Application will not run via Terminal Services

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 7, 2004 5:58:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I have third-party application written in Delphi (I don't know which
version) that I need to run on our Windows 2000 Server (standard) box.
The problem is that the app will run normally via the server console
but I cannot start it via Terminal Services. The TS login that I am
using has full admin rights.

I can't help but think that there is some security or policy setting
that is preventing it from running.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John S. Dawson
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 6:36:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Do you get any error message when you try to run the application?
Have you checked with the application vendor if it supports
running on a TS? I know that there have been (still are?) some
cases where the application actually checks if it is running in a
Terminal Server session and quits if it does, because the vendor
*knows* that the application doesn't support more than one user at
a time.

If the vendor can't help, I would download FileMon and RegMon from
http://www.sysinternals.com/. Run them as administrator on the
console, start a TS session and try to run the application.

Hopefully, FileMon and RegMon will show you what the application
does and where it stops.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

jdawson@dealer-tools.com (John S. Dawson) wrote in

> I have third-party application written in Delphi (I don't know
> which version) that I need to run on our Windows 2000 Server
> (standard) box. The problem is that the app will run normally
> via the server console but I cannot start it via Terminal
> Services. The TS login that I am using has full admin rights.
>
> I can't help but think that there is some security or policy
> setting that is preventing it from running.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> John S. Dawson
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:59:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Vera,

Thanks for your help. I did as you suggested and FileMon shows a Dr.
Watson when the Delphi application tries to start.

892 10:18:04 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 READ
893 10:18:04 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 READ
894 10:18:04 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 READ
895 10:18:04 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 READ
955 10:18:10 AM drwtsn32.exe:2900 CLOSE

From what I can tell, the error is caused by a missing WINSTA.dll in
the application path. That is the last error before it accesses
drwtsn32.exe. I never see a Dr. Watson dialog.

John

!