Terminal Services - Newbee question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

We have a 15 node network and are about to upgrade (from a simple p2p
network) to a W2003 server OS. Would it be feasible to run office 2003 on
the terminal services server & have all 15 clients access it that way - or
would it be more practical to install office 2003 on every individual client
instead - I only ask this question as it is cheaper to licence the 1st
option.

Cheers

Fec

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

While it's perfectly possible to have your 15 users run Office
from a Terminal Server, it wouldn't be cheaper, at least not
regarding licensing costs.

You would need 15 Office licenses in both situations. Documented
here:

Licensing Microsoft Office in a Windows Terminal Server
Environment
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/licen
soffice.asp

You would also need 15 TS CALs, and an extra server to run TS (you
don't want to run TS on your Domain Controller).
The main benefit of using TS lies in the fact that you don't have
to run around to every desktop to install and later possibly
upgrade Office 15 times. Just one installation on the TS.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT