Geforce Fx5200 Overclocking HELP!!!

kitrik

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2005
I have a Geforce Fx 5200 and i want to overclock it jus for kicks, does anyone know exactly how far i can push the temperature up before it burns? it runs PainKiller on regular settings at around 70 degrees Celsius, is it possible to overclock any further without any other cooling devices, and if so, about how much could i push it up? It runs at 250 on the core speed and 400 on memory clock, help me out please.

Hameedo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I am sorry If I disappointed you ...but those old models of graphic cards weren't optimized for overclocking ....
you can hardly at 20MhZ to your core ...and 40MHZ to your memory ...even though I can't guarantee your card stabillity at all ....
above all you won't see any major difference for overclocking ...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's a pointless undertaking. The card's base performance is bad enough that overclocking isn't going to achieve anything noticable.

But, to answer the question anyway, you'll start getting artifacts when you push it too far. Some may be due to heat, and some to just pushing the hardware beyond what it can do. The bottom line is, if it looks fine, then try pushing a little more, and testing again, and repeat. Same for overclocking anything - small increments until you hit problems.

If you're concerned about temps, you could fit an aftermarket cooling solution, but as I said above it really is a waste of time on that card.

kcaverly

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
I'm not too sure about that. I have the same card and I've managed a fair bit of overclock. I just took a regular fan i had laying around, probably costs about 5$ and screwed it on to the heatsink (the holes lined up perfectly, so the screws went into the heatsink slots and held it on) it hangs over one end a bit but it works really well.

I've managed to push mine up to 318MHz core, and 492MHz memory. It is stable and doesnt produce any artifacts at these speeds. Mind you, it still isnt going to be a super card, but hey, i squeezed a bit of extra speed, and it was a blast to do.

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
70c degs shit thats pretty damn hot, if you really want to oc go look for a volt mod guide:D i dont know but the 5200Ultra acctually had alright performance some of the time, hmm i wonder if they just put way faster memory on it? dunno, owell. Good Luck.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
hey i know this is an old thread but if anyones still reading it here's my overclocking results just for interest.

Albatron (i think) FX5200:

319 on the core
539 on the memory

stable, only artifacts occasionally due to bad case airflow, if i put a fan on the HS i bet i could get a little more.

cheap card, bad performer. thank goodness we've seen the end of it.

G

May be old topic,but i was too dumb before i saw this
Im really dumb,i overclocked the graphic card,ALOT,i use FX5200(same as here)(Nvidia),but 1 thing is kinda funny,computer runs great on Windows 7,nothing wrong,also works fine on XP SafeMode,but on Normal XP mode,some green markings come all over and the display goes black or starts flashing
Is there a way to undo that overclock(hopes so)

G

sorry i posted soooo late but i am thnking about overclocking my nvidea geforce fx 5200 and i run win 7 on 512mb of ram 86x of corse

cocoadragon

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I also have a GeForce FX5200, and I"m wondering where I can get a link showing how to overclock? I am considering windows 7 on 512MB as well if i can find a cheapie sound card.

vonss

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

That's the right spirit, man. The only thing most of this kids know is how to buy a new card. Is an awesome thing to experiment, think outside the box and feel the satisfaction of achieving your goal.
I myself did the same thing as you, on a GF 420 MX, back on 2004, using the heatsink of a burned GF 6200 and screwing a K6-2 Fan into it. To this day, that card works perfectly on a PC I have to run test and so on.

vonss

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

I don't think it will work, I tried to ran Seven on a PNY Verto GeForce 5950 Ultra and there is no drivers for it.