Application will not run via Terminal Services

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I have third-party application written in Delphi (I don't know which
version) that I need to run on our Windows 2000 Server (standard) box.
The problem is that the app will run normally via the server console
but I cannot start it via Terminal Services. The TS login that I am
using has full admin rights.

I can't help but think that there is some security or policy setting
that is preventing it from running.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John S. Dawson
2 answers Last reply
More about application terminal services
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

    Do you get any error message when you try to run the application?
    Have you checked with the application vendor if it supports
    running on a TS? I know that there have been (still are?) some
    cases where the application actually checks if it is running in a
    Terminal Server session and quits if it does, because the vendor
    *knows* that the application doesn't support more than one user at
    a time.

    If the vendor can't help, I would download FileMon and RegMon from
    http://www.sysinternals.com/. Run them as administrator on the
    console, start a TS session and try to run the application.

    Hopefully, FileMon and RegMon will show you what the application
    does and where it stops.

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    jdawson@dealer-tools.com (John S. Dawson) wrote in

    > I have third-party application written in Delphi (I don't know
    > which version) that I need to run on our Windows 2000 Server
    > (standard) box. The problem is that the app will run normally
    > via the server console but I cannot start it via Terminal
    > Services. The TS login that I am using has full admin rights.
    >
    > I can't help but think that there is some security or policy
    > setting that is preventing it from running.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > John S. Dawson
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

    Vera,

    Thanks for your help. I did as you suggested and FileMon shows a Dr.
    Watson when the Delphi application tries to start.

    892 10:18:04 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 READ
    893 10:18:04 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 READ
    894 10:18:04 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 READ
    895 10:18:04 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 READ
    955 10:18:10 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 CLOSE

    From what I can tell, the error is caused by a missing WINSTA.dll in
    the application path. That is the last error before it accesses
    drwtsn32.exe. I never see a Dr. Watson dialog.

    John

    "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message news:<Xns953FF0312DC41veranoesthemutforsse@207.46.248.16>...
    > Do you get any error message when you try to run the application?
    > Have you checked with the application vendor if it supports
    > running on a TS? I know that there have been (still are?) some
    > cases where the application actually checks if it is running in a
    > Terminal Server session and quits if it does, because the vendor
    > *knows* that the application doesn't support more than one user at
    > a time.
    >
    > If the vendor can't help, I would download FileMon and RegMon from
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/. Run them as administrator on the
    > console, start a TS session and try to run the application.
    >
    > Hopefully, FileMon and RegMon will show you what the application
    > does and where it stops.
    >
    > --
    > Vera Noest
    > http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    > --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
    >
    > jdawson@dealer-tools.com (John S. Dawson) wrote in
    >
    > > I have third-party application written in Delphi (I don't know
    > > which version) that I need to run on our Windows 2000 Server
    > > (standard) box. The problem is that the app will run normally
    > > via the server console but I cannot start it via Terminal
    > > Services. The TS login that I am using has full admin rights.
    > >
    > > I can't help but think that there is some security or policy
    > > setting that is preventing it from running.
    > >
    > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > John S. Dawson

Terminal Windows