Graphics Card Selection

Teetoe

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I am interested in a New Graphics card for my PCI Express machine. I want to change out the X300 I have for a good PCI-E card, I am looking to spend about 200 dollars, and I normally sport Nvidia, but this radeon has not been horrid even though it is low end.

What do you suggest for a card, and please give solid reasons and support for your ideas.

I appreciate the help and suggestions.

Tito

cleeve

Illustrious
~$200 your best bets are the Geforce 6800 GS or Radeon X800 XL.

The 6800 GS is a 12-pipeline card, but very highly clocked.

The X800 XL is a 16-pipeline card, more pipelines but not clocked as high.

Both cards are great and trade blows with each other in benchmarks from what I've seen.

Both have 256-bit memory interfaces so Antialiassing and other eyecandy is doable.

The 6800 GS is probably more overclockable, and in a race this close the 6800 GS's DirectX 9c capability might come into play as opposed to the X800 XL's base DirectX 9 capability.

Then again, the X800 XL's extra pipelines will probably give it an advantage when using eyecandy like Antialiassing & Anistropic Filtering at higher resolutions.

But either card won't dissapoint.

Both are a bit over $200; so if you're looking for the best card UNDER $200, your best bet is probably the X800 GTO, basically a 12-pipeline X800 XL.

blackdog2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
~$200 your best bets are the Geforce 6800 GS or Radeon X800 XL.

The 6800 GS is a 12-pipeline card, but very highly clocked.

The X800 XL is a 16-pipeline card, more pipelines but not clocked as high.

Both cards are great and trade blows with each other in benchmarks from what I've seen.

Both have 256-bit memory interfaces so Antialiassing and other eyecandy is doable.

The 6800 GS is probably more overclockable, and in a race this close the 6800 GS's DirectX 9c capability might come into play as opposed to the X800 XL's base DirectX 9 capability.

Then again, the X800 XL's extra pipelines will probably give it an advantage when using eyecandy like Antialiassing & Anistropic Filtering at higher resolutions.

But either card won't dissapoint.

Both are a bit over $200; so if you're looking for the best card UNDER $200, your best bet is probably the X800 GTO, basically a 12-pipeline X800 XL.

what he said :)