so you may find it
cheaper now. If I am correct the battery in the 1945 is non-removeable,
whereas the 2210 has a removeable battery and you can even buy a larger
capacity battery for longer use in the field.

Glenn

<josh@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for an Ipaq. I've been a palm user for about 6 years
> but I'm thinking about making the change. Here's what I'm looking for:
>
> Bluetooth for Gps
> needs to fit in pocket without being bulky
> Wireless internet option
> at least 32mb of storage
>
> I'm very concerned about migrating my datebook and addresses from the
> Palm Desktop software into Outlook which I understand can be quite a
> hassle. I'm trying to keep my purchase under $200 since I have
> butterfingers and end up replacing my palms frequently. I'm looking at
> the Ipaq 1945 mostly because of it's size. I know it has bluetooth as
> well but it doesn't take sleeves. My question is: will the bluetooth
> gps work well with my 1945 or will I be better off going with a model
> that accepts sleeves?

---
September 7, 2004 12:49:33 AM

josh@dodgeit.com wrote:
> I'm in the market for an Ipaq. I've been a palm user for about 6 years
> but I'm thinking about making the change. Here's what I'm looking for:
>
> Bluetooth for Gps
> needs to fit in pocket without being bulky
> Wireless internet option
> at least 32mb of storage
>
> I'm very concerned about migrating my datebook and addresses from the
> Palm Desktop software into Outlook which I understand can be quite a
> hassle.

Don't worry - it's a breeze. I went from Palm to Wince earlier this year,
having used a few devices since the original Palm Pilot. I've actually
transferred all my contacts and diary information all the way through.

I'm trying to keep my purchase under $200 since I have
> butterfingers and end up replacing my palms frequently. I'm looking at
> the Ipaq 1945 mostly because of it's size. I know it has bluetooth as
> well but it doesn't take sleeves. My question is: will the bluetooth
> gps work well with my 1945 or will I be better off going with a model
> that accepts sleeves?

Can't really advise you here, as I have had only one Windows OS model - the
iPAQ 2210. You don't need a sleeve with this as you have two slots (one CF
and one SD) which will hold extra memory or devices, or a combination of
both. For example, I have a CF card which is both wi-fi and 128 MB memory,
and a 256 MB SD card. They can both be in use at the same time. Bluetooth is
built in. I use my 2210 for satnav (main reason for the change). You can use
a Bluetooth gps receiver, but I chose a cabled version as it is powered from
the in car cradle, and I just feel that a cable is more "Robust." (Rightly
or wrongly...probably wrongly). At any rate there was a problem with 2210\
Bluetooth and Tomtom3 although I'm sure it's fixed now. The simple
workaround was not to display POIs (I think).

There are newer models out now with even more memory and built in wi-fi, but
they are more expensive and I think the 2210 has a bit of mileage left in
it.

HTH

Martin
!