Ink leaking bottom of printer: HP882

Still trying to figure out where the ink is leaking from, and what I can do
about it.

I 've been shipping an HP-882 between locations twice a year for several
years, packed in the original shipping box, without any problems. The
cartridges were always left in place. Printing was always ok when the
printer was started up at the new location. This last trip some black ink
leaked out into the carton.

The leak was coming mostly from two points at the bottom the printer below
the cartridge parking area. There was still no problem printing; test
sheets were sharp with no streaking of either the black or color.

The area inside under the cartridge parking position looked pretty wet, but
I have
seen that before when there were no leaks. The print heads looked normal;
there was no smearing such as one might see when the cartridge itself is
leaking.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to the possible source of the leak and the
best
way to stop it.

Marty
8 answers Last reply
More about leaking bottom printer hp882

    "Martin" <marty123@swfla.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Still trying to figure out where the ink is leaking from, and what I can
    do
    > about it.

    Many printers have a small tray that the squirt ink into to clean the heads.
    Sometimes there is a little bit of sponge at the bottom. It sounds like
    yours has filled up. It happened to me about 8 weeks ago. Ink everywhere
    when I moved the printer. The printer manufacturers don't always tell you
    how to clean/empty this because they say it should last the lifetime of the
    printer. eg if it fills up your printer is too old they say.

    With care you can take your printer apart and remove the tray. I had to buy
    special torx screw drivers to get my printer apart. Then scoop out the ink
    and rinse out the sponge etc - but it's a messy job. Don't use newspaper to
    protect the carpet - use two layers of plastic sheet. Wear rubber gloves or
    you will have stained hands for a week. I used a mould cleaner containing a
    weak bleach to clean my hands but I don't recommended this!

    > "Martin" <marty123@swfla.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Still trying to figure out where the ink is leaking from, and what I can
    > do
    > > about it.
    >
    > Many printers have a small tray that the squirt ink into to clean the
    heads.
    > Sometimes there is a little bit of sponge at the bottom. It sounds like
    > yours has filled up. It happened to me about 8 weeks ago. Ink everywhere
    > when I moved the printer. The printer manufacturers don't always tell you
    > how to clean/empty this because they say it should last the lifetime of
    the
    > printer. eg if it fills up your printer is too old they say.
    >
    > With care you can take your printer apart and remove the tray. I had to
    buy
    > special torx screw drivers to get my printer apart. Then scoop out the ink
    > and rinse out the sponge etc - but it's a messy job. Don't use newspaper
    > protect the carpet - use two layers of plastic sheet. Wear rubber gloves
    or
    > you will have stained hands for a week. I used a mould cleaner containing
    > weak bleach to clean my hands but I don't recommended this!

    Thanks for the reply. That was my first guess, but I was hoping it might be
    simpler and less messy. Will have to check how it's put together. I have
    a set of torx drivers if that's what they used.

    Marty

    If you have Epson printer,

    http://www.InkRepublic.com is holding Year-End sale. Everything is 20%
    off plus Free shipping to all over the world.

    Their bulk ink system is spongeless which means it wont void your
    warranty.

    They do have great solution for R200, R300, RX500, RX600, R800, 1280,
    2200, C86 ... etc individual cartridge printer.

    Take a look:
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/Installation.asp
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/VideoClips.asp
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/Testimonials.asp

    <trendysystem@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you have Epson printer,
    >
    > [SPAM URL DELETED] is holding Year-End sale. Everything is 20%
    > off plus Free shipping to all over the world.

    Trendysystem - every post you make to any question involves spam for this
    company. Please give it a rest - this is not a forsale group.

    - Bob Headrick

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    We are sorry for thsese spam. We have no control with our 3rd party
    marketing companies. But already told them to stop this adv.

    Again, we apologize for this mess. You all have great holidays.
    InkRepublic.com
    http://www.InkRepublic.com
    info@InkRepublic.com

    "InkRepublic.com" <inkrepublic@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear Sir/Madam,
    >
    > We are sorry for thsese spam. We have no control with our 3rd party
    > marketing companies. But already told them to stop this adv.
    >
    > Again, we apologize for this mess. You all have great holidays.
    > InkRepublic.com
    > http://SNIP.com
    > SNIP@SNIP.com

    If you really are sorry please stop posting further spam.

    - Bob

    I don't want to over emphasize a situation that doesn't require it, but
    in fairness to everyone, I should explain: what happened is I emailed
    Ink Republic to inform them of this situation. They went looking to see
    what exactly was going on, as they were not fully aware of the extent of
    the problem.

    I think in visiting here, they found my comments and so wanted to
    apologize for my irritation with the TROLL postings. They seem to be
    trying to control the situation, and I believe they are sincere and
    recognize that the troll posts are not helping their cause. I suspect
    the sig at the bottom of their message is automated. I believe them that
    some of their distributors are at fault for the postings and that they
    have asked them to stop. Hopefully they will.

    Art

    Bob Headrick wrote:

    > "InkRepublic.com" <inkrepublic@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dear Sir/Madam,
    >>
    >>We are sorry for thsese spam. We have no control with our 3rd party
    >>marketing companies. But already told them to stop this adv.
    >>
    >>Again, we apologize for this mess. You all have great holidays.
    >>InkRepublic.com
    >>http://SNIP.com
    >>SNIP@SNIP.com
    >

    > If you really are sorry please stop posting further spam.
    >
    > - Bob

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals