Sign in with
Your question

Dad's Vanguard PC

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2006 1:12:39 PM

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of building a new machine for my dad to use for Vanguard. It's been about 8 yrs since my last build, so the technology has passed me up a bit.

Below is what I have picked out, but I'm not sure what do do about the GPU. I've heard ATI is the best option for Vanguard, but everything else I read points to mobos with the nForce4 chipset for gaming.

My question is, should I go with this setup, and give up any Crossfire ability down the road? Should I go with this setup, but get an SLI capable GPU? Should I go with a Crossfire capable mobo such as the Asus A8R-MVP? If I use the MVP, will the Corsair memory be compatible with the ATI chipset, or should I go with another brand?

He's giving me about a $3000 budget for this system, so I'm not too worried about skimping. I'm at around $2400 right now, but I still need to include a monitor, speakers, etc. Also, I plan to overclock to about 2.4GHz.

I'd appreciate any advice you all have.

Case: Lian Li PC-6070BPLUS Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
GPU: ATI 100-435705 Radeon X1800XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
PSU: Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX
RAM: CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 433 (PC 3500) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3500LLPRO
DVD: NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A
SC: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
HD: WD Raptor 74GB
• Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
• ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu LED 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan

More about : dad vanguard

January 9, 2006 5:41:23 PM

Looks like a very nice rig, regardless of the program it is designed for (I know nothing about Vanguard).

HOWEVER, there is an incompatability between your case and your motherboard. The Asus you selected uses heatpipe technology (no fans, just a large pipe connected to a radiator). The Lian case requires you to install the MB in the inverted position (upside down). This means that the heatpipe cannot work as designed and may cause the motherboard to overheat.

If your heart is set on Lian, you need to get a MB that doesn't use heatpipes. Otherwise, if you want to stick with that Asus MB, there are many other cases to choose from. Personally, I am using a Cooler Master Centurian and think that it is very well built for the price point (~70). I love the fact that the intakes have filter on them.

Also, check out the Zalman 7700 CU and the 9500. A lot of people also highly recommend the ThermalRight XP-90C and the SI-120.
January 9, 2006 5:57:40 PM

The lian li 6070bplus is a standard ATX case you should be fine.

Jagger is refering to the lian li BTX cases which this one is not.
Related resources
January 9, 2006 6:22:07 PM

Nice catch Vascular. Color me embarassed... :oops: 
January 9, 2006 8:34:36 PM

Save some money and dont get a sli MB
January 9, 2006 10:10:00 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Ray12k, any particular reason to not go SLI? The only thing that's really holding me up right now is that there's really only 2 mobos that support Crossfire right now, and it sounds like both have some bugs to be worked out.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, again it's been awhile since my last build, but is there any reason to not mix an ATI card with an nForce4 mobo besides for not being able to utilze Crossfire? I may set him up with this since it should do what he needs, and then if he want's Crossfire down the road, switch out the mobo. By then, there should be more selections in mobos out there.

Or, I could just get a cheaper GPU to hold him over until when the game is launched. Any thoughts on this?

He's beta testing right now, so that's why the push for this before it's launched.

Thanks again!
!