ILS landing question

When I have an airport approach chart I can look up the glide slope entering
altitude.
But what do I do when I do not have an approach chart for the airport in
question.
Is there anywhere in the GPS or in the map that I can see this information
?
I am sure I am missing something.

"Nicolaj C." <fjernmigspamnic@events.dk> wrote in message
> When I have an airport approach chart I can look up the glide slope
entering
> altitude.
> But what do I do when I do not have an approach chart for the airport in
> question.
> Is there anywhere in the GPS or in the map that I can see this
information
> ?
> I am sure I am missing something.

You can make a guess, that at 20 miles out you should be around 2000
feet AGL. Intercept the localizer and track toward the airport and you
should intercept the glideslope in a few miles.

--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA

"Earl Needham" <munged@3lefties.com> wrote in message
> You can make a guess, that at 20 miles out you should be around 2000
> feet AGL. Intercept the localizer and track toward the airport and you
> should intercept the glideslope in a few miles.

Of course, NEVER fly an approach without an approach plate In Real Life. :)
--
Chris
http://www.mcmartinville.com

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Nicolaj C. wrote:

> When I have an airport approach chart I can look up the glide slope entering
> altitude.
> But what do I do when I do not have an approach chart for the airport in
> question.
> Is there anywhere in the GPS or in the map that I can see this information
> ?
> I am sure I am missing something.

Hi Nicolaj,

Which airports? I only really know about the States and the approach
charts at www.airnav.com. That should cover all the USA airports.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

"Earl Needham" <munged@3lefties.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Nicolaj C." <fjernmigspamnic@events.dk> wrote in message
>> When I have an airport approach chart I can look up the glide slope
> entering
>> altitude.
>> But what do I do when I do not have an approach chart for the airport in
>> question.
>> Is there anywhere in the GPS or in the map that I can see this
> information
>> ?
>> I am sure I am missing something.
>
> You can make a guess, that at 20 miles out you should be around 2000
> feet AGL. Intercept the localizer and track toward the airport and you
> should intercept the glideslope in a few miles.
>
> --
> Earl Needham
> Clovis, New Mexico USA

Ups Earl, that's a bit flat..... ;-) Remember the 300ft/NM schedule for a
standard 3° glide. So make it 2500 ft AGL at 8 NM plus 2 NM for intercepting
the ILS from below. So 10 NM is ok.
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> "Earl Needham" <munged@3lefties.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > You can make a guess, that at 20 miles out you should be around 2000
> > feet AGL. Intercept the localizer and track toward the airport and you
> > should intercept the glideslope in a few miles.
> >
> Ups Earl, that's a bit flat..... ;-) Remember the 300ft/NM schedule for a
> standard 3° glide. So make it 2500 ft AGL at 8 NM plus 2 NM for
intercepting
> the ILS from below. So 10 NM is ok.

Oh I was just remembering the ILS I learned on back at Valdosta,
Georgia. You flew a 22-mile DME arc at (I think) 2200 feet (ground almost
at sea level there) and intercepted the localizer. About 10 miles out, you
found the glideslope and started down.

I think that's right, it's been maybe 15 years since I was there.

--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA

Hi,

You can usually estimate it as 1500-3000 ft above the airport elevation,
depending on the size of aircraft you are flying.

Hope this helps,

Nicolaj C. wrote:
> When I have an airport approach chart I can look up the glide slope entering
> altitude.
> But what do I do when I do not have an approach chart for the airport in
> question.
> Is there anywhere in the GPS or in the map that I can see this information
> ?
> I am sure I am missing something.

TRENDING THREADS