HP LaserJet 6P: slow power-up after adding memory

I just bought a used HP LaserJet 6P (for only US$50!). It works fine, but I
want PostScript, so I bought a PostScript SIMM and 16 MB RAM SIMM from
www.printerworks.com. So now I have a 19MB LaserJet 6MP. The strange thing
is that it takes a lot longer to power on ever since I installed the RAM
SIMM. When I turn it on, all 6 lights come on and stay on for about 25
seconds, then it goes through the normal light cycling and is soon ready.
Is this normal for a 6P? Before I put the RAM in, it just went right to the
light blinking/cycling. Maybe it's normal behavior, testing the extra
16MB of memory? I just want to know if my printer is OK... Thanks.

It's normal; mine w. extra memory does exactly the same.

ljb wrote:

> I just bought a used HP LaserJet 6P (for only US$50!). It works fine, but I
> want PostScript, so I bought a PostScript SIMM and 16 MB RAM SIMM from
> www.printerworks.com. So now I have a 19MB LaserJet 6MP. The strange thing
> is that it takes a lot longer to power on ever since I installed the RAM
> SIMM. When I turn it on, all 6 lights come on and stay on for about 25
> seconds, then it goes through the normal light cycling and is soon ready.
> Is this normal for a 6P? Before I put the RAM in, it just went right to the
> light blinking/cycling. Maybe it's normal behavior, testing the extra
> 16MB of memory? I just want to know if my printer is OK... Thanks.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ljb wrote:

> I just bought a used HP LaserJet 6P (for only US$50!). It works fine, but I
> want PostScript, so I bought a PostScript SIMM and 16 MB RAM SIMM from
> www.printerworks.com. So now I have a 19MB LaserJet 6MP. The strange thing
> is that it takes a lot longer to power on ever since I installed the RAM
> SIMM. When I turn it on, all 6 lights come on and stay on for about 25
> seconds, then it goes through the normal light cycling and is soon ready.
> Is this normal for a 6P? Before I put the RAM in, it just went right to the
> light blinking/cycling. Maybe it's normal behavior, testing the extra
> 16MB of memory? I just want to know if my printer is OK... Thanks.

Dunno about the HP. IBM 4049 with Postscript and max. mem. takes longer
to go Ready than bare 4029.

In article <418C6EE0.FEC9B8D4@att.net>, Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote:

> ljb wrote:
> >
> > I just bought a used HP LaserJet 6P (for only US$50!). It works fine, but I
> > want PostScript, so I bought a PostScript SIMM and 16 MB RAM SIMM from
> > www.printerworks.com. So now I have a 19MB LaserJet 6MP. The strange thing
> > is that it takes a lot longer to power on ever since I installed the RAM
> > SIMM. When I turn it on, all 6 lights come on and stay on for about 25
> > seconds, then it goes through the normal light cycling and is soon ready.
> > Is this normal for a 6P? Before I put the RAM in, it just went right to the
> > light blinking/cycling. Maybe it's normal behavior, testing the extra
> > 16MB of memory? I just want to know if my printer is OK... Thanks.
>

> Dunno about the HP. IBM 4049 with Postscript and max. mem. takes longer
> to go Ready than bare 4029.

it's running a memory test, i believe. i upped the memory
in my HP 4000 and the same things happened. i haven't found
a knob for "abbreviated memory test" like in most PC BIOS roms,
but maybe there's on there somewhere.

-mo

mo@ccr.org wrote:
> In article <418C6EE0.FEC9B8D4@att.net>, Michael <NoSpam@att.net> wrote:
>
>> ljb wrote:
>> >
>> > I just bought a used HP LaserJet 6P (for only US$50!). It works fine, but I
>> > want PostScript, so I bought a PostScript SIMM and 16 MB RAM SIMM from
>> > www.printerworks.com. So now I have a 19MB LaserJet 6MP. The strange thing
>> > is that it takes a lot longer to power on ever since I installed the RAM
>> > SIMM. When I turn it on, all 6 lights come on and stay on for about 25
>> > seconds, then it goes through the normal light cycling and is soon ready.
>> > Is this normal for a 6P? Before I put the RAM in, it just went right to the
>> > light blinking/cycling. Maybe it's normal behavior, testing the extra
>> > 16MB of memory? I just want to know if my printer is OK... Thanks.
>>

>> Dunno about the HP. IBM 4049 with Postscript and max. mem. takes longer
>> to go Ready than bare 4029.
>
> it's running a memory test, i believe. i upped the memory
> in my HP 4000 and the same things happened. i haven't found
> a knob for "abbreviated memory test" like in most PC BIOS roms,
> but maybe there's on there somewhere.

Thanks to all who responded. It's reassuring to hear that it is working OK.
(When I first installed the SIMM, I turned the printer on, saw all the
lights stay on, said Oh-S*@! and turned it off. Reseat the SIMM, try a
different slot, clean the slots, etc... no use. Then I gave up and let it
stay on, and - imagine that - it worked.)