can my friend use his nokia cingilar 3390 in Cancun mexico..

Last response: in Network Providers
August 19, 2004 5:38:01 PM

question says it all Ive got a friend who be travel to cancun quite
often and wants to know if can use his phone his cingular 3390 nokia
phone in mexico with a pre paid simi or does he have to get a unlock tri
band phone (off of ebay cheap) for the best results . Any constructive
comment welcome thanx Bob S.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 1:58:40 AM

"Bob 1" <ThatWouldBeTelling@DrakeIsSix.com> wrote in message
> question says it all Ive got a friend who be travel to cancun quite
> often and wants to know if can use his phone his cingular 3390 nokia
> phone in mexico with a pre paid simi or does he have to get a unlock tri
> band phone (off of ebay cheap) for the best results . Any constructive
> comment welcome thanx Bob S.

The 3390 is a 1900 MHz only GSM phone, and I expect that it is locked. Have
him borrow a ATTWS or T-Mobile SIM briefly to be sure. If his 3390 is
unlocked, for use with a TelCel GSM (or anyone else's) SIM, great! An
unlocked single band phone would be enough.

I've roamed in Cancun with my Cingular SIM (had international calling and
international roaming turned for my account). My Nokia 6340i wanted to roam
on Telcel cellular analog, but I didn't want my ESN/MIN flying around in the
clear. I moved my SIM to an unlocked (can be Cingular locked; mine was
formerly Pacific Bell locked) Nokia 5190 so as to be digital, as the
Cingular international roaming web pages told me to expect. Worked fine at
$.79/minute (local, another $.30/minute long distance to USA). First time
I've been outside the NANP.

John C.
August 20, 2004 10:38:56 AM

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:38:01 -0700, Bob 1
<ThatWouldBeTelling@DrakeIsSix.com> wrote:

>question says it all Ive got a friend who be travel to cancun quite
>often and wants to know if can use his phone his cingular 3390 nokia
>phone in mexico with a pre paid simi or does he have to get a unlock tri
>band phone (off of ebay cheap) for the best results . Any constructive
>comment welcome thanx Bob S.

If he wishes to use the phone with a local prepaid it will need to be
unlocked. cingular sells/sold this model locked. It's fairly trivial
these days to get the unlock code generated either through on line
sites or downloading unlock code generators. Register with
http://www.uniquephones.com and you'll have access to an on line
unlock calculator. You don't even have to download any software.

August 20, 2004 3:42:06 PM

In article <L8CdndOisbw0krjcRVn-rA@giganews.com>,
Bob 1 <ThatWouldBeTelling@DrakeIsSix.com> wrote:
>question says it all Ive got a friend who be travel to cancun quite
>often and wants to know if can use his phone his cingular 3390 nokia
>phone in mexico with a pre paid simi or does he have to get a unlock tri
>band phone (off of ebay cheap) for the best results . Any constructive
>comment welcome thanx Bob S.

If the phone is unlocked, yes. The 3390 is a 1900 MHz GSM phone. Both GSM
networks in Mexico (Telcel and Telefonica Movil ['MoviStar']) use 1900
MHz.

In May I was in Cancun and used a Telcel prepaid SIM. Rates are expensive,
especially non-local calls (i.e. international and calls out of the area
where the SIM was ***sold***).
!