21 Jan 2005, Newbie, Win2k Terminal (App.) server how to k..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hello ,

I am new to Terminal Services. I installed Win2k SP2, Terminal Services
(Application Server) on my P-4 2.4 Ghz, 512 MB DDR RAM, 80 GB HDD machine.

I could install client s/w on old machines those run on Pentium/100mhz
and/or Pentium/66 mhz etc.

I am planning to use this for my regular development work where my
developers in to Run VB 6.0, Access97/2000/2002 etc and Word/Excel etc.
Approximately 5 clients will be working on the server.

I got several queries and not sure how to proceed,

1. I want to hide some drives (i.e. Hard disk partitions) from the user
/developers. Is it possible ?

2. Also I want to make sure its not possible to view some directories and
portions under any circumstances by clients/developers.

3. I had seen something database server in Terminal Services, I am confused
whether it is meant to install Sql Server 2000/Oracle etc.

4. Does samba server help me in hiding the content or drives or several
files on hard drive ? Not sure whether I can use Samba and Win2k in
conjuction etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
[Sham]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

While you can do everything you want under local policies and NTFS security,
if your environment will ever grow, it would be beneficial if you went to
active directory to manage it. Obviously, more complicated then a single
server, but much easier to support.

--

gt
Server Based Computing Evangelist

"Sham Yemul" <yemulss@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> Hello ,
>
> I am new to Terminal Services. I installed Win2k SP2, Terminal Services
> (Application Server) on my P-4 2.4 Ghz, 512 MB DDR RAM, 80 GB HDD machine.
>
> I could install client s/w on old machines those run on Pentium/100mhz
> and/or Pentium/66 mhz etc.
>
> I am planning to use this for my regular development work where my
> developers in to Run VB 6.0, Access97/2000/2002 etc and Word/Excel etc.
> Approximately 5 clients will be working on the server.
>
> I got several queries and not sure how to proceed,
>
> 1. I want to hide some drives (i.e. Hard disk partitions) from the user
> /developers. Is it possible ?
>
> 2. Also I want to make sure its not possible to view some directories and
> portions under any circumstances by clients/developers.
>
> 3. I had seen something database server in Terminal Services, I am
confused
> whether it is meant to install Sql Server 2000/Oracle etc.
>
> 4. Does samba server help me in hiding the content or drives or several
> files on hard drive ? Not sure whether I can use Samba and Win2k in
> conjuction etc.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> [Sham]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client,microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.connectivity (More info?)

Hello,

Thanks for the response,
TS server's performance will be degrade if I use Domain controller.
Do I need domain controler to use Active Directory ?

Thanks
Regards
[Sham]