Office 2003 and Term Serv 2003

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to install Office 2003 on a new terminal server we have up and
running. I downloaded the ORKTools and ran throught he configuration wizard
(Main point being able to configure Outlook) Everything seems fine, but when
I run the transform command it says its configuring setup, but then it just
quits, doesn't state any errors or installs anyting.

I've bought a few reference books and reviewing resources on the web, but
still no luck. Maybe there is something I'm missing when setting up office.
Does anyone have a set of instructions that worked for them?

(All other applications I've installed work great)

Thanks in advance!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Check if this helps:

Deploying Office 2003 in a Windows Terminal Services Environment
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011402071033.aspx

Installing Outlook in a Terminal Services Environment
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011402681033.aspx

I would also use verbose logging options when you install Office, to
see what is going wrong:

Customizing How Setup Runs
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011401951033.aspx

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Mark Bella" <bella_mark@hotmail.com> wrote on 11 apr 2005:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm trying to install Office 2003 on a new terminal server we
> have up and running. I downloaded the ORKTools and ran throught
> he configuration wizard (Main point being able to configure
> Outlook) Everything seems fine, but when I run the transform
> command it says its configuring setup, but then it just quits,
> doesn't state any errors or installs anyting.
>
> I've bought a few reference books and reviewing resources on the
> web, but still no luck. Maybe there is something I'm missing
> when setting up office. Does anyone have a set of instructions
> that worked for them?
>
> (All other applications I've installed work great)
>
> Thanks in advance!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I took your advice about the logging and found out my version of Office 2003
does not support Custom Insallations. (Stated that itself)

Is there a specific version of Office required?

I've been given a Microsoft Action Pack to use as a sandbox. If necissary I
can purchase a different version of Office for this.

Thanks

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Check if this helps:
>
> Deploying Office 2003 in a Windows Terminal Services Environment
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011402071033.aspx
>
> Installing Outlook in a Terminal Services Environment
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011402681033.aspx
>
> I would also use verbose logging options when you install Office, to
> see what is going wrong:
>
> Customizing How Setup Runs
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011401951033.aspx
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "Mark Bella" <bella_mark@hotmail.com> wrote on 11 apr 2005:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I'm trying to install Office 2003 on a new terminal server we
>> have up and running. I downloaded the ORKTools and ran throught
>> he configuration wizard (Main point being able to configure
>> Outlook) Everything seems fine, but when I run the transform
>> command it says its configuring setup, but then it just quits,
>> doesn't state any errors or installs anyting.
>>
>> I've bought a few reference books and reviewing resources on the
>> web, but still no luck. Maybe there is something I'm missing
>> when setting up office. Does anyone have a set of instructions
>> that worked for them?
>>
>> (All other applications I've installed work great)
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

I'm not very familiar with the different versions of Office, but I
know that the trial version of Office can't run on a TS.
Maybe your version is similar in behaviour?
Any standard version of Office should work.

287039 - Cannot Start a Trial Version of Office XP or Office 2003
on Terminal Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287039

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Mark Bella" <bella_mark@hotmail.com> wrote on 11 apr 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications:

> I took your advice about the logging and found out my version of
> Office 2003 does not support Custom Insallations. (Stated that
> itself)
>
> Is there a specific version of Office required?
>
> I've been given a Microsoft Action Pack to use as a sandbox. If
> necissary I can purchase a different version of Office for this.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Check if this helps:
>>
>> Deploying Office 2003 in a Windows Terminal Services
>> Environment
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011402071033.aspx
>>
>> Installing Outlook in a Terminal Services Environment
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011402681033.aspx
>>
>> I would also use verbose logging options when you install
>> Office, to see what is going wrong:
>>
>> Customizing How Setup Runs
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HA011401951033.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "Mark Bella" <bella_mark@hotmail.com> wrote on 11 apr 2005:
>>
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install Office 2003 on a new terminal server we
>>> have up and running. I downloaded the ORKTools and ran
>>> throught he configuration wizard (Main point being able to
>>> configure Outlook) Everything seems fine, but when I run the
>>> transform command it says its configuring setup, but then it
>>> just quits, doesn't state any errors or installs anyting.
>>>
>>> I've bought a few reference books and reviewing resources on
>>> the web, but still no luck. Maybe there is something I'm
>>> missing when setting up office. Does anyone have a set of
>>> instructions that worked for them?
>>>
>>> (All other applications I've installed work great)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.applications (More info?)

Its the full version of Office 2003, but there's probably some minor quirks
to it because its from the Action Pack. The program (If installed normally
thourgh the MSI) work perfectly fine.

I wanted to customize office so the users wouldn't have to setup their own
profile. I'll find some workaround and post my results here.

Thanks again for responding to my post.