NT Terminal Server & MS Project

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Not sure if this question should go here or in the MS Project group.

Am logging into a client's Windows NT Terminal Server 4.0 box via
Citrix Metaframe Client v8.01.

Client has some MS Project files in a folder that's on a share drive.
Weekly this folder is copied (both have happened, depending on who does
it) to a new folder name containing a date within the current week, and
the old folder is moved to an "Obsolete" folder as for archiving.

Client's help desk ensures there are no access/permission problems and
that I have CHANGE access down to this folder level.

However, when trying to open any of the MS Project files after the
folder has been copied to a new folder, I get an error message "Cannot
find the file 'S:\A\AA & BB\Schedule\Current Schedule as of 30 Jan
2005\ScheduleName.mpp' (or one of its components). Make sure the path
and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
available."

This happens both when I double-click on the file to open it in MS
Project and when I open MS Project throught the applications menu, then
do "File/Open".
Any suggestions where next to look to try and resolve the issue?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Which version of MS Project?
Could you try this:
copy the file to C:\temp instead (or S:\temp).
If you can open it from there, I would guess that the application
can't handle long filenames correctly (or search paths with spaces
and/or the "&" sign in it).

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

jennifer.lyon@ngc.com wrote on 01 feb 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:

> Not sure if this question should go here or in the MS Project
> group.
>
> Am logging into a client's Windows NT Terminal Server 4.0 box
> via Citrix Metaframe Client v8.01.
>
> Client has some MS Project files in a folder that's on a share
> drive. Weekly this folder is copied (both have happened,
> depending on who does it) to a new folder name containing a date
> within the current week, and the old folder is moved to an
> "Obsolete" folder as for archiving.
>
> Client's help desk ensures there are no access/permission
> problems and that I have CHANGE access down to this folder
> level.
>
> However, when trying to open any of the MS Project files after
> the folder has been copied to a new folder, I get an error
> message "Cannot find the file 'S:\A\AA & BB\Schedule\Current
> Schedule as of 30 Jan 2005\ScheduleName.mpp' (or one of its
> components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and
> that all required libraries are available."
>
> This happens both when I double-click on the file to open it in
> MS Project and when I open MS Project throught the applications
> menu, then do "File/Open".
> Any suggestions where next to look to try and resolve the issue?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I copied the files to a new folder and opened the files in the new
folder (with no problems).

In the past couple days, it appears another user in the office accessed
the files and made changes (no problem with that, in general... it's
part of that person's job).

Now... the problem has cropped up again. So somehow, the permissions
are getting changed or the files in the folder are being re-created.

I'm stumped.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I can't say that I completely understand how you are handling this
file (especially with the previous context of the thread gone), but
I seem to recall that you move this file on a weekly basis.
Remember that *moving* files within the same file system keeps the
file permissions, but copying a file makes the new copy inherit the
file permissions form the new parent folder. You might want to
investigate how your move/copy operation is done.
I would also enable full security auditing of this file, to see
what is happening.

--

"jsl" <jennifer.lyon@ngc.com> wrote on 04 feb 2005 in