ATI is preferred to Nvidia due to superior driver support!

RichPLS

Champion
" ATI is preferred to Nvidia at this time due to superior driver support". It turns out that the real Vista Beta 2 is still a few weeks away and that the beta 2 we saw was the December build, a beta 2 but not the complete one.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Well that's not surprising considering its coming from MICROSOFT.
I wonder who made the gpu for the xbox 360?

Microsoft isn't exactly in a position to make unbiased statements about their competitor.

Seems like politics to me.

I've never owned an nvidia card, and probably never will.
I'm still holding a grudge against them for my 3dfx Voodoo3.
Now that was a great gpu. :p

Even without driver support, it ran CS faster than my radeon 9800 pro. :roll:

Amk

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2004
What do you mean the real beta 2?

I have beta 2 installed on a test system now...

I don't understand that ATI has better driver support than NVidia. I've always found NVidia cards to run much more reliably on games.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Maybe the ATI CARDS are more stable than the nvidia CARDS--but the drivers?!? Are you kiddin'?!? If ATI would have written better drivers I wouldn't be an nvidia fan.

ATI had suckey drivers in 2001-2002. The may be 400% better than nvidia now, but I don't care. I know nvidia backwards and forwards now, and therefore am unwilling to switch to ATI, the unknown. Call me lazy, call me stupid. ATI would have clobbered nvidia if their drivers in 2001-2002 were better cause I bought several models from them those two years and they all had one thing in common--driver incompatability. NVIDIA's at the time worked flawlessly.

My point is that many people choose brand A over brand B over problems or experiences many years ago. ATI probably makes better cards now--I don't care. Apple may make a better OS now than MS, but it's too late. I know MS and I'm stickin with em for now.

pat

Expert
ATI had suckey drivers in 2001-2002. The may be 400% better than nvidia now, but I don't care. I know nvidia backwards and forwards now, and therefore am unwilling to switch to ATI, the unknown. Call me lazy, call me stupid. ATI would have clobbered nvidia if their drivers in 2001-2002 were better cause I bought several models from them those two years and they all had one thing in common--driver incompatability. NVIDIA's at the time worked flawlessly.

My point is that many people choose brand A over brand B over problems or experiences many years ago. ATI probably makes better cards now--I don't care. Apple may make a better OS now than MS, but it's too late. I know MS and I'm stickin with em for now.

That's the problem with closed mind brand fan type of people.. Wake up.. 2006 is started and ATI has damn good drivers.. I'm not a fan of anything, but I know that ATI is as good or even better that nvidia now.

By the way.. back in 2001, Intel has better chipset.. why are you not running an Intel?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I agree with most of what you said...however, I try not to push nvidia that much because I don't know the competition enough to say mine's better. I have seen their drivers at work and I still think their drivers suck.

"By the way.. back in 2001, Intel has better chipset.. why are you not running an Intel?"

Cause I know them both well...and AMD's currently better. If I knew ATI well enough, and I believed it to be better than nvidia, well then I would choose it over nvidia. Right now I got nvidia though. Next...who knows? I might actually look into ATI now. When I got my last nvidia card the X1800 wasn't out yet. If it had been I may have chosen it.

So I guess you could say I'm with nvidia strictly due to timing...

Snale

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
ATi may have better drivers than nVidia... cant really tell the deifference. What is true is that nVidia is much better as a card manufacturer because of companies philosophy.
Ati's philosophy is to sell as many cards as it can with perfomance on a second level, while nVidia is focusing on providing state of the art tecnology to the enthusiast.

Get an example, nVidia 7800 series have had a splendid deployment in retailes, while ATi's X1k have lagged because of a lack of interest in this sector.

So while ATi stays the cheapest provider of GPU chips, Micro$oft will love them.

The same happens with AMD/Intel. Most AMD's chips are better than Intel's in lots of aspects, but Intel has a more efficient marketing tactic, so they get to sell more and become more "popular".

HeHe, I posted this a little while ago in response to someone else's silly statements. The best is finishing with the coup de grace;

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/1105/itogi-video-gallery-bugs.html

and latest batch (expect translated digest soon);
http://www.ixbt.com/video/itogi-video/1205/itogi-video-gallery-bugs.html

People like Bourgeois, are being just that, snobbish and ignorant based on past performance.

I don't give this much credit simply due to it being a submission issue really, but the bug list is pretty staightforward to show that this isn't your fathers' ATi/nV as it were.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've owned (and still own) a bunch of ATI cards including the original Radeon AIW (still running), 9000 pro AIW (stolen), 9600 AIW (givin away), x800 xl AIW (still running) and the 9600 pro turbo (laptop). I've had driver trouble from 3 of the 5.

At the same time I've owned a few nVidia cards including the Ti 4200(still running), 6800 (givin away) and my baby the 7800 GT. I've never had any driver trouble from any of the 3 nVidia cards I can remember owning. Of course ATI always eventually fixes their drivers but then removing the old drivers and installing new ones does not alway go smooth, sometimes requiring a complete system reload. I may be living in the past but there is no way I'll accept that ATI has better drivers. They have caused me many headaces in years past.

In fairness all the cards I had driver trouble with were AIW cards, so that may be the problem. I've never had serious driver issues with any of the non-AIW cards from either brand.

cleeve

Illustrious
Running both an Ati 9700 PRO and Geforce 6800 Ultra right now, both machines taking everything I can throw at them.

Sure, the 9700 PRO has to run at lower details, but it runs very smooth and clean on every networked game I play.

Still amazed how well the 9700 PRO holds up, in fact. And I'd swear to god when I updated it to the last catalysts it gave it a big boost in performance, although I havent actually measured fps on anything. but it seems alot smoother.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
.....look who's sleeping with who....

Now all we need is digital AIDS, hopefully AMD uses protection. :wink:

I found that ATI has a bit more tweakability and that they actually give a better picture (I have not used any new first world stuff yet so flame away.)
But the again Riva Turner is better than ATI tool i think. Either my compter needs a good low level format (yes i know new disks cant be low leveled) or i might have burnt a something on my card, i got a drop of about 400 on 2d mark 2005, but seeing as that only makes about 1 fps difference it could just be all the gunk i have trapped in between all my files. (no defrag in 2 months)

ATi may have better drivers than nVidia... cant really tell the deifference.

You could argue that, but the argument would be exactly the same as your following statement...

What is true is that nVidia is much better as a card manufacturer because of companies philosophy.

Can't really tell that.

Ati's philosophy is to sell as many cards as it can with perfomance on a second level, while nVidia is focusing on providing state of the art tecnology to the enthusiast.

BS! Does this include the Texture filtering issues? The Non-functioning NV40 HD acceleration? The FX series? What exactly proves your hypothesis other than some generalistations?

[quote[Get an example, nVidia 7800 series have had a splendid deployment in retailes,[/quote]

Good deployment because they delayed the launch of the NV48, renamed it the G70, then launched it late after stocvkpiling supplies. If they were all for the enthusiast they would've launched it early so those willing to spend top dollar could've gotten it when they wanted it not later.

while ATi's X1k have lagged because of a lack of interest in this sector.

It's far from lack of interest in the sector, it covers all three sectors and sells well too. The lack of product of the GTX-512MB does not mean more interest in the sector it simply means that there is no product so until demand reaches zero , demand>supply by infinity because anything over 0 is either undefind or zero depending on your approach (as X approaches 0 helps some understand)

So while ATi stays the cheapest provider of GPU chips

Actually I believe that would be Intel.

, Micro$oft will love them.

Ahh conspiracy theory, lovely. Then why didn't M$ love nV's desktop product when nV was making their Xbox chips? Ah that's right their products weren't complying with M$'s standards.

The same happens with AMD/Intel. Most AMD's chips are better than Intel's in lots of aspects, but Intel has a more efficient marketing tactic, so they get to sell more and become more "popular".

You dare to think ATi's wins are marketing based? LOL! nV is no slouch in that department, and if anything the Big Green's machine is more PR driven with their TWIMTBP program, their dawn/dusk, and their super hype of buzzwords like The Power of 3.

Seriously the argument is a silly one, as they are both very close nowadays, but your points are even more ridiculous that the precept of the thread. :roll: