Sign in with
Your question

A8AE-LE

Last response: in Motherboards
January 10, 2006 6:57:56 PM

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion computer with the Asus A8AE-LE mb. The MB appears to be HP proprietary; hence, I can find no info about it on the Asus site, and only cursory info on the HP site.
I'm trying to find a comprehensive user manual for this board, similar to what Asus provides for their other boards. Anyone have any info on this?
Also, this mb utilizes Cool and Quiet technology (which is apparently activated on my computer), but HP provides no info on how I can access the temperature, cooling fan rpm, etc. info that's supposed to be available using Asus software. Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks.

More about : a8ae

February 12, 2006 3:09:25 PM

Same here! If anybody knows where to find info on this MB please post!
February 28, 2006 10:45:31 PM

I have that mb also and cant find any info on it :x
Related resources
March 13, 2006 9:02:47 PM

hi there . i have same sys you have i think . its a HP 4100e.. with the amd 64.2 processor running at 4400+ .. and same MB you have .. and i cant over clock it . did anyone ever get back to you on it .. i cant seem to find any replys on your messag for help plz reply. to my email stanhope_chad@hotmail.com thx a lot
March 14, 2006 6:14:12 PM

Chad, I never got the info that I was looking for. I did find out that I could access the temps via the BIOS, but that doesn't help while I'm actually booted and using the PC. The ASUS Probe sioftware won't load on this machine.

3D-ILLUSION, your link takes me to the "cursory info on the HP site" that I described in my initial post. I'm looking for a comprehensive MB users manual, such as ASUS provides for its branded MB's. Thanks for the response.
January 9, 2007 2:43:38 AM

HP doesn't want users to have access to options and such. I agree with part of this, as most users will wreck their new pc in some way.

Here's some info:

ClockGen (you have to find the pll on the actual mobo) works but increases all bus freqs as well :evil: 

I up'ed mine to 2.2ghz but then reduced it.

SpeedFan works for temp monitoring and fan control (you only have the cpu fan and 1 chassis fan).

I've had this mobo since early 2006 with a 3200+, so its nice and stable.

I don't believe you'll find the comprehensive manual you are looking for.

-Ben
March 21, 2007 5:05:41 PM

I think you may be right about a comprehensive manual not existing for this motherboard. I have one also that came with my store bought Presario SR1834NX. I have tried the Asus website and spoke with a phone tech who told me they have no manual for the A8AE LE because it is an OEM motherboard, so I would have to go through HP/Compaq. I called HP and let me warn you now if you don't know....their tech support is in India..OK..nuff said. It was a nightmare with the person I dealt with who took about 20-25 mins to download 7 different manuals :(  :(  pertaining to my computer, none containing the detailed motherboard info I was looking for. I need things like jumper settings and such. Well PRETTY PLEASE...If anyone does per chance happen to find a manual of this type..PLEASE let me know!!!
April 11, 2007 1:08:30 PM

I have a compaq sr1750nx with the same motherboard. i got on compaqs website and found motherboard specs. i have copy and pasted it to word and have it for reference. if you can't find it, email me and i will forward it to you.
infted@yahoo.com
April 24, 2007 7:58:02 PM

I know this has nothing to do with the topic but I have a Compaq computer also with the same motherboard and was wanting to know if maybe an AMD Opteron 185 would work on this motherboard. The Opteron requires a Socket 939 which the motherboard has. I talked to someone at Compaq, and they told me that the maximum they tested is a A64 X2 4800+ and that is what I should get but alas I cannot find it. Do you think the Opteron would work with this motherboard?
November 5, 2007 5:23:26 PM

ichibantaitaicho, did you try the Opteron? Has anyone tried an Opteron in this system? I just purchased an Opteron 185 and was wondering if I should start getting depressed now or later.
December 28, 2007 1:14:10 PM

I have this same motherboard in a Compaq 1720NX. I was curious too if it makes sense to upgrade the processor or just buy a cheap AM2 motherboard & processor. Anybody have luck with the 4800+X2 or Operton 185 or FX-60 in this motherboard? Wheres the cheapest place to buy these 939 processors? Ebay??
January 4, 2008 2:14:49 PM

HP Tech support says [transcript from online chat re my hp Pavilion m7100e]:

This motherboard can be upgraded with the following processors
Athlon64 X2 4800
Athlon 64 4000
Sempron 3200

I just ordered the [OEM] Athlon64 X2 4800+, for $219, from PriceGrabber.com (geekdeal 'storefront') and am hopeful it will work!
January 8, 2008 1:47:25 PM

Anybody get the Opteron 185 or FX-60 to work here? They're both 939 so you'd think they would...
February 5, 2008 1:28:16 AM

rsteeb,

Great to hear that your 4800+ is working. I just upgraded to a 4400+ and am seeing idle temps at 48C. When gaming, the temps run into the 60c range. What are you seeing with your 4800+? When I changed the processor, I changed the fan to a Thermaltake TR2-R1 but the motherboard didn't like it and gave a bootup error saying no fan installed and would shutdown. Once diabled in the bios, it would work fine. Had the same problem with MCE and ended up doing a complete re-install but is working fine now.
April 4, 2008 6:53:57 AM

i helped a friend install an opteron 180 last year. his fans are always on and always blowing hard.

i just got a hand-me-down from a different friend who had the same machine. i upgraded it to the 3.15 bios and it's all good.

now i need to find a reasonable price on a processor. that's going to be the difficult part.

that being said, hp used different revisions of the motherboard, so tread warily.

October 1, 2008 9:57:48 PM

The specs say PCI Express slot but give no speed (1x, 8x, 16x?). Anyone have any idea what type it is?
October 28, 2008 7:45:23 PM

I own a HP Pavilion a1357c with a AMD Athalon 64X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz processor. I downloaded a Product Spec sheet from HP and the product spec sheet says the PCI Express x16. Does this help?
November 10, 2008 4:06:43 AM

i know this is different but i have the same board but with a 3000+ 1.8ghz processor but i was wandering it is recommended to upgrade to Windows vista and where can i find the audio drivers for vista since i have no audio and i got good news the integrated video Ati Radeon Xpress 200 it went from a 128mb - 700mb but you have to have at least 1700mb of Ram
November 10, 2008 1:41:41 PM

1700mb is a lot of ram, lol.
November 10, 2008 3:59:19 PM

TRAFFICBLOWS said:
Same here! If anybody knows where to find info on this MB please post!

Go to the HP site and look up your your model and then go to the drivers and download page. All of the info is there, by the way the PCI-E is X1. This info is for model a1310n (ASUS A8AE-LE) AMD 64 and ATI grafics.
December 8, 2008 9:23:02 PM

Thread necromancers! Come on, this thread is from 2006. Mods please lock!
December 9, 2008 1:08:44 AM

Dave, why lock the thread? Many have this MB, many have questions. Why should you care if this thread is here, open and a source of info for the needy? Really...stick to your own lane.
December 26, 2008 5:31:25 PM

I have just started researching this motherboard because I have it in a store bought Presario. What I am wanting to do is buy an OEM version of XP Pro and install it to get rid of all the extra crap that the recovery disks I created will give me if I use them to wipe it clean.

I have been mod'ing this computer and using it for home theater as a project to learn on before I build a new system. I have installed 2 new Lite-on DVD burners and and extra 2 gig of Kingston Value Ram. The ram was a tremendous imrovement. I want to add a PCI express X1 video card I have picked out, and a 1TB hard drive to increase movie storage capability.

I am currently using to coax audio out to my amp and WMP to play the IFO files directly off the disk.

I have built a couple computers, but really still a newbie. Do I need to get the MB drivers before I install a new HD and OS, and will the update that is available work, or do I need to have the original MB drivers on hand first?
December 30, 2008 2:22:55 AM

Along these lines, I was wondering if someone couldn't provide some help/insight into the following with this motherboard:

I have an HP A1210n (Athlon 3500+) with the ASUS "Amberline" A8AE-LE S939 motherboard that has an ATI Radeon Express 200 IGP (RS482) and the absolutely horrible ATI SB400. I ordered the system restore discs from HP since they wouldn't burn at all from the HP 'supplied' software on the system recovery partition. Due to some hardware issues, I would like to replace the old ASUS A8AE-LE ATI motherboard with an ASUS M3A78 ATI/AMD 780G/SB 700 with a corresponding AM2+ CPU & DDR2 RAM replacement. The question becomes, will I have to reinstall the OS with the new MB/CPU/RAM on the same old hard drive even though the new 780G/SB700 are using the same Catalyst drivers? Or will I be lucky enough that all I have to do is install the replacement CPU/RAM/MB bundle into the case and reattach the hard drive, DVD, power/fan connectors?

That is, I really don't want to have to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall all apps, data, etc. If I have to, I might as well make an entire new system.

How was HP able to sell so many of these boards when it takes hours to copy via USB?
January 18, 2009 12:54:22 PM

I installed an AMD Opteron 180 on the HP a1230n with an Asus Amberline A8AE-LE motherboard last night and everything is running great. The installation was not easy as the HP installed AMD 3800+ and Fan did not want to come out. After loosening the Fan and slowing rocking it to release it from the processor - yikes the process came out with it. I was worried the socket was damaged but thankfully it was not. I will need a torch to separate the old processor from the heat sink.

HP a1230n
Asus Amberline A8AE-LE
2 GB Kingston PC3200
Samsung 200GB
WD 500GB
Windows XP Pro
used primarily for surfing, budgets and digital conversion of home movies
January 20, 2009 1:44:53 PM

TheOtherBubka-

Yes you will have to reinstall starting at zero. The problem is that the OS is customized by HP for the previous setup. When installing an OEM copy of the OS the software configures itself to the equipment at hand and will accept the new equipment and the new drivers as needed. The restore function will look for what was there before and it is veeeery likely that you will run into problems if the MB that the OS is expecting is not present. I'm not saying that you will but it is very likely that the OS install will run into some problems. Have all the updated drivers standing by. My girlfriend has this MB which is why I monitor this thread. The case (too tight, not enough fan placements) and PSU (too small and under powered without adequate plugs for upgrades) for this system should go also. My suggestion is to use it for what it is a utilitarian home PC. I have installed a better CPU and GPU and more and better ram within the limits that the MB and bios allowed. She gets about 7800 on the 3Dmark06. The real problem with this system is the MB it is a socket 939 and better CPUs are not to be found and also the bios will not allow any adjustment or over clocking. HP does this I'm sure for warranty sake. Plan for a new system with all new components.
January 25, 2009 7:31:30 AM

hello all

i have the hp m7100 media center with this same mobo. it has the ati express 200 card which sucks. i also have 1gb ram and was wondering if the graphics card would improve if i added 1-2 gb more RAM to the system because i read in an earlier post here that the graphics card would draw more memory and improve performance.
my alternative option would be to add a dedicated graphics card and was wondering if this is possible since it is only a PCI-E1 slot? is there any site that would enable me to choose a graphics card for tht slot option? thanks again everyone.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2009 6:20:36 AM

kkc338 said:
hello all

i have the hp m7100 media center with this same mobo. it has the ati express 200 card which sucks. i also have 1gb ram and was wondering if the graphics card would improve if i added 1-2 gb more RAM to the system because i read in an earlier post here that the graphics card would draw more memory and improve performance.
my alternative option would be to add a dedicated graphics card and was wondering if this is possible since it is only a PCI-E1 slot? is there any site that would enable me to choose a graphics card for tht slot option? thanks again everyone.

u can get a few good cards like the Radeon HD 4350 PCI-E card which needs no power connectors or anything and i think a 300 or 450 watt power supply but yes its a good idea to have 3GB or 3.5GB (3 x 1GB & a 512MB) of RAM inside ur PC
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2009 6:23:01 AM

savkid said:
I installed an AMD Opteron 180 on the HP a1230n with an Asus Amberline A8AE-LE motherboard last night and everything is running great. The installation was not easy as the HP installed AMD 3800+ and Fan did not want to come out. After loosening the Fan and slowing rocking it to release it from the processor - yikes the process came out with it. I was worried the socket was damaged but thankfully it was not. I will need a torch to separate the old processor from the heat sink.

HP a1230n
Asus Amberline A8AE-LE
2 GB Kingston PC3200
Samsung 200GB
WD 500GB
Windows XP Pro
used primarily for surfing, budgets and digital conversion of home movies

Hey do u know any wanna sell their memory (PC3200) or do u wanna sell yours if u have any to?
March 23, 2009 2:08:26 PM

rsteeb said:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=294618

Happy to report success with the X2 4800+ upgrade. Smooth as silk!

Only problem was "media center receiver service" kept displaying nastygrams and I had to disable it.

Hello! Did the new processor just "plug & play"? Were there any settings that needed to be changed manually or was it completely automatic? I'm running Windows Vista x86 and I'm wondering if a CPU upgrade will be transparent to the OS, or if a repair will be required?
March 26, 2009 1:32:55 AM

flyboy320 said:
When I changed the processor, I changed the fan to a Thermaltake TR2-R1 but the motherboard didn't like it and gave a bootup error saying no fan installed and would shutdown. Once diabled in the bios, it would work fine. Had the same problem with MCE and ended up doing a complete re-install but is working fine now.
You disabled the CPU fan monitor in the BIOS?!? I see the Hardware Monitor page, but it only shows three measurements, no adjustable settings or options. Do you have the v3.13 BIOS for the A8AE-LE?
March 31, 2009 10:46:39 PM

I have the same MOBO. I just upgraded from an old Sempron 3200+ to an Opteron180 (S 939). The CPU speed is still 1.79 ghz, not 2.4! Can someone help me. I know I am treading into territory that I don't know well, but when I looked at the specs on HP's site, they stated that an upgrade to an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ would be fine. The Opterons specs are virtually identical except for more cache memory and a slower system bus (1000 vs 2000). I have read elsewhere that people have used this CPU on this board with few, if any problems. I have an HP/Compaq Presario SR1603WM. Any help or suggestions? Did I make a $185 mistake, or can I do something about this?
April 1, 2009 3:15:21 AM

I don't know if this will help you, but the key to disabling fan error is F11, NOT F1 (no pun intended). It's strange, but F11 gives a BIOS that looks just the same as F1, but with more options.
April 1, 2009 3:21:57 PM

pokeyone said:
I have the same MOBO. I just upgraded from an old Sempron 3200+ to an Opteron180 (S 939). The CPU speed is still 1.79 ghz, not 2.4! Can someone help me. I know I am treading into territory that I don't know well, but when I looked at the specs on HP's site, they stated that an upgrade to an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ would be fine. The Opterons specs are virtually identical except for more cache memory and a slower system bus (1000 vs 2000). I have read elsewhere that people have used this CPU on this board with few, if any problems. I have an HP/Compaq Presario SR1603WM. Any help or suggestions? Did I make a $185 mistake, or can I do something about this?

Do you have the latest BIOS installed? I believe it is 3.15 and is available from HP.com. It installs in Windows so it's easy to do. Hope this helps!
April 1, 2009 3:25:22 PM

Yes, I have it. does this CPU fluctuate in its speed, i.e., adjust speed as needed, 'on the fly'? If so, that could be why it doesn't register at the spec speed on CPU-Z or through Windows. any thoughts?
April 1, 2009 4:05:58 PM

pokeyone said:
Yes, I have it. does this CPU fluctuate in its speed, i.e., adjust speed as needed, 'on the fly'? If so, that could be why it doesn't register at the spec speed on CPU-Z or through Windows. any thoughts?

I would try to find a few reviews of the CPU that include benchmarks. That may help you determine if it's performing well on your system. The power saving features in the OS and the BIOS might throttle down the CPU when it's not working (such as when the system goes into standby mode), but normally if you put a load on the CPU it should go to 100%.
April 19, 2009 4:36:00 AM

I really have a big problem here.
I just bought a new Case.
Because Compaq Case is small and not for gaming purpose.

The thing is, I can't turn on the computer, because the new Case have cables like: Power SW, Reset SW, HDD LED, Power LED (old case just have a single cable to connect)
I don't know how to put this cables on Motherboard.

But I think everything else is connected (HDD, GPU, ATX12V1, ATXPWR1, Audio).

Except those cables.

Someone knows?
June 9, 2009 1:42:54 AM

Hello All

Please don't close this thread. I have an HP m7100e that is going on 4 years and I love it, only had to upgrade ram from 512mb (2X256mb) by adding a 1GB stick. Just need to buy a Digital TV tuner card.
Plays videos and music no problems, just not at the same time. The digtal audio out works great with my surround sound system. I have an XFX GeForce 8600 GY, otherwise I couldn't enter Prokion temple in Last Chaos. So I think the PCI-e slot is 16x, otherwise how can you tell if it's making use of the 16x or not.
Came with an AMD 3200+ cpu and MCE2005. One question, how can you tell what your DDR timing settings are, does anyone know and can you post the information here please.

Thanks and ya all take care.
July 3, 2009 4:58:30 PM

So i take it since this is a custom build from asus to HP, And seeing as it is so old now that there is nowhere to find one to purchase ? My friends comp went down and its not posting which tells me its the mb so i found out it is this mb in question which lead me to this thread. Now seeing as i dont think buying the same mb is possible can anyone recomend another mb with similar stats that is availible to purchase ?
August 5, 2009 3:05:47 PM

winxtec said:
I really have a big problem here.
I just bought a new Case.
Because Compaq Case is small and not for gaming purpose.

The thing is, I can't turn on the computer, because the new Case have cables like: Power SW, Reset SW, HDD LED, Power LED (old case just have a single cable to connect)
I don't know how to put this cables on Motherboard.

But I think everything else is connected (HDD, GPU, ATX12V1, ATXPWR1, Audio).

Except those cables.

Someone knows?

I have the EXACT problem can someone please tell me where the connectors go in detail or a picture that would be GREAT.
August 5, 2009 11:45:24 PM

sharpy992 said:
I have the EXACT problem can someone please tell me where the connectors go in detail or a picture that would be GREAT.

On almost all mobos...pow sw, etc will all be labeled on the mobo and will be a matrix of pins. There are usually more pins then u need to connect.

If you look at the back of the case's wire connector (like the POWER SW connector for example) you'll see a small arrow ...this indicates the positive side, the side with no arrow is the negative wire.

August 11, 2009 10:35:39 PM

To the guy that said because of no post, he knows it is the motherboard. Uh, did you know no video card or no RAM will cause a no post?
September 17, 2009 12:31:29 PM

uncle zeemus said:
On almost all mobos...pow sw, etc will all be labeled on the mobo and will be a matrix of pins. There are usually more pins then u need to connect.

If you look at the back of the case's wire connector (like the POWER SW connector for example) you'll see a small arrow ...this indicates the positive side, the side with no arrow is the negative wire.

Thanks, UNK, that helps. However since the A8AE-LE has a single connector, sharpy992 and others still have to figure out the pinout to connect their power switch and lights.
I have the exact OPPOSITE problem. After reading this thread, I made kindof a newbie mistake, ordering a 4800+, thinking I could swap out the CPU easily... However it turns out I got an AM2 not a 939 4800+ :(  And the 4800+ that fits a 939 socket is going for BIG $$$ :cry: 
Now I have to decide, do I send back the 4800+ or buy a new board to support it? If I buy the new board, I have to figure out the power/lights connector.
Did anyone get that figured out? If so can you post or PM me the pinout on that single 8 pin connector?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE - in case anyone is interested - I found a posting by dcman98 on Motherboards.org who had identified the pins on the CABLE on my Compaq.

The MOBO header of course is the mirror image of this.

Apparently my Compaq SR1630NX only has 6 of the pins on this header used. So the others pins on the board will remain a mystery for now. Here is the info from dcman98:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two cables which I am at a loss to connect. The first is a microphone jack from the face of the computer. I rarely use this jack, so to go without it is bearable, but if someone knows where it goes, all the better.

The second cable is the problematic, and vital, one. There are 6 wires from the front of the case, which control the power button, the system power LED, and the Hard Disc activity LED.

The six wires are arranged in the following manner (looking at the end of the plug)

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10

Where the numbers are the following:

1- Hard Disc activity
2- Hard Disc ground
6- System Power LED
7- System Power Ground
8- Power Button
9- Power Button ground

That is how the cable is wired.
Sharpy992 and WINxTEC are you listening?

Hope this helps some others.
September 29, 2009 5:42:50 AM

A friend of mine has a Compaq with the A8AE-LE in it with a Athlon 64(V) 3500 2.2Ghz processor. The other day the computer went dead, and having tried a few things, he believes its the board. I know it's an ATX board, but if he wanted to, could he just go to NewEgg.com or something and pick up a Socket AM3 board and a AMD Phenom II X2 chip, and some new RAM - or would it not fit the available space in the case? (I read that the A8AE-Le is 9.6x9.6" - most ATX are rectangular, aren't they?). What about connectors - did I read correctly here that he likely only has 1 case connector... will that work with other MBs? Thanks.
September 29, 2009 3:00:25 PM

Dingola,

I did my research and the A8AE-LE is a Micro ATX form factor board (or at least close enough for our purposes.)

The front panel connector looks like it plugs right in to the motherboard, a Gigabyte MA74GM-S2, it was $55 at Newegg.

Supports up to a Phenom II X4. Board isn't state of the art, but neither was the PC, even when it was new. So far, I would highly recommend this board as a replacement, looks like it'll drop in. The only thing is doesn't have is firewire, but I am getting a separate card for that.

Spectraman2002
October 11, 2009 5:40:37 AM

would you like to sell the asus A8AE-LE board. let me know need replacement

Ray
rayholly@embarqmail.com
419 747 4469
!