getting down

hi all,today I went from london to paris in the bravo, the ceiling is approx
25000 ' so I tried and managed to get there,question is how the heck do you
get down fast from there without stressing the plane,tia Bob
2 answers Last reply
More about getting down

    Short answer: the Mooney is a great plane will go high. To descend
    faster, (a) bring your RPMs down to 2500 and (b) deploy the speed brake
    (with the / key).

    Some more general suggestions:

    1. Your altitude is high for that distance. (I understand that weather
    is a factor, but at 25,000 feet you are pushing the Mooney's service
    ceiling.) A good rule of thumb is take your travel distance, multiply
    by 100, and use that as a basis for your altitude. E.g., Paris is 185
    nautical miles (nm) from London --> think 18,500 ft. range. At this
    altitude, you should be IFR anyway, so if you're going east let's say
    19,000 ft.

    2. Plan your descent point. Rule of thumb is allow three nm for each
    thousand feet that you need to lose. In the Mooney, I've found that
    it's better to multiply by 3.3. So, to come down to pattern level from
    25,000 ft., you want to start your descent 79 nm from Paris. How do you
    know when you're that close? If you know ground and windspeed, you can
    use dead reckoning. But hopefully your destination has a VOR/DME
    beacon. DME = distance measuring equipment. The readout for this is on
    the left-hand side of the Mooney's instrument panel.

    Also Sprach David Wilson-Okamura <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com>:

    > 1. Your altitude is high for that distance. (I understand that weather
    > is a factor, but at 25,000 feet you are pushing the Mooney's service
    > ceiling.) A good rule of thumb is take your travel distance, multiply
    > by 100, and use that as a basis for your altitude. E.g., Paris is 185
    > nautical miles (nm) from London --> think 18,500 ft. range. At this
    > altitude, you should be IFR anyway, so if you're going east let's say
    > 19,000 ft.

    Wow, you must have a lot of spare cash to fill the oxygen bottles for
    every flight over 115nm. Our FBO charges $45 a fill, that gets expensive
    pretty quickly... Not to mention the extra fuel burned to get to 19,000
    for such a short trip. IRL, in the Mooney Bravo, one would fly that route
    at 10,500 feet. In a non turbocharged aircraft, even lower.. not worth
    struggling up to 10,500 feet in a Skyhawk just to get 5% lower fuel burn
    than you would at 6,500.

    Dan

    --
    If you took away everything in the world that had to be invented,
    there'd be nothing left except a lot of people getting rained on.

    -- Tom Stoppard

Games Microsoft Video Games