AMD 64 Processor too hot

Ezendil

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
System Specs:

Abit AN8 Ultra
AMD Athlon 64 3200 (Stock heatsink and fan)
eVGA GeForce 7800GTX
Antec Neo HE 500Watt
Corsair Value RAM 2*512

My first time booting up the system, and trying to install windows, the processor overheated and the computer crashed. After that when I would boot up the computer I would get temperatures in the high 60's C. So I replaced the thermal pad that came with the processor with Arctic Silver 5 and was able to achieve a stable system, albeit with high temps (40-50 idle, 60's 100% cpu). But with sustained CPU usage, the temp would rise to 75. I then re-applied arctic silver, following the directions from their website, but after turning the computer on and entering the bios the temperature starts at 60 and steadily rises.

I was fairly sure this was a problem with the heat conduction between the processor and heatsink because the heatsink would become warm, but not hot during operation; but i don't know anymore. So, if someone could help me out, it would be much apreciated.

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
This will sound pretty basic, but is your case breathing OK? Regardless of how well a CPU cooler works, if the hot air cannot get out of the case, everything will get hot inside... Think of it like an oven.