Startup Network Icon

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When my Windows XP starts up, it automatically places the
networking (two computers) icon in the bottom right
corner of my screen with a red X on it since it is not
connected. My computer is connected via a wireless
router so this icon is not necessary and serves only as a
link to open my Network Connections box. I want to get
rid of it, but I can't find it anywhere under
msconfig.exe. How can I stop it from appearing there
everytime I start my computer?

Go to CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK CONNECTIONS. There should be
an icon of two computers labeled "Local area connection".
Right-click the icon and select properties and there
should be a check box that says "Show icon in
notification area when connected", just uncheck it.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:41:58 -0700, Danny wrote:

> When my Windows XP starts up, it automatically places the
> networking (two computers) icon in the bottom right
> corner of my screen with a red X on it since it is not
> connected. My computer is connected via a wireless
> router so this icon is not necessary and serves only as a
> link to open my Network Connections box. I want to get
> rid of it, but I can't find it anywhere under
> msconfig.exe. How can I stop it from appearing there
> everytime I start my computer?

Have you tried using Always Hide on this icon in the Customize
Notifications screen? (right click over the time display and select
Customize Notifications)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

That doesn't prevent it from showing the disconnected icon, though.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Abel Diaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8bd501c48591$76c683d0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Go to CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK CONNECTIONS. There should be
> an icon of two computers labeled "Local area connection".
> Right-click the icon and select properties and there
> should be a check box that says "Show icon in
> notification area when connected", just uncheck it.

I'm assuming this is for a standard Ethernet Adapter. If so, right click My Network Places and select Properties. Right click the connection in question and select Disable. Since you're not using it anyway..............