winocx32.exe missing message on start-up

August 18, 2004 8:15:10 PM

I'm getting a message when I start up saying the file
winocx32.exe is missing ....but when I click the msg off,
windows XP appears to boot up and operate normally. Can
anyone tell me what this is about and how to fix?

thanks
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:55:07 AM

You have some species of W32 virus.
Activate a firewall and run an updated virus scan.
Free online scans can be had from:
Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

McAfee Security - FreeScan
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_...

Run at least 2 of them.
You will probably need other help to remove the accompanying trojan

http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

can help with advice and tools that cope with many various types of W32
infections
Hope this helps,

Chek
--
Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly
"bungay" <bungay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting a message when I start up saying the file
> winocx32.exe is missing ....but when I click the msg off,
> windows XP appears to boot up and operate normally. Can
> anyone tell me what this is about and how to fix?
>
> thanks
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 11:28:20 PM

Actually, he had the virus. Its been removed, but the entry that's trying to load it is still present.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Chek" <chek_16@boosinternet.com> wrote in message news:cg0tpb$gvc$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> You have some species of W32 virus.
> Activate a firewall and run an updated virus scan.
> Free online scans can be had from:
> Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> McAfee Security - FreeScan
> http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp
>
> Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_...
>
> Run at least 2 of them.
> You will probably need other help to remove the accompanying trojan
>
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>
> can help with advice and tools that cope with many various types of W32
> infections
> Hope this helps,
>
> Chek
> --
> Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly
> "bungay" <bungay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> I'm getting a message when I start up saying the file
>> winocx32.exe is missing ....but when I click the msg off,
>> windows XP appears to boot up and operate normally. Can
>> anyone tell me what this is about and how to fix?
>>
>> thanks

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 11:29:16 PM

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Startup Programs Tracker. This utility should show you where this program is trying to load from, and the Help information will assist you in removing it.