Splash screen refresh rate is very slow

Justin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

This question must have been answered several time earlier. I am unable to
find relevant posts here....

My VB.NET application have few images in menu, splash screen (jpg files of
lessthan 30 kb size), which takes enormous time to refresh on the screen
when I access the application from terminal server. What is wrong?
Am I missing anything?

J Justin

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Hi Justin,

The reason it take so long to refresh your splash screen is because the jpg
files aren't rendered as compressed images. if you display a jpg in an
image viewer(or VB application), that viewer paints each pixel to the screen
as part of a bitmap (not compressed), that's where terminal server hooks in.
So, your jpg files are transmitted as bitmaps over the TS connection.

You might consider having your application check if it's running inside a TS
session and disabling intense graphics in that situation.

How to Detect:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termserv/termserv/detecting_the_terminal_services_environment.asp
TS Graphics Guidelines:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termserv/termserv/graphic_effects.asp