Sign in with
Your question

Networking between two cases

Last response: in Networking
May 2, 2003 6:03:21 PM

I am wondering how do you go about linking two cases running two different operating systems. I am planning on devoting one case to windows 98 and the other to windows XP. Can anyone tell me what I need in order to do this.

More about : networking cases

May 2, 2003 7:22:06 PM

Linking two <i>cases</i>? Huh? Are you just talking about putting 2 PCs on a network?

<font color=red>Breaking News:</font color=red> God expelled from Netherlands; not good enough. Details to come.
War Eagle
May 2, 2003 9:19:32 PM

no just cases, Auburn. I am going to hook up to two cases so that I can operate both from the master case.
Related resources
May 2, 2003 10:23:48 PM

Just cases, huh? You're not going to get far with <i>just the cases</i>. You might want to try putting some components in those cases and going from there. Motherboard... CPU...etc.

Maybe you could give more details of what you're really talking about. It <i>kind of</i> sounds like you're talking about a setup with a hardware solution like a KVM switch, or a software solution with an existing LAN, like VNC/PCAnywhere, but it's hard to tell from the little you've said so far. Like I said, you're not going to get very far with <i>just cases</i>. The phrase "just cases" doesn't even include a power supply.

Give us some more info to go with.

<font color=red>Breaking News:</font color=red> God expelled from Netherlands; not good enough. Details to come.
War Eagle<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 05/02/03 05:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 2, 2003 11:10:52 PM

I am planning on using a motherboard and AMD procesorwith a 350 watt ps. The reason why I am asking this is that windows 98 doesn't utilize the 160 gig hd to it's fullest. I have 2 160 gigs and 2 60 gig hds. I am planning on using the 160's in another case devoted to windows XP adn keep the 60's to the windows 98 side. So is there any way I can hook up the 98 case and the XP case together?
May 3, 2003 4:41:41 AM

Put a NIC in each machine and hook up a crossover cable. What's the problem?
May 5, 2003 11:35:56 AM

I think what this guy is looking to do it have a 2nd case just for disks. Like an external disk farm.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
May 6, 2003 2:55:02 AM

true, Jlanka. I would like to have the windows XP case used as a hard drive farm since it will contain the larger drives. I found that when you combine windows XP and windows 98 inside the same hard drive that it doesn't work as well. Considering the fact that I have 4 Hard drives now.
May 6, 2003 11:12:05 AM

Are you looking to use and existing case for an external disk enclosure? Or to buy a new one. I've seen them for SCSI but not so sure if anything like that is available for IDE

May 6, 2003 11:34:57 AM

I am going to buy another tower case just for windows XP. The drives I will be using are IDE 160gigs or greater. Since I have a 14 bay tower case which is now devoted to windows 98. I asked if there was a way to link the two cases together without having to buy a number of other components?
May 6, 2003 12:55:42 PM

back to ambiguity. Now I'm confused. Good luck.

May 6, 2003 11:26:19 PM

you need a set of jumper cables to hook up the two cases. I don't know why you would put the windows 98 CD on top of the case and the windows xp cd on top of the other. I like to store my cd's in a cd-book. does this help?

GK :tongue:

OOoo Look I'm a member! Do I get Privleges now? Where's the secret decoder ring?
May 7, 2003 3:48:59 AM

ghost, this is quite simple. I am trying to hook up two cases one of them being used for windows XP operating system and the other for Windows 98 OS. I will be using the 98 case as a master to the XP case. I am asking this as plain and simple as I can. How do you go about linking the two cases up since in the end the XP case will not have a video or a sound card, just the standard stuff like the motherboard, ethernet card and controller card?
May 7, 2003 12:38:51 PM

ummmm.... It's not do-able. If you figure out a way to do it, though, post your solution here.

May 7, 2003 1:30:25 PM

Ghost, what are you talking about jumper cables for? This isn't an automotive discussion. And where did you get this whole "putting CDs on top of the cases" stuff? That's not what's being discussed here.

TN, first you were talking about just the cases. Then you were talking about just the cases and hard drives. Then you said "I asked if there was a way to link the two cases together without having to buy a number of other components?" Then you said "in the end the XP case will not have a video or a sound card, just the standard stuff like the motherboard, ethernet card and controller card?"

You keep changing the list of components that are going to be in these things, dude. Rather confusing. The last thing you said implied that the "XP case" is only going to be missing video & sound card. Why not just get a cheap video card and network the two machines together?

Until you stop changing your story, we're not going to be able to help much more.

<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>
May 7, 2003 2:37:08 PM

Auburn, I am trying to explain to you what I need help with. I am trying to link two cases together both with different operating systems, one is being used as a soley for storage which is the XP case and the other is windows 98 which will be the master. I do have some background with computers, try 20 years worth but none with networking. The xp case will not have any of the necssary cards except for the bare essentials. How do you go about linking the two together in a way that the windows 98 case will be the master to the XP case?
May 7, 2003 8:00:27 PM

oh here's the problem. Without a video card, the Bios may hiccup and say no video and beep at you without booting. Get a Mobo with onboard video at the least or put in the cheapest video card you got, AGP, PCI, ISA, who cares. Not only could there be a potential in the Bios not seeing a video card and not booting, but you'll have to configure windows XP to share the drive. To do this you'll have to look at what's going on which will require a video card and a monitor to make the changes. While you don't need the monitor you at least need to have one to configure the XP computer. If XP doesn't have the drivers for any of the cards in the computer then you'll have to load them and you'll have to see what your doing to do it properly. I would suggest a KVM switchbox if you only have 1 monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Yes you could use the Remote Assistance to log into and control the XP computer, the problem comes from the fact you have to 1 Load XP onto the computer and 2 you have to load/configure the Network card drivers if necessary to even be able to use remote assistance.

As for the network. Both computers will obviously need a Network Card. If you don't plan on using more then the 2 computers on the network you can make or purchase a cross over cable and use that to connect the two computers. If you are going to use DSL or want more then 2 computers then you'll need a HUB or Switch to connect the 3 computers and/or a router with an intergrated hub or switch is suggested for DSL.

Instead of using 2 different computers it sounds like you just want something like a network storage solution. I would suggest you look at a <A HREF="http://www.snapappliances.com " target="_new">Snap Server</A> as they are made specifically for what you want. They are basically a computer with a hard drive and runs with a different operating system then XP. you can go to <A HREF="http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/outpdir.jsp?searc..." target="_new">NexTag</A> to check the prices of thier products. The <A HREF="http://www.nextag.com/Snap_Appliances_Snap_Server~56919..." target="_new">Snap 1100/80gb</A> ranges from $539 to $630 which would be approximatly the same price of a cheap to mid range computer but you can just plug it in and access it from the 98 computer without problems.

I have to give you a little bit of grief on your 20 years of computer experience. In those 20 years you should have learned something about networking even it if was on Token ring based systems. How did you get 20 years of experience but no knowledge of networking?

GK

OOoo Look I'm a member! Do I get Privleges now? Where's the secret decoder ring?
May 7, 2003 9:23:14 PM

computers don't boot without video cards. Period.

!