MSDE does not work in Terminal Services: REQUIRES ALL USER..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 18, 2004 1:59:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.security,microsoft.public.fox.programmer.exchange,microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I just had an application ported/rewritten from VFP to .net and in order to
give users access to it in a Terminal Services deployment (in a one server
setting) , ALL USERS MUST BE ADDED TO THE ADMINISTRATORS GROUP!!!!!

My developer told me this is necessary, and is not a big deal. HUH???!!!

I think I'm (she's) missing something and can really use some help.

Can anyone tell me how to set this up???

PLEASE REPLY ONLY TO NEWSGROUPS SO ALL WILL BENEFIT!!!
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 2:52:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.security,microsoft.public.fox.programmer.exchange,microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

You are absolutely right to mistrust the developers advice.
This is a big deal!
If the application runs correctly under the Administrator account,
but not for normal users, there is nearly always a better solution
than making all users Administrators:

Download FileMon and RegMon from http://www.sysinternals.com/. Run
them as administrator, start a TS session as a normal user and try
to run the application.

FileMon and RegMon will show you all "access denied" errors
that occur, so that you can give your users the necessary
permissions on a file-to file or Registry subkey basis.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"HelpNeeded" <louis_sorbera@msn.com> wrote on 18 nov 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:

> I just had an application ported/rewritten from VFP to .net and
> in order to give users access to it in a Terminal Services
> deployment (in a one server setting) , ALL USERS MUST BE ADDED
> TO THE ADMINISTRATORS GROUP!!!!!
>
> My developer told me this is necessary, and is not a big deal.
> HUH???!!!
>
> I think I'm (she's) missing something and can really use some
> help.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to set this up???
>
> PLEASE REPLY ONLY TO NEWSGROUPS SO ALL WILL BENEFIT!!!
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 7:20:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.security,microsoft.public.fox.programmer.exchange,microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Hi,

as mentioned by Vera Noest, use filemon/regmon to find the necessary right.

In addition :
Can you start other applications ?
Do they want you to let the users be local administrators "only" ? or domain
admins ? or admins on the server ?
Sometimes admin rights are only needed for installation and then the link to
the file must bei moved to the desktop folder of the user.
If you can understand german language try the c´t from www.heise.de. They
had a good story :"Living without being admin" and hints how to install
software.

Off topic
On the other hand if all users become admins, the passwort/user
administration is easier :-)

HTH
Tom

I would NEVER allow users to get admin rights.

"HelpNeeded" <louis_sorbera@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:o wOVjeYzEHA.3808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I just had an application ported/rewritten from VFP to .net and in order
> give users access to it in a Terminal Services deployment (in a one server
> setting) , ALL USERS MUST BE ADDED TO THE ADMINISTRATORS GROUP!!!!!
>
> My developer told me this is necessary, and is not a big deal. HUH???!!!
>
> I think I'm (she's) missing something and can really use some help.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to set this up???
>
> PLEASE REPLY ONLY TO NEWSGROUPS SO ALL WILL BENEFIT!!!

November 24, 2004 10:29:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.security,microsoft.public.fox.programmer.exchange,microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

My developer has now stated the problem is with MSDE which is designed for a
single user setting. They told me since the product is designed only for
single user setting, it is necessary to charge me for a "security shroud" I
guess you might say that tricks it into working in a multi-user environment.

That does make sense?

Is MSDE single user?

--
"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> You are absolutely right to mistrust the developers advice.
> This is a big deal!
> If the application runs correctly under the Administrator account,
> but not for normal users, there is nearly always a better solution
> than making all users Administrators:
>
> Download FileMon and RegMon from http://www.sysinternals.com/. Run
> them as administrator, start a TS session as a normal user and try
> to run the application.
>
> FileMon and RegMon will show you all "access denied" errors
> that occur, so that you can give your users the necessary
> permissions on a file-to file or Registry subkey basis.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "HelpNeeded" <louis_sorbera@msn.com> wrote on 18 nov 2004 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:
>
>> I just had an application ported/rewritten from VFP to .net and
>> in order to give users access to it in a Terminal Services
>> deployment (in a one server setting) , ALL USERS MUST BE ADDED
>> TO THE ADMINISTRATORS GROUP!!!!!
>>
>> My developer told me this is necessary, and is not a big deal.
>> HUH???!!!
>>
>> I think I'm (she's) missing something and can really use some
>> help.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to set this up???
>>
>> PLEASE REPLY ONLY TO NEWSGROUPS SO ALL WILL BENEFIT!!!
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 10:29:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.security,microsoft.public.fox.programmer.exchange,microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

No, it is not single user. It is limited in only the simultaneous queries
that can be processed.

I do not know if it wil work in a Terminal Services environment, but if it
didn't, I'm sure it would be alot more than just you complaining. You're
the first I've heard.

--
Fred
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

"HelpNeeded" <louis_sorbera@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o TY2MXo0EHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> My developer has now stated the problem is with MSDE which is designed for
> a single user setting. They told me since the product is designed only for
> single user setting, it is necessary to charge me for a "security shroud"
> I guess you might say that tricks it into working in a multi-user
> environment.
>
> That does make sense?
>
> Is MSDE single user?
>
> --
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
>> You are absolutely right to mistrust the developers advice.
>> This is a big deal!
>> If the application runs correctly under the Administrator account,
>> but not for normal users, there is nearly always a better solution
>> than making all users Administrators:
>>
>> Download FileMon and RegMon from http://www.sysinternals.com/. Run
>> them as administrator, start a TS session as a normal user and try
>> to run the application.
>>
>> FileMon and RegMon will show you all "access denied" errors
>> that occur, so that you can give your users the necessary
>> permissions on a file-to file or Registry subkey basis.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "HelpNeeded" <louis_sorbera@msn.com> wrote on 18 nov 2004 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:
>>
>>> I just had an application ported/rewritten from VFP to .net and
>>> in order to give users access to it in a Terminal Services
>>> deployment (in a one server setting) , ALL USERS MUST BE ADDED
>>> TO THE ADMINISTRATORS GROUP!!!!!
>>>
>>> My developer told me this is necessary, and is not a big deal.
>>> HUH???!!!
>>>
>>> I think I'm (she's) missing something and can really use some
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to set this up???
>>>
>>> PLEASE REPLY ONLY TO NEWSGROUPS SO ALL WILL BENEFIT!!!

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 4:54:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.security,microsoft.public.fox.programmer.exchange,microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

There are some issues with installation of MSDE on a Terminal
Server, but after that it should work.

317268 - PRB: The MSDE Installation Does Not Succeed If the
Installation Computer Is Running Terminal Services in Application
Server Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317268

830629 - You Cannot Install MSDE 2000 SP3 on a Windows 2000
Terminal Server in Application Server Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830629

Sounds to me that the application is developed without Terminal
Services in mind, and is therefore "single user", not MSDE.

Again, if it works for Administrators, you should be able to solve
the problem with the help of FileMon and RegMon.
But be sure to check for other issues as well, like all users
writing their personal settings to the same file, or something
like that. Even if you get it to *run* for all users, it might
still not *function* correctly, since the developer obviously
isn't very knowledgeable about TS.

--

!