Opinions on possible complete new build

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
I just wanted to check and see what your opinions are of a possible new build. The most intensive use will be gaming. Other uses will likely not entertain more than 10-15% of system resources (e.g. internet, work, etc.) I'm trying to stay around (less is better) $1500. I appreciate any input.

Motherboard
Asus A8N5X Nvidia nForce 4 MB: $101.00

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego: $223.00

RAM
2 gb Corsair Value Select: $184.00

Video Card
MSI Geforce 7800gt: $286.00

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!: $35.00

Power Supply/Case
Antec Lifestyle Sonata II w/ 450W PSU: $120.00

Optical Drive
NEC DVD Burner: $44.00

Hard Drive Seagate
160gb HDD w/ 8mb cache: $40.00

Speakers
Logitech X-530: $60.00

Monitor
Viewsonic VX924 6ms 19" LCD 550:1 contrast: $365.00

Mouse
Logitech MX-518: $44.00

Keyboard
Logitech Black Wired Keyboard: $14.00

Total $1,516.00

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
I thought about the X2 series but I didn't think my usage jusified the price they are selling for. Do you really think it is worth the extra $24 to go from CAS3 to CAS2? I have run both CAS2.5 and CAS2 in the past and been unable to tell any difference. I suppose there is some value in the overclocking potential of the XMS as well. Anything else I'm missing?

FreshMeat

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
It's worth it in my opinion. You would be going from cas3 to cas2 and would have much better overclocking ability. There is a difference in FPS using cas2 over cas3 and you would also see lower times when you are encoding/decoding movies or mp3's.

cp

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
On the Antec Sonata II case, I have it too -- just a couple of things to be aware of:

1) The black painted finish looks great, but scratches very easily putting normal items like cd cases, game controllers, etc. on it.

2) I'll probably never buy a case again that has a door on it. Every time you want to put a CD in or turn if off or on, you have to open the door.

Similarly with the door that covers the front audio/USB ports, that door hasn't been shut ever.

3) This case does not have the motherboard drawer that some others do. Nice to have when installing a motherboard only (probably something you'll do at most twice for the life of the case) so not really an issue.

These are minor things -- just FYI.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Thanks for the heads up on the Sonata II. I set stuff on my computer all the time. I didn't know it was that fragile. That could be a problem. I've never had a motherboard tray in a case, so I really don't know how much of a benefit that would be. I've never really had a problem before. As for the door, do you know of any nice-looking cases without doors? Most I've seen without doors in this price range, with a nice power supply, are pretty ugly or really cheap looking.

FreshMeat

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
The Sonata is hard to beat for the money - it is well built and comes with a quality psu. I personally don't mind the door - it makes it look cleaner and I am not always putting cd/dvd into the drive.

If you want to spend a little more, you can get the Antec P180 - which has a door, but the door swings all the way open (flush). But then you would have to purchase a psu as well.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Also, would it be worth it to invest in an aftermarket CPU cooler/heatsink or is the stock Athlon 64 cooler sufficient, even with mild overclocking? I think the Sonata comes with one 120mm fan. It doesn't look like it has any other fan slots. I have always found that I need one good intake fan and one good exhaust fan. What are my options with this case and does it even need more cooling than just the one fan?