Can I run old 16-bit FoxPro programs on TS?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

We have a remote office with 4 or 5 users that need access to an old
Windows-application that is written in 16-bit FoxPro. I'm thinking of
getting ASDL-connection and connecting the remote office via VPN and setting
up a terminal server at the main office for them to run it on.

They need to print to local printers, and they might need to use floppies
for a import/export function in the program (might be workarounds here.)

Will this work? Anything I need to know about?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

It should work, but test it first and be prepared for problems.
We have had various issues with a 16-bit FoxPro application
monopolizing the CPU, loosing printers and so on. Basically all
the problems that you get with this kind of old applications on a
workstation, only they tend to hurt more on a TS :)

Make clear *before implementing this* to the powers-that-be that
this can at best be a temporary solution, and that money should be
invested to upgrade the application ASAP.

You'll need 2003 on the TS for drive redirection (or share the
local floppy drive and connect to it in a logon script).

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Terje Trane" <terje_trane@hotmail.com> wrote in

> We have a remote office with 4 or 5 users that need access to an
> old Windows-application that is written in 16-bit FoxPro. I'm
> thinking of getting ASDL-connection and connecting the remote
> office via VPN and setting up a terminal server at the main
> office for them to run it on.
>
> They need to print to local printers, and they might need to use
> floppies for a import/export function in the program (might be
> workarounds here.)
>
> Will this work? Anything I need to know about?

TRENDING THREADS