Graphic problems on games!! help!

dankeflanke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
hello ;p

recently my computer crashed for some reason.. hal.dll got damaged.. so i reinstalled windows..( but i dont think this has anything to do with this)
and i found that on the games i played World of Warcraft / final fantasy xi online
the graphic were really strange.
I been trying to re installing the computer twice
Updating drivers...
Updating GART too.
i got directx 9.0c

i use Nvidia GeForce 6600 , 128 mb.

when i run Dxdiag. and try Test Direct3d.
i allways see the cube on 7.

on 8 9 tho.. i can see the full cube sometimes...
sometimes i only see the half ones.

ill post some screenies so you could watch closer how it looks... sorry for the screenshots size..
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/selrath/anem.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/selrath/ddd.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/selrath/ooo.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/selrath/bugged.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c193/selrath/Drag.jpg

DD_Jay_AZ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Looks like corrupt Texture memory or RAMDAC on your video card. Possibly overheating, all the fans working?

nVidia based cards are notorious for that. That's while I've only ever used ATi on my personal systems, even though there are certains points of price/performance where nVidia leads on certain cards.

Use MemTest86+ (Bootable CD ISO works best) to make sure your system memory is okay, also try Prime95 or Lucifer to test your CPU. Either of those, especially memory, can corrupt the HAL.dll

Also, use the tools provided by your hard drive manufacturer to test that. Most of the tools will test the controller card logic, not just the platters. If that tests okay, do a full check disk (chkdsk c: /r /v) to make sure your file system is intact.

If you can plug your hard drive into a working system, use "diskpart" (From Microsoft) to clear ALL configuration data, this will totally wipe the drive of MBR data, including basic/dynamic, file system, the whole thing. Windows XP will re-initialize the disk on install.

If after doing all this, if your video textures are still doing that and your getting problems, you can safely say it's the video card. Check your warranty and RMA the card.

I've put extra steps here that aren't needed for video card troubleshooting because of the corrupted HAL.dll

NOTE:
You can debate me all you want on this point about nVidia, your personal experience I'm sure is different.

I've dealt with ALOT of systems, being that I'm in the IT field. about 70% of the bad video cards I see are nVidia based, oddly enough about 20% of them are SiS based, go figure.

I've only seen very few bad ATi cards. Usually any problems with the card has been with the drivers, less so in recent Catalyst releases.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Have u ever OC the card? unlocked piplines or anything else?

have yout tried a different game apart from those 2?

if not try a different game.

It looks like a overheating problem by the screenshots or the memorys gone on the card, check to see the heatsink is not clogged with fluff.

dankeflanke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
no i never tryed oc or anything

how do i check if the fan is working correctly or if its overheated?
also.. uhm

How exactly do i use memtest86+ ? do i need Daemon tools or.. how do i open .Iso files ? xD
also
Uhm.. prime95.. is this one safe? ... i mean.. can my graphic card go total nuts or so with this one?
another edit.. prime95.. am i supposed to take the torture test? xD

dankeflanke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
no

after the crash .. i couldnt load windows so i used a cd to restore the windows
and after i re installed windows it was like this

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok FarCry will kinda look like that with certain video cards. The color balance will be off and some textures will be missing so the ground might have patch of jet black or look hollow. The fix for FarCry is a patch for the game itself. The "cube" always looked fine however.

Since the cube exibits render errors in your case the problem must be before the actual game software. I'm thinking the same thing that caused your system to crash is the same thing giving you trouble now. If you lack any testing software you could try reseating every part that is in any kind of socket. Take out your CPU, memory and especially your video card and then put them all back in again.

Does your 2d look fine? If so you problem is almost certainly local to your video card and related software.

sarge101

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
yea im kinda having the same problem but not as bad...i bought my new 6600gt card 2weeks ago and havnt overclocked or any thing .....but its not as bad as ur pics its only sumtimes it glitches into that..like after an alt tab or a freeze...

plz help us lol its anoying the helll outs me

dankeflanke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I ran Memtest86+ 2 times, i recieved no errors.
i also tryed to install different 3d games.. i got same graphic on theese too..
i did clean my computer a while ago, so i didnt have so much "fluff"...
im also thinkin of trying soon to use my old graphic card to see if its wrong on that card ( hehe i just remebered i got a old card O_O)

dankeflanke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
uhm.. i just noticed.. that the graphic is normal with my old card.
that really means my graphic card is broke huh?....
is there any way to look on the card to see if its broke or should i just try to get another one from the shop/nvidia?

edit: i feel really stupid for not trying this at first :p...
anyway
thanks for the replies! i learned alot so i probably gonna try all those things out before i make a thread if something more would happend xD