Sign in with
Your question

Problems with VA503+

Last response: in Motherboards
January 9, 2006 12:28:08 AM

Hi,
I would appreciate any help with issues and doubts below reported.
I have a K6-2 450 working on a FIC VA503+ (1.2), 160 Mb RAM (128 on DIMM1 and 32 on DIMM2 - both PC100), and Win Pro 2000 SP4. The computer was working perfectly until two weeks ago when I decided to make some changes. The first one was the installation of Norton Internet Security 2006. After that I removed the 32 mb SDRAM stick from DIMM2 and replaced it by a 256 MB double sided PC100 SDRAM stick and lastly I installed a 3Com Etherlink XL TPO NIC on PCI3. On PCI2 I have a Motorola SM56 Fax/Modem. PCI1 is empty. My video adapter is a SIS 6326 8MB AGP and my sound board is a ESS 1869F audiodrive on ISA3. My bios version is 1.15JE37. My problems are: System boots up mainly when I am on line (dial up); Instead of 384 Mb of RAM, memory test just recognizes 256Mb. Regarding the memory, I really do not know what to do, but I have noticed that IRQ11 is sharing the PCI to USB controller, the SM56 and the 3Com. I do not have anything conected full time on the USB or the 3Com. For the boot up, I have checked the system bunch of times for viruses, malware and found nothing.

More about : problems va503

a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2006 4:30:46 AM

What's your last name Marcelo?

Anyway, your memory problem could be due to the use of incompatible RAM. This happens quite frequently. It's cheaper to produce high-density modules, in fact, the higher the density the fewer the chips, the cheaper to produce.

Otherwise it could be a dirty DIMM slot. Try reinserting the module a few times.
January 19, 2006 12:02:20 AM

Thanks Crashman, actually the first 256 mb stick did not work, than I went back to the seller and replaced it by another one, from the same manufacturer - Samsung. I have already changed the slots but I just get 128 mb from it, but I will try again. Any tip about the best sdram for this mobo? Rgds, Marcelo Hipolito.
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2006 6:47:35 AM

If you buy your RAM from Crucial you can use their memory selector to guarantee compatible RAM is selected for your board.
!