Voice recognition

September 6, 2004 11:07:23 PM

I'm considering buying a PDA. Last time I had one I ended up carrying around
a folding keyboard as scribbling was just too slow for writing emails (which
is what I use it for mostly). It got so that carrying a laptop wasn't much
less bulky.

But I'm beginning to think that modern PDAs *might* be powerful enough to
have full voice recognition. I don't just mean voice activated commands but
full recognition in e.g. Pocket Outlook to transcribe emails. Anything
available now that works or should I leave it for another year or two?

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.

More about : voice recognition

September 6, 2004 11:07:24 PM

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:07:23 +0100, "John Blessing"
<newsgroup@LbeHelpdesk.com> wrote:

>But I'm beginning to think that modern PDAs *might* be powerful enough to
>have full voice recognition.

Not yet... Voice recognition for _commands_ is pretty much where
PDA's are at right now. Speech to text is still a ways off. Even on my
2.x GHZ desktop, Naturally Speaking lags sometimes.

A_C
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 4:25:00 PM

Hi,

I'm thinking about creating a PDA based product that uses voice
recognition to recognize a simple dictionary of words and commands.
What I'm wondering is whether there is any development environment
that I can use to create such a product.

I don't want to reinvent voice recognition. Rather, I'd like to have
a product that would allow me to specify a dictionary of words and
translate them into keys or symbols or ascii text or something so that
I can use them on the other end in my application.

The product should produce code that can be uploaded to a PDA of some
sort.

Thanks.

Darrell

!