Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
No, he means that the backside of the PCI cards' circuit board faces upwards, instead of the component side.

That's exactly as it should be, it keeps the majority of settling dust just lying on a bare board, instead of clogging up the components. It also keeps the area next to the RAM and the CPU socket free from any intrusions from the first PCI-e slot. Many motherboards are EXTREMELY tight, and on some, you have to remove a video card to get the RAM in or out. Can you imagine how tight it would be if the components (and therefore the cooling system) was sitting on top of the PCI-e slot? You woudn't be able to fit a decent CPU cooler at all.

The only downside I can see to the current system is that passively cooled graphics cards (like my Gigabyte X800XL) have to have heatpipes to get the heat round to the "top" of the card, in order to effectively radiate heat away. This **does* encroach into the CPU cooling area, but my Thermaltake Sonic Tower passive CPU cooler fits without issue.

This is a legacy thing, from way back, and it aint gonna change any time soon - not even with the BTX form factor.

So just get used to it.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Simple Solution...And Im Planning On It..... In My Acrylic Case Im Gonna Reverse My Panels So MY Motheroard Is Also Reversed (Unique In A Acrylic Case

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Simple Solution...And Im Planning On It..... In My Acrylic Case Im Gonna Reverse My Panels So MY Motheroard Is Also Reversed (Unique In A Acrylic Case

Make sure you incorporate extra cooling then (maybe ductwork?), because in that case, the heat from the CPU is going to rise through your cards and increase their temp, especially your video card.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
OK.

Without a picture, I can't help you cause I am not really sure what you are talking about. The cards are designed with the board up and the components down. The motherboard would have to be on the other side for them to fit any other way.

I don't know what you mean by backwards, cause you said the board is on top before.

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Your cards are not backward, and the agp and pci slots are not inversed(position wise).

You have a perfectly normal motherboard with perfectly oriented expansion cards. Your video card is on top, like it should be, with the pci cards underneath.

But for your computers sake, go out and buy a can of air and dust that computer out. When you have a clear side, stuff like dust really shows up.

Don't worry about your computer, your fine.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
OMG...first of all yes older PCs did have everything right-side up but that was waaayyy back to the Pentiums and early Pentium II systems. If I recall (could be wrong) AMD K6-II mobos were the first to have 'upside down' slots but maybe i'm wrong. Anyways, yes your system is perfectly fine.

But geez you may want to do a little compressed air thingie to your pc as it is a frikin dustbowl!

EDIT: Dust causes overheating, and contrary to popular belief, *most* PCs are cooled more efficiently with the case on, not off. Clean the frikin dust and your overheating problems should go away.