PROBLEM: Access Denied using WTSOpenServer API call in VB6

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Hi,

I created a VB6 application that is used by our support personnel to monitor
and manage TS sessions on a customer's private network. I use
WTSEnumerateSessions to get the sessions from the local server without
problems. But occasionally we want to be able to run the application from
outside of the terminal server. In that case, I try to open a handle to a
server using WTSOpenServer, but it always fails with an "Access Denied"
error (in Err.LastDLLError). I know it has something to do with TS
permissions but I have no clue how to set those to make the call work. Any
idea?

Thanks.
Alain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

what user account is that vb6 app running under? Does that user account have
any permissions to the remote terminal server?

"Alain Beaulieu" <alain_beaulieu@adp.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I created a VB6 application that is used by our support personnel to
monitor
> and manage TS sessions on a customer's private network. I use
> WTSEnumerateSessions to get the sessions from the local server without
> problems. But occasionally we want to be able to run the application from
> outside of the terminal server. In that case, I try to open a handle to a
> server using WTSOpenServer, but it always fails with an "Access Denied"
> error (in Err.LastDLLError). I know it has something to do with TS
> permissions but I have no clue how to set those to make the call work. Any
> idea?
>
> Thanks.
> Alain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

No. I will do that, but what permissions are you talking about? NTFS rights?