Office 2000 user permissions

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Server 2003. Installed Office 2000. Runs fine as an administrator under
TS. Login as a domain user only. I get

"Only administrators have permission to add, remove or configure server
software during a Terminal Services remote session. If you want to install
or configure software on the server, contact your network administator"

I can make that user a local administrator and it works fine. I get this
message just starting any of the office products - Word, Outlook etc. Then
remove them from the local administrator's group and it doesn't work any
more.

I don't want to run this person(s) as an administrator. What are my
options. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Randy Wells

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Did you install Office 2000 with the transform file, as described
here:

224313 - How to Install Office 2000 on Windows 2000 Terminal
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224313

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Randy Wells" <FirstinitialLastName@nowhere.com> wrote on 02 nov
2004 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:

> Server 2003. Installed Office 2000. Runs fine as an
> administrator under TS. Login as a domain user only. I get
>
> "Only administrators have permission to add, remove or configure
> server software during a Terminal Services remote session. If
> you want to install or configure software on the server, contact
> your network administator"
>
> I can make that user a local administrator and it works fine. I
> get this message just starting any of the office products -
> Word, Outlook etc. Then remove them from the local
> administrator's group and it doesn't work any more.
>
> I don't want to run this person(s) as an administrator. What
> are my options. Any advice is welcome.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Randy Wells

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Basically yes. I went to a command prompt and used change user / install
and then / execute. I used the Transforms=TermSrver.mst. One thing I'm
not sure of is where do I go to check and see if I am in "Application Server
mode"?

Thanks again,

Randy

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Did you install Office 2000 with the transform file, as described
> here:
>
> 224313 - How to Install Office 2000 on Windows 2000 Terminal
> Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224313
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Randy Wells" <FirstinitialLastName@nowhere.com> wrote on 02 nov
> 2004 in microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:
>
> > Server 2003. Installed Office 2000. Runs fine as an
> > administrator under TS. Login as a domain user only. I get
> >
> > "Only administrators have permission to add, remove or configure
> > server software during a Terminal Services remote session. If
> > you want to install or configure software on the server, contact
> > your network administator"
> >
> > I can make that user a local administrator and it works fine. I
> > get this message just starting any of the office products -
> > Word, Outlook etc. Then remove them from the local
> > administrator's group and it doesn't work any more.
> >
> > I don't want to run this person(s) as an administrator. What
> > are my options. Any advice is welcome.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >

> > Randy Wells

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

If you installed TS, you are. TS on 2003 implies Application
Server mode.

Check in TS Configuration - Server settings - licensing

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Randy Wells" <FirstinitialLastName@nowhere.com> wrote on 04 nov
2004:

> Basically yes. I went to a command prompt and used change user
> / install and then / execute. I used the
> Transforms=TermSrver.mst. One thing I'm not sure of is where do
> I go to check and see if I am in "Application Server mode"?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Randy
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Did you install Office 2000 with the transform file, as
>> described here:
>>
>> 224313 - How to Install Office 2000 on Windows 2000 Terminal
>> Server
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224313
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Randy Wells" <FirstinitialLastName@nowhere.com> wrote on 02
>> nov 2004 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:
>>
>> > Server 2003. Installed Office 2000. Runs fine as an
>> > administrator under TS. Login as a domain user only. I get
>> >
>> > "Only administrators have permission to add, remove or
>> > configure server software during a Terminal Services remote
>> > session. If you want to install or configure software on the
>> > server, contact your network administator"
>> >
>> > I can make that user a local administrator and it works fine.
>> > I get this message just starting any of the office products
>> > - Word, Outlook etc. Then remove them from the local
>> > administrator's group and it doesn't work any more.
>> >
>> > I don't want to run this person(s) as an administrator. What
>> > are my options. Any advice is welcome.
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> >

>> > Randy Wells

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Ok, went back to the notes and reinstalled. Everything is working well.
The only thing I saw that I might have done wrong is I used the "Custom"
button rather than the "Install" button. I didn't change any setting but I
wanted to see which compents were selected. Anyway, its working.