Sign in with
Your question

Ooops!! Always remember to turn on your water pump!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
January 8, 2006 10:14:58 PM

One problem with having an external water pump, if you ever turn it off, remember to turn it back on before you turn your PC on. Or else you get to watch your temps rise until the PC turns off while you scratch your big dumn head (that's me in this example). "OH YEAH!" and I turn the pump on.

Thankfully no damage done.
January 8, 2006 10:17:06 PM

BTW, that above example is what happened with my Zalman water/cooling/pump tower. It runs quiet, but so quiet you don't know if it's on or off.

I'm thinking it should be wired to the PC somehow so when the PC boots up or shuts down so would the pump.

Or maybe never turn it off?
January 9, 2006 8:43:10 PM

hook up a relay to one of your 12v lines or something (or some voltage that works with a relay)

Ara
January 10, 2006 12:31:28 AM

They do have kits to turn on a wall outlet source with your computer, no problem. Just look around for deals.
January 10, 2006 5:59:05 PM

Don't need to tell me about that. looks at this... my ol' A64 3500+ CPU.

a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2006 6:19:04 PM

Yes, someone bumped the button on MY Reserator 1 and I didn't know until the PC shut off. The next time I looked at the CPU the pin grid had blisters, but the think still works!
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2006 11:51:12 PM

This is a Northwood with the heat blisters. And it did shut itself off. I just had no idea it would get hot enough to cause minor burns to the plastic before it shut down.
January 27, 2006 10:20:25 AM

Quote:
One problem with having an external water pump, if you ever turn it off, remember to turn it back on before you turn your PC on. Or else you get to watch your temps rise until the PC turns off while you scratch your big dumn head (that's me in this example). "OH YEAH!" and I turn the pump on.

Thankfully no damage done.

You can use an AC hermaphrodite connector. It sits between the wall plug and the power supply socket. Standard on my waterchill controller. Turns the pump on as soon as the pc power supply starts drawing power.
January 29, 2006 10:35:17 AM

simply avoid the problem by not using a pump that does not power on the PSUs 12v output, otherwise you are bound to have it coming soon! if not from your own mistake....... it will be someone elses.
January 29, 2006 10:34:13 PM

ElMoIsEviL, give us some details bout that.

It seems cpus are great now for picking up the hsf is removed, but not smart enough to detect a slow heat raise, as for the A64 - makes me wonder what a prescott will do.
January 30, 2006 4:04:51 AM

Quote:

It seems cpus are great now for picking up the hsf is removed, but not smart enough to detect a slow heat raise, as for the A64 - makes me wonder what a prescott will do.

use your head sir!!

Thermal throttle and finally shutdown, the newer pentiums not only tolerate higher temps but also have a safety mechanism to shutdon/crash when overexceeded , thereby saving other components.
January 30, 2006 7:12:07 AM

Quote:

use your head sir!!

Thermal throttle and finally shutdown, the newer pentiums not only tolerate higher temps but also have a safety mechanism to shutdon/crash when overexceeded , thereby saving other components.

"This is a Northwood with the heat blisters. And it did shut itself off. I just had no idea it would get hot enough to cause minor burns to the plastic before it shut down." - crashman himself said it
January 31, 2006 4:43:56 PM

i miss the days of the old K6-2s... i hat a 550 OCed to 650 and i remember coming home to find that i didn’t secure the heat sink... it was dangling by the power wires.. and yet the machine was still running.. i of course immediately shut it off.. stupid me i touched the processor only to burn myself pretty badly... but i was surprised that no problems resulted.. i still have the processor and i think it still works... they were built well in those days.. then the athlons came along.. freaking things fried if you farted in their general direction...
February 1, 2006 5:51:19 AM

celeron 550? no such thing, but the celeron 566'ers overclocked nicely, as did any coppermine (aslong as they werent over the 1ghz range).

AMD got there bad name cause there chips were concidered hot (altho now some prescotts are twice the heat of any K7) and had no thermal protection incase bad things happend (dust, hsf falling off, failing fans etc) - they wernt a bad chip if you looked after em tho (checked for dust every once in a while, decent cooler and airflow).
February 8, 2006 12:35:16 AM

i have allways had that fear, so i just run my pump 24/7

i would like a flow rate window thou...
!